It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 17:30

New Topic Add Reply
Post 20 Jun 2022, 17:38 • #1 
Sport
I recently purchased a McFarland Spruce Creek 8' 5wt from a forum member that should arrive tomorrow.

Can anyone provide some intel on this rod series and/or this particular rod? Is there a favorite line you like? How would you employ it? How does it compare to the ********* Western Glass, Steffen 4/5, or Barclay GP?

Any info would be appreciated.

Post 20 Jun 2022, 18:01 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
M. McFarland has used the Spruce Creek name on different rods so probably shouldn't generalize about action. The one brown, sanded Spruce creek that I had was accurately rated as a 5wt. with medium to med. fast action. Your choice of lines depending on your preference of action : a heavier line for deeper flexing slower action or a true to weight line for a bit faster action.

Post 20 Jun 2022, 18:19 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
What Tiptop said...

I have many of Mike's "Spruce Creek" iterations, all smooth sanded blanks, all among my favorite rods in any material.

Post 20 Jun 2022, 19:23 • #4 
Master Guide
I’ll echo what Tiptop said and I’ll add this, I’ve owned one, built out a couple, and I’ve cast several others, it’s a nice taper. *********’s Western Glass are 8-6 in length, so kinda tough to compare. The Steffens in 8’ (both the 4/5 and 5/6) are a bit more progressive in taper, in my opinion.

You’ll just need to play around with a couple of different lines and find which one suits you best, rather subjective with most of us which one will find the sweet spot to suit your casting style.

Post 21 Jun 2022, 07:54 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
I would start with a Triangle Taper 5, because most of McFarland's rods work well with them, since that is what he uses.

The Spruce Creek rod's I've cast (and Mike has been making them for a long time) are all magical. If the TT5 doesn't work, I would see if a normal WF5 or DT5 works well and then go up a half a line size if you want. I do think you have to relax a bit to get into the zone with a Spruce Creek. When you first pick it up and cast it in the back yard, it might seem nice, but not special. As you get used to it and start to let the rod tell you what it likes, it really shines.

Post 22 Jun 2022, 04:51 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Is it the sanded or un-sanded blank version?

If it's the former, I have 3wt, 4wt & 5wt Spruce Creeks and they all cast like dream with true to weight Sci Angler's Mastery DT's in the line weight specified on the blank.

I believe the un-sanded versions are tad quicker.

Last edited by Bamboozle on 22 Jun 2022, 13:05, edited 1 time in total.

Post 22 Jun 2022, 06:34 • #7 
Master Guide
Have and totally enjoy 2 of Mike's tapers - a 7'9" and a 8'8" - both perfect with a DT4... Both have very nice tips - and are progressive and versatile... there is a lively feeling that works perfectly from close in and to moderate distances. Both are "feel" rods that avoid the "dullness" of graphite (imho) at closer distances. The 7'9" reminds me of a Tom Morgan Winston era feel - crisp yet lively.
I respect Mike so much as he was in the 'glass game" far before the recent popularity - gotta like that...

New Topic Add Reply