It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:34

New Topic Add Reply
Reel for Barclay 8-6
Post 14 Jun 2022, 08:28 • #1 
Guide
I've been fishing quite a bit with my new Barclay 8-6, this year. I purchased it for the purpose of a close-range smallmouth bass rod; definitely handles fish just fine. However, the more I fish it on the water the more I think it's a trout rod. I've used a couple different reels on it have decided that I need to try a lighter reel. A Galvan rush 6 and an old Michigan Harris have both served well, but I wonder if they're too heavy. Maybe a lighter reel will make it feel more lively? Not sure? I don't have a light reel for 6wt lines, but I'm really tempted to try one.
Anybody else have some experience with different reels on this rod?

Re: Reel for Barclay 8-6
Post 14 Jun 2022, 09:03 • #2 
Guide
A good light reel for 6wt lines would be a Hardy Lightweight Princess which is 3 1/2” in diameter.

Post 14 Jun 2022, 11:24 • #3 
Guide
I have the same rod and use a Ross Evolution LTX 5/6, loaded with a Rio Smallmouth Bass 6wt line. It seems to balance the rod quite well. I use the rod for the same purposes as you and find it to be a great creek bass rod. In my hands it’s fantastic for that task.

Post 15 Jun 2022, 12:44 • #4 
Guide
I'm thinking a Ross as well.

Post 15 Jun 2022, 18:50 • #5 
Guide
I do think a lighter reel will make the rod more lively. Proper fly line choice is what helped me. The 8-6 will cast and fish just about any line. I have tried the SA MPX, SA Titan long, Rio Gold, and Rio Smallmouth. I found the rod seemed to fish and cast more nimble with the Rio Smallmouth line. I am not sure if it’s the actual line taper or the warm water coating.

I do want to try it with an SA or 406 DT 6 for trout fishing.

Post 15 Jun 2022, 23:12 • #6 
Master Guide
“ Maybe a lighter reel will make it feel more lively?”

I’ve never handled a Barclay but your comment/question is true for most rods, I believe. For my 8ft 5/6 Steffen, for example, I can make it feel slower vs faster by changing the weight of the reel and the balance point/fulcrum.

I’ll share some personal specifics since that sounds like what you’re looking for - hopefully to generate other ideas. I found a kitchen scale and a spreadsheet to be very handy.

My guess is that an 8ft 6wt glass rod with glass ferrules wIll probably like a reel that weighs around 155gm - 165 gm fully loaded (reel, backing, line all included in that total).

A 3 1/8” JW Young, a 3 1/8” Farlow Sapphire, a Ross Rhythm 2, a Heddon 310, a Lamson Guru 2, for example, are all reels that I have in that weight range (weights measured with reels fully loaded) just to give you some ideas. A modern (current production) Orvis Battenkill III click pawl for example would be a good size and aesthetic but would be even lighter fully loaded, so adding some lead wire under the backing would get it up to the 155-160gm range once it’s fully loaded, plus they’re easy to find and can be found for around $100.

Those are just some ideas…. YMMV
GOO LUCK

Let us know what you come up with.

Post 16 Jun 2022, 11:06 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
I would ask the builder what reels his customers have preferred. In a 'glass rod, I don't think "lively" is the feel to look for. By design--in both length and material--it more likely to feel responsive and controlled. More abrupt changes in power or direction (as implied by "lively") are apt to work against it. But there is a lot of room in these descriptions and expectations, so the maker will be the best starting point. My own take, at least in general for midlineweight glass, would be comfortable, responsive, and stable, not "lively." That's a European sedan, not a Mazda Miata. Try to make that sedan feel like a Miata, and you won't want to drive it. Same the other way around.

Post 16 Jun 2022, 14:22 • #8 
Sport

I fish an original Tibor Backcountry on mine and think it is a great fit. I’m in the salt so I wanted a bit bigger reel.

Post 16 Jun 2022, 14:27 • #9 
Guide
Thanks for the replies. I think I'm going to try a Ross Animas 5/6 on it. I have a 4/5 Animas on my Barclay 72 (4 wt ) and it seems to be a really nice match. Not too heavy and not too light; I like the feel of it while casting. The 8-6 with a 5/6 should be fairly proportional, in comparison. That's my idea as of right now.

Post 20 Jun 2022, 14:44 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
I always find small diameter reels give better feel. So if that's what you are primarily after a wide spool 3" reel would be my first choice. A hardy 5/6 golden prince or prince would be my first thought.

Post 02 Jul 2022, 10:22 • #11 
Guide
I just went through this same question with Chris' 82 tailwater special in 5wt. The reel I was using was too light and created way to much bounce (not sure if correct word) in end of rod and was too springy making casts at 40' and beyond difficult especially in even light wind. As I hauled or sped up I would get trailing loops (fly line crossed rod line but no knot). Reel is Hardy Marquis LW2 weighing 4.7 oz with Orivs Hydros HD line.

I then switched to a Orvis Mirage II reel and tried the Hydros line with it and at 7.1 oz the rod balanced well but casting still not as controllable as I thought it could be. Finally I replaced line with Cortland 444 Peach Series in WF5F and it casted so much better. The proper balance with heavier rod along with Cortland line really makes big difference as rod bounce is under control and loops can be managed better out to 40 and even 50'...occasionally.

Good on target casts with reasonable (not real tight but good) beyond 50' are difficult for me but not sure if it's me or 50 is beyond rods range.

The Tailwater Special is such a sweet rod and delivers a dry very gently and up to 40' I can be very very accurate. I need to work on extending if its within rods range though but I rarely cast beyond 40' or so in my area.

New Topic Add Reply