It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 19:29

New Topic Add Reply
Oakdale California?
Post 11 Jun 2022, 16:00 • #1 
Sport
Having a trip out to Oakdale California the week after next. We hear that the Stanislaus River there may have steelhead, stocked trout, basses (largemouth and striped?) or occasionally. Not sure. Thinking of a flyrod and spinning outfit each. So probably flyrod poppers, nymphs, streamers, and spinners and jigs. Looking for advice on sizes or anything I might be thinking wrongly about for this time of year. Maybe for just a few hours a day. Been there? Thanks.

Re: Oakdale California?
Post 11 Jun 2022, 17:15 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
I pass through there often on my way up to the Sierra and Yosemite. It's at low elevation there in California's Central Valley. Hot this time of year; plan on highs in the 90's, triple digits in summer. The "Cowboy Capitol of the World".

Have never fished the river. Check the regs for the section you plan to try; I think some sections like just downstream of Godwin dam is only open in winter on specific days of the week. From there it passes through a rocky gorge which is hard to access.

Downstream is a recreation area that is probably good for warm water fishing, but I'm not sure what kind of scene that is .... The part near town looks hard to bank fish (dense trees / brush); have seen pics of people kayak fishing it. Not sure if flows are too high right now, though. Dreamflows should tell you, and there are probably raft / kayak rental places that might know.

This time of year I'd head up 108 past Sonora into the Stanislaus NF instead, but that's just me. Yosemite is on a reservation system this year, so that might be tough.

Enjoy, and post pics :)

Post 11 Jun 2022, 23:15 • #3 
Guide
Second the suggestion about Stanislaus NF. Don't want spot burn, but Ralph Cutter's book might be a good place to start.

IMO, Oakdale is a good place to pass through. My truck got totalled there (I wasn't driving) as I was going to the Sierra.

Post 11 Jun 2022, 23:16 • #4 
Master Guide
If you have the time to drive east for 90 minutes or so, there are plenty of headwaters rivers you can access from Oakdale. Just pick out the names and hit Google for basic directions. The fish are not big, but you’ll be fishing where Odonata and I and others her post pics this time of year.

Post 12 Jun 2022, 13:55 • #5 
The stan is my local water, and very much worth a visit if you are in Oakdale. The hwy 4 and hwy 108 corridors are probably your best bet if you just have a day or so. Most of the watershed fishes like a tailwater, so 16-22s are normal. I have been swinging wet flies recently with good luck. Leisenring's Tup's nymph has been working well, here is a Stanislaus rainbow that took one last weekend. Tight lines!

Post 12 Jun 2022, 14:53 • #6 
Sport
Thanks. That’s about what we want to do. So the discussion here went to leader length for wet flies in this situation, and possibly using indicators — we are a bit blindsided by tiny lines. I try to watch line but….

Post 12 Jun 2022, 16:05 • #7 
I haven't been too picky with leader length, 7-12' range seems right. Depending on where you end up fishing you could easily be productive with an indicator or tight line rig, my brother has also had luck on the surface with purple Chernobyls lately.

For wet flies, most of my takes have either been visible from the surface, or the fish will set the hook themselves on the swing if you let them.

Rich at the trout spot or nick at Sonora fly co. are good resources if you need it.

Post 13 Jun 2022, 09:56 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Nice fish ! I keep thinking I'll go fish the N Fork sometime, but to date never have... I've read good things.

Post 13 Jun 2022, 16:16 • #9 
Thank you kindly. I'd say it's water worth visiting, but I suppose I'm biased. The middle fork is also worth a look, it tends to hold bigger fish.

Post 06 Jul 2022, 21:37 • #10 
Sport
Made it out there, and found the Stanislaus River in Oakdale is rather pretty and interesting, but alas we saw no fish, except something at a park, but not interested in our stuff or anything else. We found that it is probably best to use watercraft; I'm thinking canoe would be best for us -- but we had none. Good amount of through-kayakers, but I don't think enough to permanently deter the fish. The bottoms look relatively featureless with fewer large rocks to break up some of the deeper water. Clear water, but reflects the greenery. Shores are mostly protected by trees, the water moves rather quickly and is in my experience deep enough with that speed to swift us away, and was cold enough to numb my feet. We tried beadhead, stimulators, and those little plastic bugs -- we waited to getting other stuff if we detected there were something there or found we could be effective. Very sunny (UV index was 13?) and up to 105 -- just not my cup of tea after about 10 or so. The water level rose while we were there those days but maybe a foot or maybe less. I became fascinated watching hummingbirds buzzing around quickly as they do, to and fro picking off mostly unseen airborne bugs above the water. I always enjoy those that are as curious about us as we are them. We also tried UL spinning, using a quickly purchased telescopic rod for packing in the suitcase -- surprisingly workable, and found a hiker/camper in Yosemite with the exact same outfit using gold/black Panther Martin spinners very successfully for trout there; we forgot ours that day.

I appreciate all the insight and interest provided here. Truly a place of gentlemen and gentlewomen of anglers. Thank you.

New Topic Add Reply