It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 05:59

New Topic Add Reply
Post 24 May 2022, 10:48 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
This early in the season in the high country can be iffy. I looked at the Sentinel satellite photos on Caltopo for various locations. As one might expect, the further north you went, the more snow cover, and the more likely lakes were still iced over. But I noted my old standby early season lake appeared to be ice-free.

Saturday I headed up to the USFS office and picked up my wilderness permit, then on to the trailhead for an early start. It was a bit cool, but in the sun it felt warm. I came to the first creek crossing, flush with snowmelt.

WIth mid-height boots I hopped across. The trail was in early-season conditions, ie. poor. Good, that means few other people :) I hiked up a ways to the next crossing, but instead stopped at a plunge pool nearby where I'd caught browns in the past on nymphs.

I'd brought a BFS rig for the lake, and figured I'd try it out here, too.

JDM Daiwa Gekka Bijin Air TW reel, Abu Garcia Eradicator Baitfinesse 7' L, 4-section "mobile versatile" rod, Varivas Avani Light Game x4 0.4 PE

Roro VIB 2g

After catching a couple browns I packed up and headed to the crossing, which required wading shoes in the icy water up to mid-thigh or so. Brrr. I headed up the trail, and noted occasional snow patches.

This is why no trail crews had been out this way yet :) Before long, another creek crossing with a wet wade. I continued on up, noting spots along the way to fish on the way back.

In the trees there were still snow drifts to navigate. I came to a meadow around mid 8000'-ish and noted patchy snow on north-facing slopes.

I was moving sluggishly; I hadn't been above 8000' since February. By mid-afternoon I came to the lake.

The outlet stream was running well, and there were patches of snow under the trees. It was definitely cooler up here. I saw rises, but decided to set up camp in a snow-free spot first and fetched water.

First order of business: I'd picked up a Graywolf Trout Smith S-glass 5wt 8'6" 4-section earlier this year, and just had to test it out. The lake has trees up to the water's edge in most places, so roll-casting is important, and this rod did it well. I tried some small foam ants, and some hoppers. The fish whacked them, but nothing stuck until I tried a smoke jumper tied with a glass bead (probably there is another name for this pattern).

Redington Zero 4/5 reel spooled with Airflo Superflo Elite WF5F

It was getting late, and I decided to spend some time casting the BFS rig. It did pretty well, and around dusk I caught another rainbow on a black Roro VIB (too dark for pics). It was a chilly night, but fortunately this time of year they are shorter. Despite the swampy ground nearby, it was too early for mosquitoes, thankfully. I expect that to change in a few weeks ...

After breakfast I walked around the lake with the Trout Smith and went looking for more rainbows. This early in the season I decided to go with nymphs, and roll-casting a Flying Squirrel nymph tied ala tightlinevideo seemed to work well.

I ventured over to look at the inlet stream, which was flowing strongly. I saw lots of fish there, probably spawning. I let them be.

The lake does have many fallen trees which protrude out into the lake. The fish often hide near them as cover, and at the same time some of the trees are wide and stable enough to walk out on, somewhat like piers. Tons of fun :) I switched to a grizzly mini-bugger pattern I tie like little kern golden, and the rainbows went wild over it.

Eventually I tore myself away and decided to get started on the walk back out around noonish. Below the meadow I fished a creek with a keiryu rod and tungsten beadhead nymphs for brookies.

I continued on down the trail and stopped at those creek spots I'd had my eye on yesterday.

The afternoon was starting to get long in the tooth. I picked up the pace, as did the creek.

I returned to the car before 6pm, and commenced my long drive home.

Post 24 May 2022, 10:59 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Another wonderful report. Thanks. You always seem to work for your fun, but never make seem like work.

Post 24 May 2022, 14:38 • #3 
Master Guide
I salute your dedication, Sir.

Post 24 May 2022, 23:27 • #4 
Master Guide
That looks like it was a fine trip!

Post 25 May 2022, 01:53 • #5 
Guide
Beautiful Pictures!! Thank You!

Post 25 May 2022, 02:29 • #6 
Sport
Beautiful !

Post 25 May 2022, 04:13 • #7 
Master Guide
I lost a few pounds just reading your post :-)

Post 25 May 2022, 06:34 • #8 
Guide
Great report!

Post 25 May 2022, 06:48 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
Nicely done. Congrats!

Post 25 May 2022, 09:06 • #10 
Guide
Sounds like a great trip and the scenery was amazing. Thanks for sharing that with us.

Post 25 May 2022, 09:59 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
Fun trip!

New Topic Add Reply