It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 08:03

New Topic Add Reply
Post 24 May 2022, 10:46 • #1 
Guide
I am looking for a true to grain weight saltwater fly line. In particular something in the 6wt or 7wt category. I know this seems like a tall order. I have searched and I have found that most modern fly lines are poorly labeled, and most are one if not two lines classes higher than what it printed on the box. Do you have any recommendations? I am hoping to take an 8' 6/7wt to the Texas coast for Speckled sea trout and maybe smaller Red fish. The rod in question is not necessarily picky about fly lines, but I am sure if the line is actually grain weighted as a 9wt it might have problems. Thanks in advance for all of the help.

Post 24 May 2022, 19:23 • #2 
Guide
Call Tom at 406, he’s got a true-to-weight 7wt wff line that’s absolutely dyno-mite! I was on the same quest a couple years ago and the 406 line was the only true-to-weight line I could find, and also the only line I’ve every thrown every inch of out the rod tip. I was chasing schoolie stripers off the New Brunswick coast and the 406 line was magic!

Post 24 May 2022, 20:07 • #3 
Guide
If you are going any time soon the water is going to be WARM and that makes a difference. There are a number of "tropical" WF6F & WF7F lines that will work for you.

Post 25 May 2022, 09:16 • #4 
Sport
I am using the the SA Grand Slam 7wt on my Barclay Jackpot 777 7wt on the Texas Coast as it was close to what I considered the true weight, but could have gone with the 6wt too.

Post 25 May 2022, 15:04 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
I always used the old SA Mastery Bonefish lines, and they worked very well. As mentioned, the line needs to stand up to hot temps, at least in most cases.

Post 25 May 2022, 18:45 • #6 
Guide
Airflo usually (always) heavy
Cortland has many lines true to weight
Monic is either little heavy or on
RIO is more often heavy, but now they did not list their weights
Scientific Angler - only recent experience - is to true.

I post about line weights for bonefish here > https://raspberryfisher.wordpress.com/2 ... 0-12-ep-1/

Last - thought I have not discussed it - but I got a new SA Bonefish. Whether it is plastic or the core, it holds a better loop and shots better than the Cortland. It will be come my default line for my 8wt and 9wt for the rods that like a true weight..

Last edited by raspberry-patch on 26 May 2022, 05:45, edited 1 time in total.

Post 25 May 2022, 19:15 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
The lines called "salt water" are really "hot weather" lines with stiffer coatings and cores. In the North East the sea water is cold, the air is cool and most of the "bass"/"trout"/"fresh water" lines work well. An SA line designer recently told me that one of their "salt water" lines would be best suited for our Ozarks summer warm water fishing. He said that he uses tropical lines in Mi. bass fishing in summer heat.
Point being that any line you like in our 100F days for warm water should fish there just as well.
Cortland and SA both have true weight lines on their websites, although I think that doesn't matter much unless you just fish at 30'. Rio is right now in the middle of website redesign and info on their lines has to be found on third party sites.

Post 25 May 2022, 22:42 • #8 
Guide
A lot of the bonefish lines are true to weight. I think SA and Cortlands are, were.

I use SA grandslam 7wt on my 8. 205 vs 210, but the running line is lighter. I also like Cortland Hi-viz ( I can’t see squat) and as it is one wt heavy, I go down a weight

Post 26 May 2022, 05:49 • #9 
Guide
I find the deviation from the standard becomes very noticable once you get to "10 " at or greater. I note this in my survey at

https://raspberryfisher.wordpress.com/2 ... ne-survey/

Post 26 May 2022, 06:46 • #10 
Guide
Lots of great info. Thanks JHuskey for the suggestion of the SA Bonefish line , it is a true target grain weight line. Interesting taper to with a longer head. I might be the ticket for hot weather and hot water. Raspberry-patch, I enjoyed reading your write up on lines. Lots of good information. Thank you to everyone that replied.

Post 26 May 2022, 21:27 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
Mike, I’m an old man now - can’t cast for crap anymore, shoulder surgery and just much weaker than I used to be. I have found the Quickshot line (mfg?) is what I like now. Short heavy head and thin running line. With 25ish feet of line out it is not hard to shoot to 40 feet or more - sufficient for most salt situations if you are stealthy.

New Topic Add Reply