It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 10:17

New Topic Add Reply
First time shad fishing
Post 20 May 2022, 20:47 • #1 
I went shad fishing for the first time ever on May 17th in Downeast Maine. I took an Eddie Bauer 7wt that I bought last February with a WF floating line and sink-tip leader. I tied up a few shad darts based on internet patterns and a friend's guidance. The rod handled the dumbell-eyed dart well after I opened my loops so that I didn't catch it in the back of the head. I hooked a shad on my fifth cast. What a blast! The fish pulled hard, made runs, and went airborne during the five minutes it took to land it. I can see why some call them a poor man's tarpon. My buddy landed three more and I brought two home to smoke. They were delicious but I need to refine my filleting technique on missing bones.

Post 20 May 2022, 21:23 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
If you can avoid all the bones on shad you are some sort of magician.

Shad are great fun.

Post 20 May 2022, 21:44 • #3 
My neighbor use to Shad fish the CT River, he brought them home and threw them in his garden as fertilizer. Just saying.

Post 20 May 2022, 22:20 • #4 
Master Guide
I have only flyfished for them once and caught two and thought they were a lot of fun, especially in some pretty good current up by a dam on the Merrimack. I can see why people who have targeted them enjoy catching them as they put up a good fight. That is a nice looking setup and a fine fish. I tried the roe, but was not a big fan of it after frying it up.

Post 20 May 2022, 23:17 • #5 
Master Guide
Congrats Flickah, Nice fish. I agree - they're a blast on a fly rod!

Post 21 May 2022, 05:25 • #6 
Master Guide
Shad are fun! I did not know that they run up that way.
Nice outfit on the shad.

Post 21 May 2022, 06:52 • #7 
Guide
Nice job on the shad. Never had an opportunity to fish for them where I live by I always see on other forums and here., people targeting them. Thanks for sharing

Post 21 May 2022, 07:37 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
I used to chase them in the Delaware River with a behemoth 9'6" 8wt Leonard Bamboo rod I owned paired with a St. Aden reel, a combo that weighed close to 16 ounces.

I made my own shooting head from a sinking line and yellow Stren and I used heavily weighted shad darts I fabricated using yellow and white Mylar piping pulled over a hook wrapped in lead. There was no such thing as dumbbell eyes or bead and cone heads in those days. ;) However, the combo of a sinking shooting head and lead got the darts down.

It was a blast when you hooked up, but at least in Pennsylvania on the Delaware it could be feast or famine depending or where you were and when.

Congratulations on hooking up your first time out!!

New Topic Add Reply