It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:29

New Topic Add Reply
Post 17 May 2022, 22:55 • #1 
Master Guide
It has been a wonderful spring so far. I have been having a blast fishing for some naturally reproducing brook trout, but wanted to see if I could go find some new places and get into some bigger fish. I also wanted to try out a new to me Cortland Pro-Crest 1-620-1.

I took last Friday off to make it a long weekend and fished all three days. That is a rarity for me, but I did not have any commitments, so I got up early Friday (4:15) and decided to make some coffee and jump in the car and head out. I was able to fish some spots in central Massachusetts that I had never been to and I was rewarded with a rainbow, a couple brook trout and nice brown. I had been catching 7-9" brook trout in a local brook, but went to a larger river and then to a smallish stream that had piqued my interest from some books I had read. I am sure that these fish were the result of the stocking truck, but they all looked good and did not have beat up fins. Friday I used the Pro-Crest with a 5wt old SA Mastery line I had for a long time on the bigger water and then switched it up to my favorite rod - a 4wt 7' Fenglass with a Cabelas 4wt line. Was using a BH prince nymph and sometimes had a small BH black midge or a small hare's ear beadhead trailing it.

Saturday I went exploring some more of the stream that I have been having luck at after unsuccessfully prospecting around looking for spots on a more well known river that is supposedly well regarded. I just wasn't loving the spots on the bigger river and there were a number of other anglers out and I wanted to avoid the crowds.

Sunday had me go to a stream 20 minutes from me. I went to a spot that I had not been to in 12+ years. I was excited to not find anyone there and the conditions looked good with regard to flow. As I was gearing up a pickup pulled up with three young men in it - I was a bit bummed as this place is not that big. I struck up a conversation with them and they were really nice guys. They even had a couple of fiberglass rods and were nice enough to let me work upstream as they went downstream. I was able to catch a nice rainbow and another nice brook trout not far from where I started in a deeper pool. After working further upstream and getting soaked by a good rainstorm - I headed back downstream and almost landed another fish - touched the leader trying to land it on my CGR 4wt and it got off the barbless hook.

I also hit another well known spot in Central Mass Sunday afternoon, but it was a disappointment. Featureless sandy bottom and straight runs in the lower part of this river. Was using an Aventik 8' 5wt that I do like with an older Battenkill 5/6 reel I have had for 20+ years. More roll casting practice than anything else. I think I picked up some poison ivy to boot, but small price to pay for all of the fun.

I felt like a little kid after the weekend. Here are some pics - first time posting pics here and it has been a little challenging - and I am supposed to be a tech guy. Wanted to share as I love viewing the pics on this site and specifically in this sub-forum.

Post 17 May 2022, 22:59 • #2 
Master Guide
Looks like a great time nice fish. It’s fun to catch different types of trout on an outing.

Post 18 May 2022, 09:28 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Hard to beat that !

Post 19 May 2022, 09:01 • #4 
Master Guide
Good time! I live in MetroWest and fish Central MA a lot. Sending PM.

Post 19 May 2022, 09:07 • #5 
Nice fish, I am originally a Berkshire born and bred native and have fished the Millers River in central MA. I am hoping soon to escape FL and do some native brook fishing in western MA. How far from the Quabbin and Swift are you? Looks like fun.....enjoy!

Post 19 May 2022, 09:44 • #6 
Guide
Thanks for sharing. Nice summation of your trip and nice fish. It really has been a nice spring.

Post 19 May 2022, 18:51 • #7 
Master Guide
3wtRod,

Thanks for the comment. I am about an hour from the Swift, maybe a hair longer to get to the Swift. I am about 40 minutes from the top of the Quabbin and the Millers River.

I was considering the Swift last weekend, and headed in that general direction but landed at the Ware River. Was thinking about the East Branch of the Westfield. Last time I was on the Westfield years ago and I want to go back, but it would have been 1.5 hours to get there and I was anxious to get fishing.

Post 20 May 2022, 07:42 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Great outing! Nice brook trout!

New Topic Add Reply