It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 15:57

New Topic Add Reply
Post 12 May 2022, 23:39 • #1 
I just purchased a light weight 6' 6" Eagle Claw fly rod which is for 3/4 weight line. I have an old refurbished 1954 Heddon 8 foot glass rod with 5 wt DT line by Cortland. My other rods are graphite with 5 and 6 wf floating lines. I decided to trek back to my home waters in New England and try some small stream fishing for native brook trout. I have also had good luck with SA lines or is there something even better. I am a bit out of my league as all of my fly fishing for 40 plus years has been with nymphs, wets and some occasional dry flies. Time to try something different.

Last edited by 3wtrod on 16 May 2022, 10:48, edited 2 times in total.

Post 13 May 2022, 05:55 • #2 
Guide
Hello and welcome to the forum. In my experience, the eagle claw rods that I've cast have felt underweighted to me. So, you might be just fine putting that DT 5 wt line on it. Especially if you are just casting short distances on small creeks. Otherwise, if you really want a new line for it, or if in your experience the 5wt is too heavy, then I think any reputable 3 or 4 wt DT will be sufficient. Can't go wrong with Cortland Peach, and lots of people like 406 fly lines.

Post 13 May 2022, 08:48 • #3 
Guide
Hello and welcome to the forum!

I fished an Eagle Claw Featherlight 6’6” 5 wt for years all over New England and upstate NY. I only ever used true to weight 5wt wf lines. It always felt great with SA’s AirCel line. Rio Gold, which is slightly heavier, also worked well, and SA’s mastery trout gave it a bit of a snappier feel. The 406 lines are great and would most likely suit that rod well.

I’d suggest starting with a true-to-weight 4wt line and then adjusting from there depending on the feel you like or payloads you’ll be casting.

Whatever you choose, have fun and enjoy that rod!

Post 13 May 2022, 10:04 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Welcome. Good advice so far and I’d echo the suggestion to line it up with your current 5wt line. Best case, you find it’s a perfect match for you. Worst case, you learn nothing. Likely case, you learn something about whether a 3 or 4 is most likely to match before you buy a new line.

I’d also say any decent DT would be fine. I don’t have that rod but Peach and 406 are tried and true tapers on a lot of my reels.

Post 13 May 2022, 11:14 • #5 
Sport
Eagle Claw Featherlight 6’6” I have fished one for years for both trout and pan fish. The rod is not to fussy about line and that is the nice thing about fiberglass i have used 4, 5 & 6 wt on the eagle claw my pick for line would 5wt DT. Brand of fly line, I feel it is important. I have used a ton of cheap fly over the years most have end up in dumpster. So my feelings are that you should use a good fly line the big 3 SA, Rio & Cortland all produce some inexpensive fly line that are good stuff. Hope this help you

Post 13 May 2022, 12:23 • #6 
Sport
I think Cortland peach is the way to go.
406 lines are very good also

Post 13 May 2022, 12:31 • #7 
Thanks for the help. When the rod arrives next week I will put the reel from my Heddon glass rod with peach DT5 and give it a try.

Post 13 May 2022, 16:05 • #8 
Guide
I've always thought these rods were best with a 5 wt. line. If it is marked FL300 on the rod, use a 5 wt.

Post 13 May 2022, 17:20 • #9 
Master Guide
First off congratulations on purchasing one of the funnest glass rods ever made. I picked one of these up shortly after getting back into fly fishing a few years ago. I bought a Bass Proshop 5wt and it is a great combo that I have caught a lot of 8-12 inch pond largemouths that feel like a Goliath grouper on it. I’m not a great caster but this rod gave me the confidence to keep fly fishing and I’ve become proficient to a point where I do not feel like I am embarrassing myself out on the water and I credit this rod for a lot of that. Now it gets a lot of use by the kids and they have no complaints either. Eagle Claw gets a bad rap if you ask me and I now own a few Sweathearts, Featherlights and two Crafted Glass rods. I am a huge fan of the crafted glass series and fish the 3WT with a Cortland Peach DT 4wt and the 5wt with a Cortland Tropic 444 6 wt. both rods could easily go up one more line weight. I grab them for fishing the ponds around my house which is 75% of the fishing I do. You could put a really expensive line on your Eagle Claw but I’d check out Brass Pro Shops <$30 fly lines and then upgrade to a 406 or Cortland if you decide to stick with it.

Post 13 May 2022, 17:53 • #10 
Thanks, I will try out the line on my current 5 wt Heddon glass rod to see how it casts then go from there as to a heavier or lighter line. I do need to get a reel as my Heddon glass rod has a reel a bit too big for that small light weight Eagle Claw. Here is my 5wt DT line on my Pflueger Sal Trout reel.

Last edited by 3wtrod on 15 May 2022, 16:06, edited 1 time in total.

Post 13 May 2022, 19:18 • #11 
Master Guide
Classic combo well done. I’m sure that 5wt will work great for you.

Post 15 May 2022, 16:07 • #12 
The new reel just arrived via Amazon. A nice Martin Caddis Creek CC65 with palming rim. It's basic but looks nice! The rod is due in later this week, supposedly Thursday.

Post 16 May 2022, 22:44 • #13 
Master Guide
I have that EC rod and was just looking at the 4wt lines I had on some reels that I use with it. I had some mid-range older Cabela's lines on a few and was measuring them out on a digital scale, then converting grams to grains, and they were all measuring almost a whole line higher than they were marked. I think it will work fine with a 5wt line as others have stated and will be nice with a 4wt DT line too. I used the rod a week ago on a small brook here in central MA to bring some native brook trout to the net and it was a blast.

I have used that rod for trout in ponds and brooks and fishing for perch and bluegills in ponds. It's not going to win any beauty contests, or have people envious of your equipment, but that is part of the charm, at least for me. I just ordered the 7' 5/6 last night on a whim and already have the 8' 5/6 that really is a 6+ wt rod that would be good for a 7wt line. I bet that Heddon would be a fun one to break out as well on the streams and brooks here too.

Post 17 May 2022, 10:20 • #14 
I just did a comparison of SA to Cortland lines I have, both WF but the SA far outcasted the Cortland. I am thinking of maybe going with SA DT instead of Cortland DT. I know they are not DT I compared but the SA seems to be a better all around line, even feels slicker. It's a shame as I started fly fishing with a Cortland graphite rod, Cortland Crown reel with Cortland WF line. I tried SA and will now never be loyal to one brand.

Post 17 May 2022, 18:18 • #15 
Guide
I use a wf3 tri-taper on my 7’ Orvis glass , and it performs nicely , started also switching around with the Wulff Longbellies , and equally well with the Orvis , also great with the Livingstons

Post 19 May 2022, 18:25 • #16 
The rod came in today,the new reel only has backing, waiting for the SA Frequency DT4F. My wife sews, knits and crochets so she made the rod sock. The rod case I picked up years ago at Orvis in Manchester VT in the bargain basement, maybe 25 or so years ago. It never fit any rod I had, think it was for a 7 footer. I took the reel from my Heddon glass rod, Cortland 444 DT5F and tried a few casts in the back yard. I was amazed how easily I put out 30 feet plus,it is definitely "willowy", reminds me of the 1940s Heddon bamboo I handed down to my son.

Post 19 May 2022, 18:55 • #17 
Master Guide
Sweet rod sock your wife created for you! I had my Dad sew me up some out of some flannel years ago and was considering getting my girlfriend's daughter to sew me up some for my Eagle Claw rods (have three).

Funny, I used to go to Manchester and go to the bargain basement and picked up a few of those cases, as well as lines, a rod and other accessories - also about 25 years ago.

Post 24 May 2022, 12:39 • #18 
All lined up with DT4F Scientific Angler Frequency. Casts nice, noticed it lands softer than my WF6F on a graphite rod.
I had to stop using the Martin reel. It had a gap between the spool and frame allowing the fly line to go in between and then wind around the spools axle. I am now using a Scientific Anglers Concept 2 reel of much better quality. The new Martin looked good but it's quality is no longer there, buyer beware.

Post 28 May 2022, 07:27 • #19 
Master Guide
I have that Martin Caddis Creek on my EC 6’6 and it is a piece of junk. Screw fell out and it gets all tangled up and caught between spool and housing. You are right about the QC on these … there is none. But my daughter stole this rig from me and she doesn’t seem to care …

Post 01 Jun 2022, 22:00 • #20 
Sport
Give the 406 lines a try they are made for glass and bamboo. Fish great, very durable, and owner/designer Tom is a great guy.

Best,
Mike

New Topic Add Reply