It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 02:41

New Topic Add Reply
Post 07 May 2022, 19:25 • #1 
Master Guide
I took my first adventure trip of the year this week. My usual MO has been to hit little mid-elevation creeks in the Sierra in May, but the USFS has closed access to a number of places I like to go due to the recent wildfires. I decided to switch things up and head down to one of the "big water" rivers that carve deep canyons west of Lake Tahoe on their way to the Sacramento-San Joaquin River Delta and out under the Golden Gate.

2021-2022 has been another drought year, so the rivers are not running high. Still, the one I chose was pumping along at over 1000 CFS (it'll be well under 200 later this summer). While many rivers get super cloudy during runoff season, Sierra rivers carve through hard granite or volcanic rock and the lack of fine silt leaves them quite clear. The high water spreads out the fish, however, and turns nice pocket water sections into fast-flowing chutes that aren't hospitable to holding trout. So my expectations weren't terribly high. This is a really good time to hike, however, since the air temperatures are still reasonable.

The trail I chose drops nearly 2000 vertical feet down the canyon in a very short distance, crosses the river at a foot bridge, then travels along the river for several miles. Actual access is limited to spots in between cliff sections. So it's definitely adventure fishing. Likely looking high-water spots include soft water on the inside of bends, some channels accessible by going deep with nymphs, and a few flat areas with cobblestone beds.

I decided this would be a good shakedown cruise for the western river "big glass gun" I assembled over the winter. I managed to score one of the last of the first-generation Orvis Superfine Glass 6wt rods and set it up with a Hardy Marquis 7 holding a Scientific Anglers Mastery Infinity WF6 line. This is my current best answer to the question of how to push out big bushy dry-dropper rigs, high-stick with multi-fly indicator nymphing setups, or turn over mid-sized weighted streamers.

The fly rod verdict: mission accomplished. The rod and reel balance is just a little tip-heavy at the grip. I switched back and forth between a beadhead prince nymph under a chubby chernobyl and a 2-fly indicator nymph rig. The balance feels good for high-sticking the nymph rig through channels and the rod has plenty of power to lift the nymphs at the end of a drift in preparation for the next cast. Pushing the dry dropper rig through a breeze was similarly a snap. I even put a little yellow sally on at one point and was able to make a good facsimile of a dry fly cast without slapping the water (too hard, anyway). The rod largely disappeared and I just fished, which makes it perfect.

The fishing verdict: As expected. Not a lot of action, but I wasn't skunked. I managed to convince one very young rainbow to grab the dropper. This may be a smallest-fish-on-largest-rod record for me.

Hiking verdict: Gorgeous and strenuous, as expected. The cool air temperatures blunted the physicality of the hike. Plenty of wildflowers were still out all along the trail, and there were a few critters to liven things up including a big centipede and a couple of energetic frogs. I treated the hike up the canyon at the end of the day as a "leg day" workout session and was not disappointed. My quads are shredded today.

Now that I have some good fishing sections scoped out, I definitely want to go back in the fall when the water level is down. I expect that it will fish like a completely different river. I just have to stay in shape for the hike out!

Pics follow:

This image does NOT do justice to the steepness of the trail.

River section with no practical access. I bet it goes off with rises during evening hatches.

Spring wildflowers give the trail a splash of color.

More wildflowers.

Less-welcome flora on the trailside.

Looking downriver from one of the accessible spots.

My "big glass gun" rig for the day.

"But he was a hard fighter!"

The footbridge.

Looking back down the canyon after grinding out the hike back up.

Post 07 May 2022, 20:27 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Always fun to scope out water. Looking forward to a fall report.

Post 07 May 2022, 20:42 • #3 
Guide
Thank you for sharing. I'm always looking forward to your post.

Post 07 May 2022, 20:53 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Looks like a good time to me. Catching fish is overrated compared to the rest of it.

Post 07 May 2022, 21:17 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Pretty scenery, and combined with the workout sounds like that makes it worthwhile in itself. Bet there are some nice holes for nymphing in there...

Post 07 May 2022, 23:09 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Pretty scenery.

Post 08 May 2022, 08:17 • #7 
Master Guide
Beautiful, thanks for sharing. Always good to see what our members are up to … I think of the years I lived in North California driving by these places or doing training up in Bridgeport CA and never getting a line wet … wasted youth!!!!

Post 08 May 2022, 10:06 • #8 
Nice report and photos! For those of us who don't hike as much there must be some other Western Sierra rivers at similar elevations with easier access (but not too easy so not too crowded). I'm going to look closely at the maps.

Post 09 May 2022, 18:04 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
Looks like a great day out. Our rivers and streams here are blown out by snowmelt right now.

Post 10 May 2022, 08:59 • #10 
Piscator
great country - thanks for the report and photos

Post 10 May 2022, 17:20 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
KOOL! Thanx for sharing.

Post 10 May 2022, 21:09 • #12 
Master Guide
As always, a wonderful post and pics!

Post 11 May 2022, 08:48 • #13 
Guide
Thanks for sharing your adventure with us. The foot bridge looked like a lot of fun to cross. Beautiful place.

Post 11 May 2022, 15:52 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
thank you, a nice report..

wow that's some intimidating water..

Post 11 May 2022, 17:47 • #15 
Sport
Always love getting your reports back from he field; keep at it!

Post 11 May 2022, 20:19 • #16 
Guide
Amazing scenery. Makes we want to leave the East Coast. Thank you for sharing. Also, rod/reel combo looks stellar.

Post 23 May 2022, 19:04 • #17 
Master Guide
Great trip report and pictures. That rod and reel combo looks fantastic too. A much better way to get 'leg day' in than at the local gym.

Post 24 May 2022, 07:44 • #18 
Glass Fanatic
Looks like a fun trip and great workout!

New Topic Add Reply