It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 20:05

New Topic Add Reply
Post 07 May 2022, 14:51 • #1 
Sport
I haven't gotten my St. Croix Imperial 7090 XXL wet this year, so I dusted it off last night and attached the MG3 reel for an early jump to a river. The Texas Hill Country is well below average for rainfall this year so our spring fed rivers are suffering. We’ve gotten some rain the past week or so, so I decided to take advantage and hit up the Medina River this morning.

My dog is wondering if he gets to go at 4:30 am. (He did not)

I left alittle before 5:00 am to get a jump on the day. Our forecast high was going to be over 100℉, so I wanted to be on and off early. Made the 1.5 hour drive, got my gear together and was fishing by 6:45 am.

I hit up a new stretch of the Medina, Benton Crossing. First fish of the day was a Warmouth (rock bass); my first one in a couple years.

Continued up stream and caught a good variety of sunfish and bass, spot and Guads.

Chunky Guad

I ended up wading only ½ mile or so up river. But I did catch a nce 13” ish bass; put a nice bend in the fly rod.

A really pretty stretch and well worth exploring some more in the future.

Deer Skull

I pulled off the water around 9:00 am to head to a second spot to target Rio Grande Cichlids, one of my favorite species to target. Just downstream I pulled into Moffett Park and began wading down stream.

I tried for almost an hour straight to catch a cichlid, and I had a couple hooked up, but never got one to hand. They were plentiful, but I just couldn’t make it happen today. Still, the sunfish were super aggressive still.

Nice Waterfall.

I was off the river by 11:15 for the quick drive back home. A good, quick outing with a great variety of species. I had shots and nearly every variety of sunfish found in Texas, cichlids, three species of bass, catfish and even carp. These are two great wade fishing stretches.

Shoot, I was off early enough to have time to fire up the pit and start smoking half a turkey breast and legs for dinner.

Post 07 May 2022, 15:40 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Looks like a good day, even with the heat coming. Thanks.

Post 07 May 2022, 17:37 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks for the report. That is some pretty water.

Post 07 May 2022, 18:25 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Nice !

Post 07 May 2022, 21:51 • #5 
Guide
:like

Post 08 May 2022, 04:39 • #6 
Piscator
Great report and photos, Josh.
Josh invited me along, but I did my driving, wading, heat exposure, and throw in cycling, the day before - also left me with Saturday chores at home.
Since my trip west with Lou was a great bike ride and less-than so-so fishing, I reported it on The CABE.

Post 08 May 2022, 08:10 • #7 
Master Guide
Always enjoy folks taking the time to post trips like this, thanks!

New Topic Add Reply