It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:06

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply
Post 09 May 2022, 17:59 • #26 
Glass Fanatic
nativebrownie wrote:
In more well traveled areas or state forests, a pack rod that sits inside a pack avoids questions that I enjoy evading: 1) "Catch anything?" On and on... ; and more importantly, "The fishing must good there, right.?" Secrecy can really matter in high traffic areas.

My answer has always been:

"Oh there are a few small brookies, not much to speak of. My trip is less about fishing than just being here."

Yes...I lie.

Post 09 May 2022, 21:41 • #27 
Glass Fanatic
Originally, I refused to hike/backpack with any rod in 2-3 pieces. I preferred 4 or more pieces for all the reasons you all have listed here. Even though I live and fish in the Rockies, our part of the mountains receives a much higher annual rainfall, and so the bushwhacking can be challenging.

In the last few years though, I've fallen in love with a few 3-piece rods, and I've decided that they're worth the hassle when I want to take them out. I do have a ********* 8'9" 5-weight (no longer made) that comes in 4-pieces, and I'm never letting go of that rod. It's one of my favorites in any configuration, and it's much easier to pack in. I am also finishing up a build on a Trout Smith's 8' 5-weight, originally in 3 pieces, that Shane turned into a 6-piece rod. It's now 8'2" in length and I am guessing a 5/6-weight. I'm excited to play with it soon.

Oh—and I'll second Odonata's thoughts on rod tubes for backpacking. The fluorescent light tube is a good option, one that I used for years. But if you can find the Tenkara Bum rod tubes in stock, they only weigh a bit more (in the range of a couple of ounces) and are far more durable and protective. His website allows you to get notices for when a product is restocked, so that may help you snag them.

Post 10 May 2022, 08:39 • #28 
Glass Fanatic
Yes, Chris at tenkara bum is great about the in-stock notices, and in general seems to commicate well. He gave me a heads-up about the medium cases, but I guess the long ones will take a while. Which is OK, since I won't really "need" it until late autumn anyway.

I like paveglass' approach to dealing with the inquisitive ;)

Post 10 May 2022, 08:52 • #29 
Glass Fanatic
paveglass wrote:

My answer has always been:

"Oh there are a few small brookies, not much to speak of. My trip is less about fishing than just being here."

Yes...I lie.

Here, I usually say a few small rainbows, and maybe add a disparaging “they don’t stock here, you know.” Definitely don’t mention brookies; even if said to stocking truck chasers, word will circulate.

Post 11 May 2022, 16:11 • #30 
Glass Fanatic
Quote:
Definitely don’t mention brookies..

the difference between East and West.. here in the West little brookies are frankly a bit of pest, overpopulating and crowding out the natives..
back East I used to seek out brookies, at least as much because the streams where they lived would be remote and beautiful, as for the fish themselves. Out here I use paveglass' line all the time when spotted with a rod in the backcountry ;-)

The best I can do in glass is 4-piece, a FF756-4 and a 8' 4wt I built from a blank. These will both go in the pack with a little care.
In graphite, a Redington Trout 5wt 9' in six pieces, and Cabelas Stowaway 3wt 8.5' in six pieces, are very convenient and much better rods than expected, tend to pack these when flying as they will fit anywhere.

Post 11 May 2022, 21:42 • #31 
Glass Fanatic
When out west, I often seek out brookies. I don’t keep trout often, and it’s nice to feel virtuous when I do. Locals are usually free with directions to brookie water, and discussion about why I’d eat them there, but never back home, can sometimes lead to a nice revelation about native cutts.

Post 12 May 2022, 18:17 • #32 
Master Guide
This little pack encompasses a vision of a great day. Ready to hike to a mountain stream.

1. Ben’s of Holland 7 ft 3wt 5 piece
2. Redington CT 3/4 reel with a DT3
3. Small shoulder bag with a few fly boxes and other basic necessities
4. Small ghost landing net
5. Two beers to tie to a root using a piece of string and an old tube sock
6. Plenty of room to spare for a lunch and snacks

Maybe it’s the simplicity of it, maybe it’s the practicality of it, maybe it’s the beauty of the thought and the anticipation of the upcoming adventure…. I dunno. But I like it.

Post 13 May 2022, 15:17 • #33 
Guide
I like it too... well said

Post 21 May 2022, 16:13 • #34 
Glass Fanatic
paveglass wrote:
I agree with Magic, I like my 6 pc rods because they fit inside my pack and nobody knows I am fishing back there. Nothing visible would say "fisherman" while I am hiking. Also, you don't need a rod tube to protect the rod if you place it properly inside your pack. Once I did take my favorite 3 pc rod and left it sticking out the top of my pack, a low hanging branch wiped it out of my pack and I had to hike a fair piece back to find it.

This. Packrods are my fav.

Airrite Stream is my weapon of packrod choice. 10 piece...

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply