It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:07

New Topic Add Reply
Post 03 May 2022, 13:10 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
I went on a Texas Hill Country fishing expedition last week. The thunderstorms on Monday delayed my start, but it remained pleasantly cool and overcast after that. I fished with a James Green Semi Para 8’ 5wt the whole time. The full flex let small Guadalupe bass and sunfish show off while still being able to fight larger fish and cast streamers and poppers.

I fished a few spots on the Pedernales near Fredericksburg on the drive out. This catfish grabbed a Cat Whisker as soon as it hit the water. It put up a tremendous fight culminating by charging directly at me after a long run.

I stayed at the Paradise Bend cabins in Hunt, TX. There was private access to a waist deep stretch of the Guadalupe River with some riffles that were home to small Guadalupe bass. The host was kind enough to drive me around and show me some nearby access points. The grill came in handy as Bernhard’s meat market had excellent steaks.

Hunt is beautiful, but it is full of camps and estates that try to block access to the river by putting up no trespassing signs and dams. I explored some new spots that had a low risk of getting hassled. However, the best fishing was at some spots that Bulldog showed me years ago.

I spent the last day on the Lllano in Mason where we had an FFR get together in the past. I slogged a mile upstream through some perfect habitat for largemouth and guads. Unfortunately, rains upstream had muddied the water, and nobody was catching anything. The scenery made the long wade worth it, though.

Last edited by bassackwards on 03 May 2022, 15:13, edited 1 time in total.

Post 03 May 2022, 13:57 • #2 
Sport
Very nice I've never been to that part of Texas. Maybe I will make there someday

Post 03 May 2022, 14:20 • #3 
Piscator
Thanks for the report Curtis.
The crossing he reported as best is a back-pocket place we never fish more than once/year.
Around the bend, you can't believe the fish you can find in small "gin clear" water over the hard dolomite.

The slow run tails out into a fast riffle, and down the hill, it opens into our version of a natural lake -
- flood waters lift the flagstone strata, forming a deep hole and moving the blocks into a natural dam.

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 04 May 2022, 06:31, edited 1 time in total.

Post 03 May 2022, 14:40 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
very nice report thanks guys a perfect trip in my book

Post 03 May 2022, 14:44 • #5 
Guide
Nice fishing report.

Edward

Post 04 May 2022, 06:29 • #6 
Piscator
BTW, Lou and I hope to be on the other side of the divide this Friday, bike-fishing to upper Pedernales crossings.

Post 04 May 2022, 10:15 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
I’d like to do another trip like this again. Would it be worthwhile to explore the guad around Comfort and the Medina around Bandera?

Post 04 May 2022, 10:42 • #8 
Piscator
IMO, the Guadalupe is best around Center Point (Kerr Co.), I'd ask Josh (neumie) about the Medina.
Problem with Comfort-Waring is Kendall Co. limited parking access - see bikefish.

Post 04 May 2022, 11:09 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
Such fun, different water. Always love pictures of all that

Post 04 May 2022, 14:38 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
That looks beautiful ! Have heard and read so much about the hill country.

Post 06 May 2022, 05:12 • #11 
Guide
Eye-pleasing, thank you!

Post 06 May 2022, 07:17 • #12 
Sport
Wow, great report and pictures. That steak looks mighty tasty.

bassackwards wrote:
I’d like to do another trip like this again. Would it be worthwhile to explore the guad around Comfort and the Medina around Bandera?

If you're looking at fishing the Medina up around Bandera shoot me a message and I'll help you out as best as I can.

Post 06 May 2022, 08:22 • #13 
Master Guide
Fantastic report. Even as a Texan I’m woefully untraveled / unfished in our legendary Hill Country. I’d do an excursion down that way with Curtis, Randy and Josh (and other takers) any time we can work out a date!

New Topic Add Reply