It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 02:32

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 30 Apr 2022, 07:10 • #1 
Guide
Hi guys,

I was away from fishing since my mother passed away last summer.

Recently, my 11-year-old daughter has become interested in fly fishing through enjoying "Slow loop", a Japanese manga/anime series with the theme of fly fishing.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slow_Loop

She wants to learn to tie flies so I supported her first fly tying yesterday.

I'm thinking of going fishing tomorrow for the first time since my mother died.
I hope I can go trout fishing with my daughter someday.

Post 30 Apr 2022, 07:31 • #2 
Master Guide
Tell your daughter, that she did a great job trying that fly----now will come even more fun when she gets a fish on that fly!

Post 30 Apr 2022, 07:49 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Tell her I make a orange caddis much like that, so I can see em on the water! :like

Post 30 Apr 2022, 08:12 • #4 
Guide
That’s awesome - hopefully your daughter will take to it and be a long time fishing buddy for you. Enjoy your day out tomorrow and sorry about your mother.

Post 30 Apr 2022, 08:31 • #5 
Master Guide
Condolences for your mother’s passing. Your daughter’s fly is awesome! Look forward to photos of her catching a fish on it.

Post 30 Apr 2022, 08:37 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
:D Simply perfect Sir. Your Mother lives on, in you and your Daughter, keep that in your minds and hearts.
Be safe and well,
John

Post 30 Apr 2022, 08:42 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Perfect!

Post 30 Apr 2022, 09:05 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
I'm sorry for your loss. My mother recently passed away too, in the autumn.

I think your daughter did a great job on that caddis; certainly better than my first attempts :)

I hope you are out fishing soon !

Post 30 Apr 2022, 09:35 • #9 
Guide
Everyone,

Thank you for your condolences.
I hope my daughter will be more interested in fly fishing.
I will enjoy fishing tomorrow.

Post 30 Apr 2022, 09:54 • #10 
Guide
May memories of your Mother be a blessing for you. Now, Slow Loop and your Daughter's interest and fly tying ability are just too cool. Enjoy your fishing. Thank you for sharing!
Carl

Post 30 Apr 2022, 15:02 • #11 
Guide
I am sorry for your loss.

My daughter loves fishing, it has much improved our relationship.

Post 30 Apr 2022, 15:34 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
If thats her first fly that she has tied,shes well on her way.Its better than what I first tied. :eek

Post 01 May 2022, 09:10 • #13 
Guide
Everyone,

Thank you for complimenting the fly my daughter made.
In fact I gave her a lot of help to make the fly.
But she spent a lot of trial and error and patience to reach the result.

Last edited by takeru on 01 May 2022, 09:57, edited 1 time in total.

Post 01 May 2022, 09:12 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
Are those books available in English?

Post 01 May 2022, 09:51 • #15 
Guide
Hellmtflies

I do not know whether these books have been translated into English.
An animated version of this story with English subtitles is available on Amazon Prime.

Post 01 May 2022, 10:36 • #16 
Guide
Very nice..so good to see someone so young take an interest in tying flies.

We set up 3 vises with materials at a local annual event called "Tucson Meet Yourself" and found young people willing to tie flies (with a bit of help)..then got to take them home.

Post 01 May 2022, 14:40 • #17 
Guide
Well done! You should teach her tie Futsu and Sakasa Kebari.

Post 01 May 2022, 19:25 • #18 
Guide
Nice, and I am sure time out on the water as father and daughter will always remain treasure. Oh yes, be ready when she cast really well and leave you in awe.

Post 01 May 2022, 20:25 • #19 
Master Guide
Thanks for sharing, very sorry for your loss, lost my Mom in September. Very nice fly!

Post 04 May 2022, 06:30 • #20 
Guide
Those magazines looks great. I'm trying to get both of my daughters into fly fishing (ages 11 and 8). Something like that might really get them interested. I'll have to check out the amazon prime option mentioned above.

Post 04 May 2022, 06:52 • #21 
Glass Fanatic
Outstanding!

Post 04 May 2022, 08:46 • #22 
Guide
Hellmtflies,
JShenk_615,

I found Amazon Prime provides "Slow Loop" in the original version broadcast in Japan and English subtitles are not available. I apologize for the incorrect information.
There is a version with English subtitles on Dailymotion, but I think it's a pirated version.

Post 04 May 2022, 19:35 • #23 
Sport
I am sorry to read about your mother's passing. I hope that your return to fly fishing helps lessen your grief in time.
Your daughter's first tied fly looks fine. I am only just beginning to tie flies. My very good friend " midmofly " has sent me his old tying vice. Now that I am retired from baking, I hope to put it to good use.
" Slow Loop " looks like a great inspiration for your daughter. I've watched the clips on the site and enjoyed them very much. If I could order the series, it would be nice to add them to our collection of anime. Have you watched many Studio Ghibli films? " Spirited Away " and "Grave of the Fireflies " are two of our favourites.
Your daughter has long, slender fingers. May I ask if she plays a musical instrument such as a piano or guitar ?
Kind Regards,
Steve

Post 05 May 2022, 10:21 • #24 
Guide
Steve,

Thank you for the words that encourage me.

"Slow loop" is a surprisingly heavy story. It was impressive that my daughter was attracted to such a story.

Yes, I've watched many Studio Ghibli films including "Spirited Away" and "Grave of the Fireflies". Among them, "Grave of the Firefly" was a movie that evoked mysterious feelings to me; why did the main character's brother behave so self-destructively? Recently, I found a video on Youtube explaining my strange feeling. The video describes the "Grave of the Firefly" as a homage to traditional Japanese tragic love stories.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQ5wnM559iY
(Automatic translation from Japanese to English is available in this video, but with low accuracy.)

This video explains that the brother's behavior is "Shinjū" (心中 in kanji), the behavior of lovers killing each other to protect each other's love ([url]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shinjū[/url]). The commentator says this explanation is supported by the presence of the broken umbrella in the movie poster shown below. The stories of such tragic love have been dealt with in traditional Japanese puppet theater (Bunraku, 文楽 in kanji, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bunraku) and dance-dorama (Kabuki, 歌舞伎 in kanji, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kabuki). Among the themes that Bunraku and Kabuki deal with, there is one called "Michiyuki-mono" (道行物 in kanji), which are stories about the process by which lovers, families, or lords and servants kill each other for their love. The commentator indicates that the broken umbrella is item that symbolizes the tragic love of lovers in such stories (see the second poster of Bunraku from the Edo era). The above explanation starts at 54:00 in this video. It is also interesting that Isao Takahata, the director of this movie, repeatedly insists that this movie is not an anti-war movie.

My daughter used to learn to play the piano, but now she's focused on ballet lessons.

Best Regards,
Takeru

Post 05 May 2022, 11:37 • #25 
Master Guide
Thanks for sharing! Your daughter did an amazing job and nowdays for a youngster to express the fly fishing interest all on her own is priceless considering all the choices the new generation have compared to pre-internet. My son has showed some interest in flyfishing but video games seem to rule most of his time. I suspect he will some day appreciate his time on the water as a youngster more as I have now in reminiscing those childhood times.

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply