It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 23:50

New Topic Add Reply
Post 27 Apr 2022, 13:32 • #1 
Sport
Four rods. I've cast all of them, fished none of them. I've tried multiple lines, DT, WF, true to weight and a half size heavy.

Orvis SFG 7'6" 4wt
Butterstick V.3 7'6" 4wt
Scott F Series 7'2" 4wt
Barclay GP 7'9" 4/5wt

What is it about these four rods that cause them to cast so differently? And, why do two of them feel absolutely effortless while the other two seem to take me a bit to find the right casting cadence? Why do two of them drop a fly on a dime from 15'-50' and the other two are simply less consistent? Is it the taper? Is it the material, E vs. S glass?

Both the Barclay and the Scott (both E-glass) seem to be an extension, not only of my hand, but my imagination. My loops look like something out of the Fly Fishing Film Tour! I'm accurate, my timing seems to almost always spot on, I can feel them load and they're just so smooth.

The Orvis (which I know is very popular) was one rod I could just never get consistent with and I sold it. I always felt like it was more of a 5wt. The new V.3 Butterstick is a nice rod but so far, I haven't been able to get it to do much beyond 35'. Inside that distance, its actually very nice, though I find I have to be a little faster on the backcast than I normally would.

For those of you familiar with these rods, what can you tell me about their construction, design, materials, etc. that would help me further clarify what I like in a glass rod, given how much I like my Barclay and Scott?

Post 28 Apr 2022, 07:27 • #2 
Piscator
I have natural haul in all my casting, and my line hand reads the rod.
No rod is too slow, no rod is too fast.
Short smooth arm movements and haul will find the sweet spot on any rod, but especially on rods that are more para and flex deeper into the blank.

Cadence is at best a misnomer, and at worst, a stupid concept put forward in "The Movie"
If you must have a music analogy, casting a fly rod is Debussy.

Effortless and casting "your will" belongs to fast progressive tapers. I dubbed my first Fisher Combo "Magic Wand" because of uncanny ability to put a 60' cast on a quarter.
Noteworthy, the short version of the Combo is all fast para, and will cast every bit the distance of the long progressive configuration.
The most effortless rod I own is a superprogressive cane dry fly rod, Thomas Light Special built by Dennis Stone, which will accurately cast the leader alone, and literally feels like it casts itself to 50' (where the taper ends abruptly with flared butt).

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 28 Apr 2022, 07:46, edited 2 times in total.

Post 28 Apr 2022, 07:30 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
I too seem to gravitate to E glass rods. They have more "feel" to me and I can feel them load better.

New Topic Add Reply