It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 09:13

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply
Re: 6wt recommendations
Post 08 May 2022, 10:06 • #26 
Glass Fanatic
lol...yeah, you'll have fun throwing glass for them, but you will also quickly get a feel for the limitations of glass for muskies (notably boat-side figure 8 work and overall fly size limitation), but there are always ways to work around those limitations.

Post 11 May 2022, 13:29 • #27 
Master Guide
I have a Fenglass 7'9" 6 wt and have no complaints.

Same with my Orvis Superfine Glass 6 wt.

Post 24 Aug 2022, 20:28 • #28 
Master Guide
Hi guys! Just here to follow up:

Im finished (for now) with my Steffen 8056-4 rolled by Shane. Im very impressed not only with the blank but also with how Shane runs his buisness. Very professional, very fast. Thanks Shane!

Im not very pleased with how the wraps turned out, I think Ill probably re-wrap it this winter. For now its time to fish!

The rod is built out with a Lemke LC10 downlocker, a hand turned grip that I made to mimic a 2 digit fenwick, snake guides and size A nylon Fuji ultra poly in color 007, and spar varnish. If I rewrap the threads Ill go back in Fuji color 011 (garnet) and keep black trim wraps to a minimum. Im much happier with the cork work on this rod than my iconoglass 4wt build. The biggest improvement was sanding the front face of the grip back at an angle to produce a nice crisp line between the front face and the barrel of the grip. It will never matter in hand, but it looks clean to me.

The rod balances very well with my cabelas cahill one and throws extremely tight loops with a rio gold wf6 out to about 25 ft. It would easily present a fly with only a few feet of line out. The rod is light in hand , and I would consider it medium medium fast. Its has the makings of a great dry fly rod for everything from hoppers to standard dries and smaller, but I can also feel that it should be happy to move a little bit of weight..

It does go a little mushy around 30' with the rio gold 6wt. It will happily shoot to to 40' but doesnt seem to want to carry the line overhead. Im very confident this isnt a rod issue though. Ill try to get my hands on a good dt6. In the meanwhile, the rod will fish geat with the rio gold. Does anyone have any line advice?

Im excited to get it out one the water. It should get a chance to do some pond bass fishing any day now, and trout fishing as quick as I can get away with. Ill be sure to keep you guys up to speed. Im very sure this rod and the FF70-4 will make a great do it all pair, and I think getting them to agree on a line will be easy.

Post 24 Aug 2022, 21:21 • #29 
Glass Fanatic
Looks good to me. A few little inconsistencies in wraps or finish might bother you now, but I'd fish it for a good while before going back at it. As the fella says, the fish don't care. Outstanding job on the grip, and your color choices work very well.

Post 24 Aug 2022, 21:41 • #30 
Master Guide
I agree with Tomah - looks great to me and ready to fish. If you need a little more distance than the 6wt lines you tried, find a 5.5wt WF line like the SA MPX WF5. I enjoyed fishing my Steffen 5/6 with a DT6 for a few years before trying the 5.5wt line. I think the 5.5wt line makes the rod feel more lively when casting at distances more than 30-35’.

Post 24 Aug 2022, 22:23 • #31 
Master Guide
Great job.
Fish it hard.

I have a 5-piece version & agree with the WF5.5 recommendations.

In fact, a SA MPX WF5 is exactly what I have on mine exactly for the reasons stated above.
Good luck
Keep us posted.

Post 26 Aug 2022, 08:10 • #32 
Master Guide
Thanks guys! Ill try out my rio gold wf5 and a dt6, if neither of those leave me 100% satisfied Ill order a mpx.

Ill be sure to get some miles out of the wraps before stripping them off! Ill keep you guys posted

Post 27 Aug 2022, 16:36 • #33 
Glass Fanatic
Keep in mind that the difference between the RIO Gold and the Scientific Anglers MPX line is only 4 grains at the 5-weight. The RIO is 6 grains heavier than the line standard, and the MPX is 10 grains heavier. So, they may not fish too differently. They do have different tapers, and I believe the MPX is a little more front loaded than the Gold. The Gold has a longer head too (47 feet vs. 36 feet). That may change things somewhat, and only you can decide if it's worth the cost of a new fly line.

Post 15 Sep 2022, 18:10 • #34 
Hi…
I own a 6-7 Steffen, and it’s a great rod for trout/bass…
For future reference, I built a 6 weight 4-piece 8’ fly rod. Does everything you need. I’m in love! As good as my McFarland and ********* rods at half the price…
Mel

Post 16 Sep 2022, 08:02 • #35 
Guide
I am not an expert on fly lines and casting mechanics by any means, BUT i used an MPX once and found it very hard to cast at distance -- i believe because of its relatively short head.

Post 16 Sep 2022, 17:08 • #36 
Guide
You just “can’t go wrong” with a Steffen , I echo your experience with Shane , myself fishing 5/6 wts for larger trout & landlocks in Maine , to fishing the 7/8 wts down Florida way for inshore stuff , it’s almost exclusively the Steffen / ********* / Kenney up North (and not necessarily in that order) , and Love the ********* stuff down South , especially his Hybrid blank , also Love the Orvis glass … It’s “All Good” …. Enjoy !!!!

Post 03 Sep 2023, 12:52 • #37 
Sport
Hello Brookieboy, Charlie here.
I'm interested in your Steffen by Shane project, and the reel/line you've decided on this year.
Reason being that my favorite rod for pack down is the Fenwick FF70-4 that you enjoy and praise so well. Currently wearing an Orvis Battenkill 5/6 and 5 weight Rio Perception Intouch at 153 grain 36' head weight, it's a tick light with my #8 foam hopper and #12 bead head nymph "stream sweeper" rig.
Good to 30'-35', but when I see a smallie rise beyond I tend to strain a bit and dump a poor cast on her. I'm at the extent of shorter leader and stiffer tippet tactic.
I just can't resist sharing my outfit with other enthusiastic owners, see attached.

I hope you are fishing both the Steffen and Fenwick often and with great satisfaction, Regards Charlie

Post 03 Sep 2023, 13:57 • #38 
Master Guide
Charlie,
Both rods have caught many fish since this thread was started. As it turns out, the FF70-4 and my Steffen 5/6 both like the same lines. The Steffen is certainly a more powerful rod capable of longer casts with larger flies. However, I wouldnt hesitate to bring it as my only rod on a trout trip where smaller fish were the expectation.

I generally fish both rods with a cabelas hardy clone reel. Both fish well with a variety of 5 and 6 wt lines including a rio gold 5, an MPX 5, DT6, and a rio gold 6. I fish the steffen quite often with an old cortland 6wt full sinking line that came off an eBay reel. This is a great panfish/pond bass set up.

Your Fenwick is really pretty. I need another FF70-4 like I need a hole in my waders but the mylar wrap early rods always get my attention when they come by. Id be curious to hear your comparision of it to a later FF70-4.

If the rod is mainly going to be a smallie rod, I might think about a 6/7 steffen too. I do think the 5/6 steffen is a very good answer to the search for a longer pack mate for an FF70-4.

Post 04 Sep 2023, 11:24 • #39 
Glass Fanatic
James Green 856/4 semi parabolic… original series… throws a ton of line and the best rollcaster I’ve ever seen.

Post 05 Sep 2023, 19:23 • #40 
Glass Fanatic
If you are willing to go to 8'6" the McFarland GTX is a great 6wt and if you are willing to build one out, relatively cheap.

You could try the FF-856-5 if you can find one. It's a bit clunky compared to the FF-806 or FF856 2pc models but it is a decent enough rod.

Post 05 Sep 2023, 21:18 • #41 
Glass Fanatic
I also think the Steffen should be taken fishing a lot before you give it any rewrap, if you then decide it needs it. Looks good as is. And I think that it, and the F70-4, make a wonderfully versatile pair. If you decide you want a longer 6/7, I’m the sure the Steffen would work great (I enjoy an 8’ 3/4) and might also suggest a Livingst0n 897. I use a 6wt Mastery bass line on one for shoalie poppers, and like it a lot, but don’t really know what the availability of those rods or blanks is now.

Post 05 Sep 2023, 21:41 • #42 
Glass Fanatic
An 8 or 8 1/2" Para/Metric. And you can find them for $100 or under.

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply