It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 13:17

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply
6wt recommendations
Post 20 Apr 2022, 09:03 • #1 
Master Guide
Hi Guys! Im looking for rod recommendations. Id like to find a 6wt (or maybe a 5 wt I can put a 6wt line on..) to work as a compliment for my FF70-4 on backpacking trips. I almost always carry two rods as an insurance policy, the FF70-4 is always the first and Im looking for something a little longer and a little stouter to function as its pack mate. Ideally, the two rods would be able to share a line and reel as spare reels are heavy.

The rod in question doesn't have to be a superb small stream rod, after all Ill have the FF70-4 along for that. Id like it to easily cast really large dry flies like big foam hoppers with droppers, most of the time it would be rigged with a size 10 Wulff style fly with a dropper nymph. Id also like it to fish small streamers like muddlers and bead head buggers well. Id like it to be capable of easily casting a double nymph rig with modest-moderate size nymphs and a new Zealand indicator. The rod doesnt have to be perfect up close, Id like something that performs its best at 20-40ft.

Im not stuck on any particular brand, Im not worried about if the rod is vintage or modern.

Im looking for something in the 7'9"-8' range, and it has to be at least 4 pieces. The goal is a packable rod with a little more reach and casting power than the FF70-4.

I got out in the yard yesterday with almost every 6wt I own. My FF75-4 is a candidate, but is a bit short. the FF756-4 has "stout" in spades and would do well with the heavier flies for sure while still being a reasonable dry fly rod. The FF856-5 felt ok, but is really a little longer than what I want and balances better with a heavier reel.

My FF80-4 is a rod that should be a good candidate for what Im talking about.. but its just different than the others. its much much softer than any of my other Fenwicks including the FF70-4. It would be a fine dry fly rod for smaller dries, and I suspect it is a great choice for wet fly fishing, but a generalist 6wt it is not. I need to play around with underlining it to a 5, I think it may be better suited to that. anyhow..

For the time being, Ill probably be carrying the FF756-4 for this purpose but Id like to hunt down something a little longer. Ive got time to wait.

Here are some of the rods Ive thought about -
-Another FF80-4. Are they all really soft, or is mine an oddball?
-FF806-4 - Id guess that it will be much like a longer version of the FF756-4. Better for nymphs and streamers than trout dries?
-The new Orvis SFG 805-4 that is supposedly coming out this summer. Id really like to keep it to 6wts, then again Im currently casting my SFG 2wt with a line that is nearly a 4wt by the AFTMA guidelines. There is every chance in the world Id prefer this rod with a 6 anyways.

it befudles me that that there are so few modern options for shorter 6wts even though its a classic configuration. of course, my requirement that the rod be a 4 piece eliminates a lot of options.

Looking forwards to hearing what you guys think! if I can work this out, I may have to thin out the 6wts.

Edit: I would consider blanks as well. My first rod build project is currently on hold pending more pressing projects, but Id be willing to approach this as a rod build project.

Last edited by BrookieBoy on 20 Apr 2022, 09:41, edited 1 time in total.

Re: 6wt recommendations
Post 20 Apr 2022, 09:38 • #2 
Master Guide
You can't go wrong with the FF806-4. It can do everything you would need a trout rod to do.

Post 20 Apr 2022, 09:43 • #3 
Master Guide
Thanks Robert. As an added bonus, there are already so many fenwicks around the house, my girlfriend would probably never know.. Generally, Ive found Fenwicks to be excellent fishing tools at bargain prices.

Post 20 Apr 2022, 10:02 • #4 
Master Guide
The Fenwick FF806-4 is a great generalist 6wt, even for warmwater fishing. My FF806-4 had more flex and didn’t feel as fast as the shorter the FF756-4.

If you want to go modern, look for a 4-piece 8’ Steffen 5/6. The Steffen 5/6 is excellent for small/medium streamers and nymphs under a NZ indicator.

Post 20 Apr 2022, 20:29 • #5 
Master Guide
If you can find one, a Timberline (or L.L.Bean) 7ft 5/6 wt might fit the bill nicely.

Post 20 Apr 2022, 20:43 • #6 
Master Guide
Reading your preferences, I automatically think of my 8ft Steffen 5/6 in a 5-piece that checks all your boxes.

Interestingly, and this has been said on this forum before, I have Steffens in various 2,3,4, & 5 piece configurations and can attest that the action is always seamless.

It’s one of the rods I’ll never sell.

If it’s that important to you, I suggest you talk to Shane and see if he can make one for you. It will cost more than the Fenwicks, but IMHO it’s a rod worth saving up for. Mine easily packs down into my weekend duffle bag.

A Larry Kenney 805-5 would be another excellent choice. It’s more of a true 5, whereas the Steffen is more of a 5/6.

Post 21 Apr 2022, 04:32 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
You might want to try another 80 - 4. The one I have bends deep but it is a powerful rod, ideal in my opinion for casting big flies. It's more powerful than my 756 - 4 (Fenwicks are pretty variable) but the faster action of the 756 is more suited to outright distance.

The Kenney 805 - 5 is a fantastic rod but it is exactly a 5wt. It is considerably lighter than the 756 and 80. It is of course far more refined and very nice to use.

You may want to explore an Epic 580, that's a very versatile rod with some grunt. But try before you buy because there's been a fair bit of variation there as well.

Post 21 Apr 2022, 06:13 • #8 
Piscator
I have always found Fenwicks to have a slow mid - the antithesis of a fast progressive rod, such as Phillipson Scotchply or Fisher.
Adding a ferrule normally adds a stiff spot in the rod taper, but I would say the effect on the Fenwick is most likely because of the added weight of the top ferrule on the mid taper.

Post 21 Apr 2022, 08:29 • #9 
Master Guide
Thanks for all of the solid recommendations guys. With multiple mentions of a Steffen 5/6, I decided to reach out to Shane to see if he is interested in producing the blank in a 4 piece configuration. He said that would be no problem and turn around times are quick. Id like to to a little more research before going that route but it seems like a likely winner. How does the Steffen do as a dry fly rod for flies 10-18? I didnt think to ask, but he might be willing to produce it as a 5 piece blank for a slight upcharge, and if it would cast as well as a 4.. Ive never had a pack rod with section lengths too short. I do want it to balance with the same reel I use for my FF70-4 so I might do well to keep it to 4 sections.

the Epic and Kenney rods are also great suggestions I hadnt thought of, perhaps mainly because I was thinking in terms of rods labeled as six weights.

as for an FF80-4 or FF806-4, I very may pick up another of either if the price is right, but that would likely be tangential to this endeavor. If I go the Steffen route, Ill actually be likely to sell some 6 weight rods to help the cause. There are several I haven't fished in quite a while, it may be time to move them on. especially in the name of picking up a more qualified generalist.

Bulldog - Im sure the added Ferrule in the top half of the FF80-4 is a contributing factor to how slow it is. I have heard people describe rods so soft they will load with any line by virtue of their own weight, but this is the first Ive had in my hands. Ive cast it with a DT4, and found it only slightly underloaded at short distances. at 30 ft, it was fine with a DT4. I normally like my Fenwicks lined on the heavy end of their range, or even overlined a size from their markings. I suspect this rod will find a permanent home with me as a small stream 5 weight for days when Im going to a stream I know well, where the extra length is a benefit, and I know what kind of fishing Ill do. all of that flexibility makes it a fun rod to catch fish on, but its robbed of the versatility I normally attribute to a 6wt rod.

Giogio - I suspect you are right, this particular FF80-4 is probably on the far end of the spectrum, not typical of most of its brothers and sisters.

Very relevant thread comparing Steffen 5/6 rods to each other as well as various Fenwicks but especially the FF806-4.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=62058&start=25

Post 21 Apr 2022, 10:34 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
I will echo the recommendation for the FF806-4. It does it all - trout to warmwater, #22 dries to bass poppers.

Post 21 Apr 2022, 14:17 • #11 
Master Guide
Brookie, the Steffen 5/6 is excellent as a dry fly rod with flies in the 10-18 range. It’s one of the best all rounder trout rods in modern glass. Seems like it is mentioned often in those “if I could only have one” lists.

Post 21 Apr 2022, 14:45 • #12 
Guide
Shane’s troutsmith 6wt is also a very nice caster

Post 21 Apr 2022, 17:05 • #13 
Master Guide
I absolutely love my FF806, but mine's a two-piece. I've never cast the FF806-4. If it's similar, it might be one to try. Cheap, too...

Post 21 Apr 2022, 22:07 • #14 
Master Guide
Two cents, I think the Steffen 5/6 is a wonderful rod but I think the 4/5 with 5DT line is fast and powerful enough to do what you want to do. I would also say the ff806 is a really good all around fly rod. Always my favorite fenwick

Post 22 Apr 2022, 05:49 • #15 
Guide
I think Shane could come up with a number of options for you , Steffens are most often a favorite , another option is to reach out to Dusty on a ********* , never know what he’s got kicking around for beautiful fishing instruments , also along those lines maybe talk with Bill Hickey at W. Jude with his new line of creative Ondawa rods , I believe one of them is a 5/6 wt “do everything” kind of model , don’t remember the configuration though (?) , either way , you’ve got a ton of options with fiberglass ,with most all of them being pretty dang good , have fun choosing…

Post 22 Apr 2022, 11:27 • #16 
Glass Fanatic
The 5/6 Steffen is just about the most versatile rod I own. And by versatile, I don't just mean it does a variety of things ok, it does a variety of things at an A+ level. Dries: 4 through 20-something, nymphing with an indicator, um, yeah! Streamers with a streamer specific line? excellent (provided you're not trying to chuck 4" articulated stuff). Fish fighting for big fish? yep! nice bend on little fish? oh yeah! Too windy? handles that very well too!

I may be a little biased, but there's also a reason for that.

Post 22 Apr 2022, 18:36 • #17 
Master Guide
Another vote for 8' stiffen 5/6

Post 26 Apr 2022, 14:32 • #18 
Glass Fanatic
Brookie Boy, I have a Fenwick FF-80-4 that is significantly faster than my FF-806. Since I like slower rods, if you are interested, I'd be happy to try a swap. If you want, I'll send you my FF-80-4 and you can see if you like it. If you do, send me yours for a test. If you don't, you can send it back. My FF-80-4 is in great shape but has a few rough spots on the base of the grip where a previous owner stuck his fly instead of using the fly keeper.

Post 27 Apr 2022, 18:04 • #19 
Master Guide
Thanks Pave!

edit:
Hi guys.

I bit the bullet and bought the 4 piece 5/6 blank from Shane. for now, he and I agreed to leave it in the air if he would finish the rod or if I would build it out. Im going to finish my current project while he rolls the blank and hopefully be more qualified to know if Im qualified to build on a Steffen blank by the time its ready.

with that being said, I doubt my fenwick fever has completely past. I think there is a really high chance Ill fill the gap left by selling my FF756-4 and FF856-5 by finding an FF806 for kayak bass fishing and light duty streamer work from a canoe or kayak.

XNYKid - I appreciate the thoughtful recommendation. I tend to like heavier line weights, and Id really like to find a line that my FF70-4 and this new Steffen both like. Currently, I like the FF70-4 with a rio gold wf6, a true 6.5wt line. it seems more likely I can make this situation work with the 5/6 than the 4/5. additionally, my "black sheep" FF80-4 seems to be about a 4/5 so I have a nice rod in that range.

Clarkman - you would make a great rod salesman.

Post 07 May 2022, 11:57 • #20 
Guide
Do you guys feel the Steffen 5/6 is a 5 wt or more of a 6? I’m entertaining that model or the 6/7. I need it to be more of 6 for smallmouth fishing. It looks like the 5/6 is offered in a couple lengths from Shane; probably need to reach out to him to which is closer to a 6 rating.

Post 07 May 2022, 12:06 • #21 
Glass Fanatic
If you're after smallies, I'd go for the 6/7. Unless you're unlikely to encounter anything of any size (even then, I still typically fish a 7wt). The 5/6 will get it done for the majority of smallies up to ~15" or so, but you might not be able to throw larger streamers or topwater nearly as easily as the 6/7. I actually fish my Steffen 7/8 most frequently for our smallies out here (but there are many opportunities for fish over 18" on my local waters).

Post 07 May 2022, 13:14 • #22 
Master Guide
Brookie, glad to hear you went for the Steffen 5/6 - you won’t be disappointed.

Lone wolf, Clarkman is spot on, as usual. I would also recommend the Steffen 6/7 for smallmouth. The 5/6 is a solid 5.5 weight in my hands. I love the 5/6 as a generalist trout rod, but the 6/7 is much better suited for the 3-5” streamers and poppers that I use for smallmouth, spotted, and shoal bass. The extra power of the 6/7 gives it an advantage over the 5/6 particularly with intermediate/sink tip lines and the bigger flies that bass eat. The 6/7 has plenty of flex with smaller bass around 12”, so I wouldn’t be concerned about the 6/7 being too heavy in that regard.

Post 07 May 2022, 20:06 • #23 
Guide
Thanks for the replies. Placed an order today, for the 6/7 with Shane.

Post 07 May 2022, 21:47 • #24 
Glass Fanatic
El Duderino wrote:
Lone wolf, Clarkman is spot on, as usual.

damn, I'm not sure about "as usual".... :lol

I just always try to make my recommendations based on my own experience, especially with regard to fly size and secondarily fish size. I mean, I don't know too many people (ok, maybe just one) who fish for muskies regularly with glass rods because throwing a 10wt glass rod is "fun"....Then again, I'm also crazy enough to regularly throw my Bandit (10wt) for smallies & carp, in addition to tiger muskies.

Post 07 May 2022, 22:14 • #25 
Master Guide
Haha I was going to say “Clarkman is right, as always” but didn’t want to give you a big head. I agree 100% on the size of the fly being the primary factor in the rod size/line weight selection.

Hopefully I’ll join you on that short list of crazies fishing glass for muskies soon - we have some decent musky fisheries nearby in Tennessee and North Carolina.

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply