It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:42

New Topic Add Reply
Post 14 Apr 2022, 21:50 • #1 
Guide
Hi everyone,
I'm going to be doing a bit of work related international travel for the next few years. It will mostly consist of the Caribbean and eastern Pacific, but odd trips to quite possibly anywhere are to be expected. Space will be limited.
I'd like to ask for recommendations of all-around saltwater rods; inshore and surf are what I expect to encounter. My plan is to either shoot for a seven and a nine weight, or an eight and a ten weight. These are going to be kept with my work gear, so they need to be packable.
I know that this is all very vague, but I appreciate any assistance.
-Ben

Post 15 Apr 2022, 09:26 • #2 
Guide
Assuming by "packable" you mean a tube fitting in your luggage, one that has worked for me is the Orvis Superfine Glass 8'8" four piece 8 weight. I have used it on Belize bonefish and redfish here on the Louisiana coast and liked it with both 8 and 9 wt. lines. I believe the superfine glass line has been redone to 4 piece configuration by Orvis, I suspect this rod will remain the same. I also owned the superfine glass 8'6" 3 pc. six wt. and liked it with both 6 and 7 wt. lines and if the new 4 pc. rod's action is similar I would not hesitate to recommend it as well.

Last edited by jimwright on 16 Apr 2022, 15:59, edited 1 time in total.

Post 15 Apr 2022, 14:47 • #3 
Master Guide
Not sure how they would perform for your needs, but there are several fenwick feralite 5 piece rods on ebay right now. There is atleast one 85-5. I think of my 85-5 as a 7-8. There is also a 107-5 that might be more of a 9-10, maybe? As 5 peice rods, they will be some of the most packable full length glass rods you will find with section lengths comparable to a 4 peice 7ft rod. They will be slow action rods, Im sure.

Post 15 Apr 2022, 20:57 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
The McFarland GTX comes in four pieces, and ********* Rods have some options in the heavier line weights in four-pieces too. On the less expensive end, Echo has the BAG series.

New Topic Add Reply