It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 13:50

Previous  1, 2, 3 New Topic Add Reply
Re: First Love Fly Rod
Post 11 Nov 2022, 12:05 • #51 
Guide
I started with a couple of broomstick-like rods my parents got me at Fleet Farm. I think the first was a 5wt and the second was an 8wt. None of us knew any better at the time. Eventually we found the only fly shop in the Twin Cities at the time, and I saved up my allowance money to buy a Cortland GRF1000 8' 5wt, which was much better. But still I didn't know there were even better options until I took some inheritance money I got when my grandmother died in the late 90s, and bought myself a Sage LL 586. Holy moly, was that a difference! Now that I am a glass fanatic, the LL is the only graphite rod I still have, so I guess I would have to say it was first true rod love...

Post 20 Nov 2022, 12:24 • #52 
Master Guide
7 ft Fenwick D rod, from a blank, back in the late 60's. All the rods I had previously were whatever the PX had in at the time
and ranged from B to C. Fell in love with light weight rods. Gave it to a friend and never fished a better rod since.

Post 20 Nov 2022, 14:03 • #53 
Guide
Bought my first fiberglass rod in 1970 at the local supermarket, Food Basket in Easton, PA. Still see the tag for $19.95 on the rod in plastic bag in with another 50 rods of different shapes and sizes mostly spinning rods. Knew beans about rods but liked the yellow-tan color and the action of the rod. It was "my rod" for 40 years. Not a do everything rod but I used it for everything: mostly trout but also bass, panfish, and even carp. Put it in the trunk of my car at the beginning of PA trout season and it lived there until fall. Went through two sets of guides, cork is now dried out a bit. When I retired in 2010 treated myself to a couple of black Diamondglass rods, 804 and 703 and moved to New Zealand. For a while the rod sat in a corner in the closet. Though I would be a little undergunned with it. But got it back out and had more success, now back in the rotation with the Fenwicks, Steffens, etc. Still can get the job done: Heddon Pro Weight 7ft.5wt.

Post 20 Nov 2022, 20:04 • #54 
Glass Fanatic
That is awesome,i had one and taught my self to flyfish with it.It got destroyed when my young son decided to unstick the stuck ferrule with pliers.I bought a NOS same rod a couple years ago but have yet to fish but did lawn cast it quite a bit.Thinking about giving it to that same son,now in his mid 30s.My daughter nearly moved to New Zealand a couple years ago.Glad to see a vintage Heddon still catching fish on the other side of the world.

Post 21 Nov 2022, 08:51 • #55 
Guide
I liked a 7'9" Shakespeare Wonderod, once I figured out it really wanted a 6 line rather than a 5, but the first glass fly rod that I really loved was a Johnson Profile/Phillipson 6 1/2' rod which Harry Murray, owner of Murray's Fly Shop in Edinburg, VA, had used while writing his book Trout Fishing in the Shenandoah Park. It fishes well in close but also has an extra "gear" when you have enough line out to slingshot longer casts with feel and accuracy, a parabolic action. Not to mention the mojo of this rod catching numerous Shenandoah brook and brown trout before it passed on to me.

Harry had Scott design a special mountain small stream graphite rod for him so he let this rod go, although he told me it took a number of iterations before they developed a rod that had the action he wanted.

Kevin

Harry Murray's Phillipson glass trout rod - the tube is dinged from bouncing around in the back of his pickup on rough mountain roads.

Post 21 Nov 2022, 11:57 • #56 
Glass Fanatic
That is a beaut too UC.I parted with my 7'6 of the same rod.I would love any 6.5 or 6' Phillipson.And that it belonged to Harry Murray must make you smile when you fish it. I fish a 7' FlyFox often and it does seem to have an extra gear even with roll casting which is mainly how i use it.Some of these Phillipsons seem to just do what you want them to.Mine outperforms my abilities a lot of times .

Post 26 Nov 2022, 19:04 • #57 
Guide
There are some great responses on here, this has turned into a really fun thread! :like

Post 26 Nov 2022, 19:07 • #58 
Glass Fanatic
Cortland FR-2000 7.5’ 2/1 #5

Post 28 Nov 2022, 18:57 • #59 
Glass Fanatic
After 14 years of graphite a J Green original series 733 converted me to glass 11 years ago… and counting.

Post 28 Nov 2022, 20:55 • #60 
Glass Fanatic
I've had many flings with fly rods in the early days...still do even. It wasn't until sometime in late 2005/early 2006 that I took a leap of faith and laid my hands on a Steffen 8' 5/6. From the instant my hands touched her cork, I was smitten.....and the rest, they say, is history....She's always the one I come back to.

I know I've already posted about her, but there's just something about her that makes her my first....and maybe my last....love.

Last edited by clarkman23 on 29 Nov 2022, 10:45, edited 1 time in total.

Post 28 Nov 2022, 21:01 • #61 
Master Guide
Scott G 856/2.

Post 01 Dec 2022, 18:17 • #62 
Sport
As many others have said here, my first flyrod was not the one I fell in love with. I bought that first one as a high schooler in '69 or '70. It was a 7'6" True Temper "Fast Taper" rod. And it did OK. But then, at Christmas, my Dad got what must have been a Fenwick FF75 (had the aluminum tube), From Abercrombie and Fitch of Beverly Hills(!) After my True Temper, that wand was quick and light; just a delight. But it was Dad's.

After several years of a Fenwick SF74-4 fly/spin combo (horrible as a fly rod, but I still use it as a spinning tool), and several graphites, I bought a Philipson 8' 3pc bamboo rod. But John Gierach said something like if he was smarter(?) thriftier(?), a lot of his shorter rods would be fiberglass. So I started my search for 'Dad's rod.'

What I found before the FF75 was an FF79. What a revelation! It felt like the rod's laying out line was an extension of my very arm. So nice. My first real love as a flyrod.

Post 01 Dec 2022, 21:51 • #63 
Master Guide
Great story stream!

Post 02 Dec 2022, 01:15 • #64 
Glass Fanatic
I think my first love fly rod was one I never owned. I cast a McFarland "Juniata" 7wt, and I just couldn't swing the $$$$ at the time. But it was the first rod that I really hooked me.

Since then, I've handled hundreds of rods, but I hold a bit of nostalgia for that first one. There are just a few other rods that have had the same effect on me.

Post 02 Dec 2022, 07:22 • #65 
Master Guide
I bought my first fly rod when I was a young teenager in the '70s with no clue about rod weights, fly lines, etc. To me it was "a fly rod"! It was a St. Croix 8wt (I still have it) and it was basically just a frustration to me. God only knows what weight and type of line I was trying to teach myself to cast with.

Several years later, I took some work money, birthday money, Christmas money, etc. and bought an Orvis Green Mountain 9' 4pc 5wt. outfit with the correct reel, line, and leader. It was a revelation...

Post 02 Dec 2022, 19:59 • #66 
Master Guide
Several years back Mike McFarland came upon a stash of NOS Scott fiberglass blanks in various lengths and weights. We talked and he understood what I was looking to use it for.

He cut and spigot-ferruled one of the blanks into a 3-piece and a local builder finished it.

It’s a 7’3” 5/6wt and is absolutely the bee’s knees for warm water fishing in our hill country rivers.

Post 03 Dec 2022, 01:20 • #67 
Glass Fanatic
really cool looking custom Scott!

Previous  1, 2, 3 New Topic Add Reply