It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 05:42

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply
Lube ferrules
Post 07 Mar 2022, 17:29 • #1 
Sport
Right on my Fenwick rods it says to use paraffin, but I can’t find any. I see that Loon makes a ferrule wax, but it looks black and messy. Anybody use it? Use anything else? Open to suggestions. Thanks!

Just bought a Fenwick FF85 off the auction site. Am I going to like it?

Re: Lube ferrules
Post 07 Mar 2022, 18:51 • #2 
Administrator
Much like having a power tool, some of any oil is better than none of the perfect oil.

I still use a block of Gulf Wax that I bought at the grocery store (look in the food canning section). Lacking that, candle wax will work (a couple of those half burnt birthday candles will last for years). Perhaps wrap the male ferrule with waxed paper and heat the combo with a hair dryer. Beeswax will work if you apply it lightly (if your ferrule clicks or slips, apply a heavier coating of beeswax). Cross country ski wax can be used in a pinch too - apply the coldest temperature wax you have very lightly.

Before applying wax, clean the male and female ferrules with Q-tips and some solvent like mineral spirits or denatured alcohol. Removing the old dirt is just as important as adding fresh wax.

Tom

Post 07 Mar 2022, 20:44 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
I believe St. Croix markets a ferrule wax.I think I even have some.I have only used it once but it seemed to do the job.I found it. Looks like candle wax to me. fiberglassflyrodders.com/u/1041/DSC05229.JPG[/timg]

Last edited by Stonefly on 08 Mar 2022, 02:02, edited 5 times in total.

Post 07 Mar 2022, 21:08 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Google is your friend here. I think I searched food grade or pure or something and found something good. It will work as intended on Fenwicks, and snug loose fitting metal ferrules.

Post 07 Mar 2022, 23:35 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
candle wax is fine, you can buy a lifetime supply of gulf wax paraffin off of amazon for about $10.

but for a fenwick, I just like to keep the ferrule clean. Unless it is coming loose on you, keeping it clean will prevent grit from building up. Unlike bees wax which is sticky, Paraffin is a lubricant and makes the ferrule seat further. I haven't seen the need for it. I have tried it, but if you use it, put a little on and then rub all of it off with a cloth. What is left is all that you need.

Post 08 Mar 2022, 01:02 • #6 
Master Guide
carlz wrote:
candle wax is fine, you can buy a lifetime supply of gulf wax paraffin off of amazon for about $10.

but for a fenwick, I just like to keep the ferrule clean. Unless it is coming loose on you, keeping it clean will prevent grit from building up. Unlike bees wax which is sticky, Paraffin is a lubricant and makes the ferrule seat further. I haven't seen the need for it. I have tried it, but if you use it, put a little on and then rub all of it off with a cloth. What is left is all that you need.

I'm on this page- if the fit is fine and the ferrules aren't sticking, wax only serves to hold grit. If there is an issue, such as looseness, then the trade-off could be worth it.

Post 08 Mar 2022, 07:46 • #7 
Piscator
totally disagree - only too much paraffin holds grit.
You have to be a bad cook (if a little bit is good, a lot is better)
Also sorry to hear that you mom never canned pear preserves.

Seriously, the first thing I do with Any rod is paraffin for the male ferrule.
The idea is to remove whatever you put on - the film that's left behind is all you need.
Keep this up - also cleaning the female ferrule with a q-tip and alcohol - and you'll never have any issues with that ferrule.

Post 08 Mar 2022, 08:39 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
I'm going to go against the grain here. No, no, no to any ferrule wax. All of it collects dust and grit then becomes hard. This causes damage to the inside inside of the female ferrule wall. Simply clean the ferrules, both the male and female with a light soap or AarmorAll or perhaps denatured alcohol periodically. Then just a touch of a light soap on the male. Soap won't get so hard and is much much easier to remove.

Post 08 Mar 2022, 09:45 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
Drake wrote:
Right on my Fenwick rods it says to use paraffin, but I can’t find any. I see that Loon makes a ferrule wax, but it looks black and messy. Anybody use it? Use anything else? Open to suggestions. Thanks...

jgestar wrote:
...I still use a block of Gulf Wax that I bought at the grocery store (look in the food canning section).
Tom

I'll stay out of the wax or no wax fray, but Tom's suggestion is spot on, go to the supermarket or Walmart to the aisle where they have canning supplies; (Ball jars, etc.) and you will find Gulf Wax in a box.

It is more than you will ever need in three lifetimes, but just so it isn't a total waste...

...keep a small piece in your toolbox to rub on wood screw threads or nails to make them go in easier or use it for sticky dresser drawers that don't have a drawer glide.

If you live where it snows and you don't fish when it snows, use it to wax your Flexible Flyer runners or in combination with a heat gun to lay a nice coating of wax on your snow shovels... ;)

Post 08 Mar 2022, 13:43 • #10 
Piscator
I run paraffin + MoS2 and teflon on my bicycle chains - absolutely nothing sticks to it except water-borne soft clay.
When I clean a 1000-mi chain, I get a fingerprint of soft clay.
When I was running oiled chains, I would get a half-teaspoon of sand and metal wear particles.
You'd have to be really sloppy for properly paraffin-lubed ferrules to collect grit.
Dry ferrules, on the other hand, wear a little bit every time you put them together.

Post 08 Mar 2022, 16:06 • #11 
Sport
Wow! It seems like this is a definite maybe! LOL! Well… at least I know the what and where if I want to do it.

As an aside, I should have told my daughter about spigot ferrules on my CGR rod before she jammed it together so hard. Took quite awhile to get it apart. Maybe wax would’ve helped?

Post 08 Mar 2022, 16:23 • #12 
Piscator
no, it's a simple question of opinion v. facts.
Fenwick and J. Kennedy Fisher were not being flippant when they recommended lubing ferrules with paraffin (vs. nose grease).
Yes, paraffin would help you get it apart - rub the outside with a chamois to warm it, and the viscosity of the paraffin becomes thinner.

Post 08 Mar 2022, 16:55 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
With glass-to-glass ferrules, you are seating the surfaces of tapered cones, like setting--much exaggerated to visualize--a highway safety cone upon another. Thus, they don't slide to together with continuous pressure increasing as the amount of surface area increases like tube-to-cylinder metal ferrules. Just snug into place when the tapered ID of the female overlaps and matches the tapered OD of the male. So cleanliness comes first, "lube" or no "lube." There isn't much frictional wear during assembly unless done sloppily. "Lubrication," as from wax, isn't primarily to slide the surfaces more easily, just as lubrication performs other functions in most applications. Film strength--just enough to suspend contaminates--is the important purpose. By applying it as bulldog described, only the thinnest film remains. One of our members years ago gave some detail on a favorite way to do this, a leather pad, rubbed to soften and absorb the wax, leaving only a film on the ferrule itself. Same idea as polishing out carnuba auto wax or shoe polish.

What good does this film do? Not essential, I guess, if you wipe your ferrule clean every time, but who does that? The wax film is not thick or viscous enough to hold any bulky abrasives, and the rod would not assemble right if it got really dirty somehow, wax or no wax. What the wax film does is repel water--remember the car wax--and suspend any mineral fines or fine debris left behind. Silicates, just as they gradually wear guides, are the most damaging source of gradual wear. And the ferrule surfaces do get damp on occasion in outdoor use, just as there is exposure to airborne particles. The wax film repels them or suspends them, thus preventing wear to the ferrule surface itself. Now when the rod is assembled or disassembled, or works slightly in use, the film does its "lubrication" job, minimizing the effect of any suspended fines.

I disagree with one point above. A lifetime or three lifetimes is a low estimate for one pack of canning wax. Just one slab could go four, maybe five. One votive candle will do, and they can still light it when they bury you with your favorite fly rod. If you use beeswax on spigots as Winston recommended, one little container from a sewing shop will last a a lifetime, and your heirs will still be able to wax up some thread and sew the buttons back on your old fishing shirts.

Post 08 Mar 2022, 19:25 • #14 
Master Guide
I keep a Passover candle in my tacklebox for all paraffin needs. Rub the male ferrule down with the edge of the candle, swipe it totally clean with a cloth. The heat generated by the wiping will spread a whisper-thin layer of paraffin evenly onto the fiberglass. You can find the candles in your grocery store next to the matzo.

Post 08 Mar 2022, 19:39 • #15 
Guide
I remember rubbing metal ferrules on the
side of my nose to get a little natural lube.
On my fiberglass and graphite rods I rub on a little candle wax and then try my best to wipe
it all off.

Post 09 Mar 2022, 03:06 • #16 
Administrator
Bamboozle wrote:
but just so it isn't a total waste...
There is also the famous fly floatant recommended in Ray Bergman's Trout (chapter 7, page 168 of the paperback edition). Dissolve two ounces of paraffin wax in one pint of 'non-leaded gasoline' * and transfer a portion to a small, wide-mouthed, glass bottle. The mixture leaves a very thin layer of wax on the hackles, wings, and body. The result is much less sticky than a fly treated with Mucilin.

I've used Bergman's floatant almost as long as I've been fly fishing. I dip newly tied dry flies after the head varnish sets. On stream, I can revive a soggy fly once or twice before needing a new fly.

Tom

* The book was written long before modern unleaded gasoline. Don't use that - the additives will leave a stinky mess behind. Use Coleman stove fuel as a solvent instead, or VM&P naptha as a second choice. Keep in mind the mixture is very, very flammable, so use it at your own risk. Non-smokers only please... Not available in stores or from Amazon Prime.

Post 09 Mar 2022, 07:07 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
I made that stuff ONCE... (which is maybe why I still have so much left over wax :))

When I want liquid floatant now, I buy the stuff Harry Murray makes which is probably the same stuff in a fancy bottle... ;)

Post 09 Mar 2022, 10:33 • #18 
Guide
There is yet another use for left-over paraffin. If one is so inclined, it is also possible to make a "Mucilin" line dressing alternative, which is parts by weight: 1.5 mineral oil, 1.0 white petroleum jelly (vaseline), and 1.0 paraffin. It works.

Post 09 Mar 2022, 11:37 • #19 
Glass Fanatic
A 3-4" piece of taper candle is the secret to starting a fire with one match in wind or rain and as such should be included on all outdoors outings, in the years that I worked in the woods I carried one in my pocket most days, keep one in each pack or vest and it will always be available to lube your ferrules between fire duties. Rub it on then rub it off. The remaining thin film won't be thick enough to hold grit and it will fill in some of the imperfections of the ferrules while providing lube.

Post 09 Mar 2022, 22:40 • #20 
Guide
I too, use a block of the Gulf wax from the canning section in the supermarket. My bride bought a box years ago, and we still have some. A little goes a long way, and I wipe off the excess.

Post 10 Mar 2022, 14:56 • #21 
Glass Fanatic
Bamboozle wrote:
I'll stay out of the wax or no wax fray, but Tom's suggestion is spot on, go to the supermarket or Walmart to the aisle where they have canning supplies; (Ball jars, etc.) and you will find Gulf Wax in a box.

It is more than you will ever need in three lifetimes, but just so it isn't a total waste...

...keep a small piece in your toolbox to rub on wood screw threads or nails to make them go in easier or use it for sticky dresser drawers that don't have a drawer glide.

If you live where it snows and you don't fish when it snows, use it to wax your Flexible Flyer runners or in combination with a heat gun to lay a nice coating of wax on your snow shovels... ;)

used soap on the wood screw threads, when replacing the wood gunwales on a canoe. Then used the bar of soap, my wife looked at me funny and asked why the soap had holes in it.. maybe I will get some Gulf ;-)

waxing the snow shovel, never thought of that, brilliant !

I struggle with the ferrules on Phillipsons, clean them about every 3rd outing because they'll start to jam before seating properly. I'll try the paraffin..

Post 10 Mar 2022, 15:38 • #22 
Administrator
doug in co wrote:
I struggle with the ferrules on Phillipsons, clean them about every 3rd outing because they'll start to jam before seating properly. I'll try the paraffin..

Keep metal ferrules clean, but please don't lubricate them. If your ferrules jam that often, your cleaner is leaving a residue. If you are using mineral spirits, try denatured alcohol instead. If you are using alcohol, try mineral spirits or naptha. Pictures of your ferrules might help.

A metal ferrule is two precisely formed cylinders, with the female stretched over the male. If there is extra material between the two ferrules, the female must stretch even further, making the ferrules wear faster. A layer of lubricant, be it oil, grease, or wax, will harm the fit.

A glass ferrule (tip over butt or spigot) is a conical male fitting inside a conical female. The female stretches over the male, but only for a very short distance. The wax lubricates just enough that the male slides just enough to ensure the female stretches just enough and holds the pieces together. Too much lubrication, from say a very slick grease, would allow the male to slide too far and split the female.

Tom

Post 10 Mar 2022, 18:07 • #23 
Guide
I've always rubbed a little candle wax on graphite ferrules, but now starting to question whether this is beneficial or not? On the plus side, I've never had two graphite ferrules "get stuck" or become loose.

Post 10 Mar 2022, 20:50 • #24 
Guide
Anyone use simple bar soap? water soluble and lubricates…

Post 10 Mar 2022, 22:01 • #25 
Administrator
No. Soap attracts dirt until you wash it off.

Tom

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply