It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:49

New Topic Add Reply
Need a pack rod!
Post 15 Jan 2022, 16:53 • #1 
Guide
Looking for a fiberglass pack rod between 6-7’ Can anyone steer me in the right direction. Need a complete rod.

Walt

Re: Need a pack rod!
Post 15 Jan 2022, 17:40 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Looking for a classic or a modern?

Post 15 Jan 2022, 17:54 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
What line weight you looking to match? Maximum tube length? Number of pieces?

Post 15 Jan 2022, 20:13 • #4 
Guide
Looking for a modern rod. Probably 6 pc 4wt.

Walt

Post 15 Jan 2022, 21:13 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
JPRoss offers a 7’ 5pc 3wt and Epic offers a 7 1/2’ 5pc 4 wt.

Post 15 Jan 2022, 21:38 • #6 
Guide
Scott has a 7’2” 3wt/5 piece in their F Series lineup.

Leland sells a 7’6” 4wt in both 5 and 6 piece.

And for a slow graphite rod that allegedly feels like glass (or bamboo), Douglas’s Upstream is available in a few 6-piece configurations. All 3wts, from 7’ - 8’.

Post 15 Jan 2022, 21:56 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
I'll double down on Scott. they've been making multi piece glass rods for a long time. The new F series consists of all 4 and 5 piece rods I believe.

Post 02 Feb 2022, 17:49 • #8 
Guide
I love my Epic Fastglass II 476 5 pc PackLight rod for travel and camping!

Post 02 Feb 2022, 18:03 • #9 
Master Guide
I am a fan of 5 piece rods. A 6 to 7 foot 6 piece 4 weight is pretty niche though. My favorite pack rods in the 4 to 5 weight range are the following in order:

Kenney 805/5
Scott g 844/4
Scott g 845/5

unfortunately I've never had or cast any shorter pack rods.

Post 02 Feb 2022, 21:23 • #10 
Master Guide
Shane (Graywolf) built out some yellow 6 or 8 piece (I think) rods last couple years but I don't know if he still has them. I bought some of the blanks and built them out and found them to be slow fiberglass.

Last edited by WestTex on 02 Feb 2022, 21:28, edited 1 time in total.

Post 02 Feb 2022, 21:26 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
A 7’ rod at 6 piece, sorry but I don’t get that. I could see a 4 piece, but not 6. Maybe just too old and late at night.

Post 02 Feb 2022, 22:30 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
My best 7'-7 1/2' stream rods are 6 pc Lamiglas rods so that they fit inside my pack and nobody I might see will know that I am fishing as I hike to and from a favorite spot. With the same Lamiglas rod in 3 pc that is sticking out of my pack, or anything else that labels me as a fisherman, I have had people say "You fishing? I'll have to bring my pole next time." I label anybody who calls their rod a pole...is probably a catch and kill person. That is why I like 6 pc stream rods, especially on my favorite streams. A good fisherman can clean out a section of a small stream in a summer.

Post 03 Feb 2022, 09:22 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
If you can build one yourself check out a Ben's five piece blank.
Nice action blank for a very nice price

Post 03 Feb 2022, 09:57 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
A very valid point Donny. Hadn't really thought about it that way. :)

Post 03 Feb 2022, 11:00 • #15 
Guide
paveglass wrote:
My best 7'-7 1/2' stream rods are 6 pc Lamiglas rods so that they fit inside my pack and nobody I might see will know that I am fishing as I hike to and from a favorite spot. With the same Lamiglas rod in 3 pc that is sticking out of my pack, or anything else that labels me as a fisherman, I have had people say "You fishing? I'll have to bring my pole next time." I label anybody who calls their rod a pole...is probably a catch and kill person. That is why I like 6 pc stream rods, especially on my favorite streams. A good fisherman can clean out a section of a small stream in a summer.

Never thought about the concealability of a packrod and the importance of not tipping others off. I had always been focused on stealth for fish, not for humans. I will have to re-think this now. lol

Post 07 Feb 2022, 13:04 • #16 
Glass Fanatic
One time as I was picking my way carefully up a drainage outfitted like this with everything in my pack, I noticed another guy moving stealthily in the woods like I was. He too was dressed in a way that looked only like a hiker. We were clearly keeping an eye on each other, not knowing what the other guy was up to. Eventually we crossed paths once I was on the water and had fun discovering that we were both moving stealthily on purpose...me to fish without giving my favorite spot away, and he was moving carefully to not give away the places where he was collecting morel mushrooms.

Post 07 Feb 2022, 15:13 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
Cool story :)

Post 07 Feb 2022, 22:00 • #18 
Glass Fanatic
I have heard about people being shot at over morels and a buddy got into an altercation over wild asparagus .

Post 07 Feb 2022, 23:27 • #19 
Master Guide
Huckleberry patches are closely guarded secrets, too…

Back on pack rods, I dropped by the Lamiglas booth at the International Sportsmans Expo in Sactown last month. They had 2-piece glass blanks in the print catalogs on hand, but nobody knew anything about them. They do still make and sell glass trolling rods, I think. If we asked them to make a batch of 6-piece blanks I wonder how many it would take? Or maybe they lost the recipe for glass plug ferrules…

Post 08 Feb 2022, 00:42 • #20 
Administrator
In the past, Lami had a minimum order of 25 blanks, which I imagine our forum would buy up in a snap. However, a couple years ago I emailed Lami and asked if they could build a 2 weight glass rod to an existing taper. They replied, "Unfortunately we do not have that blank anymore and we are unable to make any." At the time, all the glass rods were on clearance and Lami was moving some production to a new facility in Mexico. It didn't look good for the future of glass at Lami.

Since, Lami has renamed some of the heavier Classic Glass lineup "Battleglass". There are a couple of light, two piece glass rods listed for kokanee and trout trolling. There are a few scattered glass blanks in the catalog, most of which have been out of stock for over a year (including all the two piece fly rod blanks).

The one-piece, 7'6" glass Kokanee rod and blank (FL904-1) aren't listed anymore. That one-piece glass Kokanee blank was the same one used for their 7'6" spigot ferruled fly rods. We can ask, but don't be surprised if the answer is no.

Tom

Post 08 Feb 2022, 18:25 • #21 
Glass Fanatic
Ugh, that is not good news. It makes me appreciate Roy (retiredfisher1) even more as he was kind enough to sell me one of the 6 pc, 7 1/2 ft, 4 wt rods that he had beautifully built up. Thanks again Roy, much appreciated!

Post 12 Feb 2022, 10:28 • #22 
Glass Fanatic
Been awhile and saw this post. Paveglass knows packrods and others who need to make significant treks understand benefit.

I have found that if I need a pack rod then I am either going over tough terrain, going through brush, walking considerable miles, fishing is not main objective (eg camp/cook), going to honey hole so not tipping my hand, or rod action fits fishing conditions. Otherwise, a 2 piece 7 wt Fisher rod is my standard along with my System 5 for guest.

Lamiglass 6 pc is a fine choice if you can find one or cut a blank. My personal favorite is a 10 piece Airrite 3wt. Should say was...broke tip and waiting for blue dunn in japan to get them back in stock...covid has had many effects. Anyway, it is really a 5wt but the action is al dente as BD (Ron) would say for a fine rod. Otherwise the 6 pc airrite stream is another very fine rod with a slower feel than the 10 pc. Other options in 4 pc for your requested length would work like lamiglas and the berkley buccaneers (fly rod versions..see past posts on those model varients). I have refinished many buccaneers and had fun learning without much $ invested.

Speaking of learning since 5 piece or more may not be as common would be to find a 3 piece rod or blank that is labeled a 2 or 3wt. Cut into a 6 or 8 piece and see what you get. Anglers roost or even some of the cheap imports may provide a good rod.

Anyway have fun. I certainly have in my pack rod journey. At the end of the day, it was never about the fish...

New Topic Add Reply