It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:41

New Topic Add Reply
Post 10 Jan 2022, 19:03 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
Friends,

We are planning to visit the Olympic Peninsula this summer and I am wondering if I should take my fly fishing gear. We will be southwest of the National Park on the Pacific Coast and it looks like a short drive could take me to the Quinault River drainage, which is where I think I'd like to try. I know that salmon are the big deal up that way but I would mostly be interested in fishing for trout. I figure the National Park system would seek to prevent the salmon from being disturbed in the Park. Has anybody fished for trout up that way and do you have any suggestions? Feel free to PM me if desired. I figure Featherlight might have been over that way at some point.

I do have a salt water fly setup as well as some spinning gear that I could use along the Pacific shoreline but I would be pretty much a beginner at that, any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Post 10 Jan 2022, 19:42 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
I fished some of the cricks on the west (ocean)side way back.......like in the 70's, and got some fun fish. Looking forward to hearing what people say, and really looking forward to your eventual report!

Post 10 Jan 2022, 22:31 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Donny - the only fishing I have done on the peninsula has been salmon/steelhead fishing on the Sol Duc, Hoh, Clearwater, etc. These have been guided trips in a drift boat and they were some years ago. Salmon and steelhead are what the Peninsula is known for but there are headwaters and smaller streams such as Gray Wolf River and Dungeness for trout. I have not fished for trout on the Peninsula. A good source of current fishing info (when the runs are) would be Waters West Fly Fishing Outfitters in Port Angeles. There are three books I would suggest to you. The first is by Doug Rose and the book is Fly-Fishing Guide to the Olympic Peninsula. Now passed, he is recognized as probably one of the most knowledgeable. Other books are Olympic Mountains Fishing Guide by Dave Shorett and The Olympic Peninsula Rivers Guide by Steve Probasco. Most of my fishing is in the Cascades or east side of the Cascades. It is closer and fits my need for small stream fishing day trips. Let me know if I can provide any more info. If the opportunity presents, happy to show you some small stream fishing. Roy

Post 11 Jan 2022, 13:48 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
I was there for a couple weeks, long ago, didn't catch or see any trout. We saw a couple big salmon in one of the little creeks. Rumors are there are sea-run cutthroat in the lower rivers near the sea, fished there a bit but no luck. This is temperate rainforest, so very slow and hard going off trail. At the time we were recovering from a long trip through Alaska and I didn't try for the high creeks, too tired..

Several of the main rivers in the park including the Quinault are currently closed to fishing.

Post 21 Jan 2022, 21:16 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks. I will spend some time online researching but it sounds like options may not be viable. Thanks all!

Post 21 Jan 2022, 22:26 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
I stayed at the cabins at Whiskey Creek once, which were awesome. The fishing was closed on all the rivers in the area. Waters West fly shop did not have any great recommendations. The fishing regulations are really complicated. I would suggest carefully researching the best time to go and what areas are open to fishing.

Post 07 Feb 2022, 16:40 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
paveglass wrote:
Friends,

We are planning to visit the Olympic Peninsula this summer and I am wondering if I should take my fly fishing gear. We will be southwest of the National Park on the Pacific Coast and it looks like a short drive could take me to the Quinault River drainage, which is where I think I'd like to try. I know that salmon are the big deal up that way but I would mostly be interested in fishing for trout. I figure the National Park system would seek to prevent the salmon from being disturbed in the Park. Has anybody fished for trout up that way and do you have any suggestions? Feel free to PM me if desired. I figure Featherlight might have been over that way at some point.

I do have a salt water fly setup as well as some spinning gear that I could use along the Pacific shoreline but I would be pretty much a beginner at that, any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Donny.....I'd definitely plan on fishing. I've caught fish (cuts) on a couple of the little creeks in that immediate area in the low waters conditions of August in the past. If you're down along the coast, sea run cutthroats start coming back into the slower, pond like lower stretches of those creeks in mid-late August too. 14"-17" fish can be common if they're there.. Also, make sure you not unknowingly fishing in tribal waters. The Quinault's for one require that you hire one of their guides to fish in addition to their license. Also, National Park land speckles stretches of the Washington coast and you may have some additional requirements to be knowledgeable about too. If you have any questions, let me know and I might be able to help you. You'll love the Quinault Lodge. I had my birthday dinner there last Summer. Dave

Post 02 Mar 2022, 13:12 • #8 
bassackwards wrote:
I stayed at the cabins at Whiskey Creek once, which were awesome. The fishing was closed on all the rivers in the area. Waters West fly shop did not have any great recommendations. The fishing regulations are really complicated. I would suggest carefully researching the best time to go and what areas are open to fishing.

Agree on this to review the complicated regs for timing based on what fish you are chasing. River levels also something to watch depending on season.

Post 02 Mar 2022, 13:46 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks for the great advice, friends.

New Topic Add Reply