It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 19:45

Previous  1, 2, 3  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 11 Jan 2022, 10:47 • #26 
Glass Fanatic

Here's some pics from a few years ago. Setting up a tarp can be as simple or as hard as you want to make it. It was raining off and on, and I was nice and dry.

Post 11 Jan 2022, 11:25 • #27 
Master Guide
You wont be disappointed by the notion to be a better hiker than fisherman.

I seldom carry just one rod, especially if Im going somewhere new. I do this partly as insurance against breaking a rod but also because it lets me be more versatile. say a 7' and an 8'6" rod for wide and narrow water, or a dry fly rod paired with a stiffer rod for streamers and nymphs. I often time carry two 6wts so that I only need one reel which seems less likely to be broken to me. I like Fenwicks for pack rods but Im also a fan of the Douglas upstream and upstream plus pack rods if you are curious about graphite. they feel much like glass in my hands. I carry a jansport fanny pack for flies, tippet, leaders, nippers, and all of the other junk. if its not a rod or a reel, it has to fit in the fanny pack, no exceptions. this is how I keep myself from carrying unnecessary junk. I always carry my wading boots and a pair of wading socks. they are heavy and bulky but the streams I wade are often fast, steep and made up of large rocks. busting an ankle 3000' and 5 miles from the road is a serious problem. others may not feel the need to do that but its what makes me feel safe.

as for the backpacking angle, Id recommend keeping good records and lists. weight everything. over time you will learn what you do or dont need. weigh all of your food, log the calories you actually consume. I am very confident in how many calories to pack for a given set of conditions which is important because food is heavy and bulky.

as much as it will hurt, buy a good tent, backpack, sleeping bag/quilt, sleeping pad and stove right off the bat. in the end it will cost more to upgrade these items over time. buy once cry once. scrutinize every ounce Im not as ultralight as some of the guys here, I use a regular tent, I carry an inflatable pillow. the trick is to know what everything weights.

I carry a tent because of the bugs here in the south east.

I use a steri pen and a small nalgene to sterilize water instead of a filter.

check out enlightened equipment quilts before buying a sleeping bag.

the following is the load out for an early fall trip I took this year, including waders, a tent, a 20% overbudget on calories and some bourbon. 1 rod. a pistol which you may not feel the need to have.

item
pants 2
socks (pair) 3
tshirt 1
underwear 2
ball cap 1
sunglasses and retainer 1
cell phone 1
lighter 2
runners 1
fleece 1
rain jacket 1
long sleeve tshirt 1
long johns 1
beanie 1
pistol 1
bonus tippet spools 1
fanny pack 1
reel, 6wt 1
rod, FF70-4, with sock 1
waders 1
wading boots 1
rod tube, 7' 4 piece rods 1
mountain house (575 cal) 2
oatmeal pack (110 cal) 6
Ramen (370 cal) 1
soo noodles (310 cal) 2
bacon bits 1
kroger peanut and chocolate bar (160 cal) 12
nature valley bar (190 cal) 6
chocolate bar (520 cal) 2
mess kit 1
snow peak fuel 1
snow peak stove 1
8 oz nalgene 1 - for the Bourbon
25L dry sack - bear bag 1
bandana 1
head lamp 1
shovel 1
tp (1 roll) 1/2
10L dry compression sack 2
10L dry bag 1
day pack 1
Gregory 58L 1
tent 1
40 Quilt Enlightened Equipment 1
sleeping pad 1
pillow 1
nalene 1/2l 1
smart water 1l 1
steri pen with sheath 1
water 16oz

on body 3.7 - the things you wear, not in the pack
pack base 29.1 - non consumables in the pack including fishing gear, waders, etc.
calories per day 2928
food weight per day 1.8lb
#days 2
pack total 33.6
skin out 37.3 -weight of everything in pack and on person

Post 11 Jan 2022, 12:37 • #28 
Glass Fanatic
Everyone has different needs, preferences, and comfort level. No judgment here.

I have always used a short sleeping pad, about 20" x 48", with spare clothes and such under my legs and neck. I used to use a section of z-rest pad, or a short thermarest prolite. After breaking my back and neck (20 bone screws plus rods) I now use the prolite almost exclusively, and an inflatable pillow. I use the same system when snow-camping, but with a prolite plus pad instead (more thermal insulation).

For bugs I just bring a headnet. Backpacking in July in the Cascades taught me that no matter what system of bug protection you use, there is one situation where it won't help: while you are using a cathole :) Compared to that misery, everything else seemed less of an issue ...

I'm also not one to use trail runners instead of boots. I like a supportive pair of quality mid-height boots. I've broken the ankle on one leg, and the heel bone on the other, and have neurological issues related to balance and strength as a result of my spinal injuries.

Post 11 Jan 2022, 13:06 • #29 
Glass Fanatic
magicmike wrote:
I am leaning towards the use of a light tent, but would love to hear from people who use a tarp, and how well it protects you from infrequent rain, etc. I have not chosen a pack yet, because I want that to fit like a glove and be comfortable. So I will most likely spend some time trying one on and moving around with it on.

I definitely plan on wet wading. Is it a big compromise to take some light weight wading shoes?

tried tarping last year. You will need a bivy bag as well as the tarp for any kind of rain or mosquitos/other bugs. The weight difference then between a light one-man tent and the bivy with tarp is a matter of 4-8oz. I'm still going to tarp this year and see how it goes, but think for a non-wilderness-nut the tent is probably a better idea.

See, https://andrewskurka.com/gear-list-backpacking-tarp-bivy-ultralight-minimalism/

The pack fit doesn't matter much if you can keep the load under 30lb.. got mine to 25lb last year and it's like carrying a day pack.

I used to carry wet shoes, for stream crossings and wading, and a pair of Red Ball nylon stockingfoot waders. Now I'm too old to carry the extra weight. These days I hike in trail running shoes with wool socks. During the day these just get wet as needed. At night change into dry socks and a plastic bag around the socks, into the wet shoes.

Take any rod you like.. been doing this nearly 50 years now, starting with 2-piece rods, never had any problems or damaged rods. Most packs will have a side pocket at the bottom and straps on the sides, these fit any rod. No need for a case, though I do like to have a bag. In CO there is not any problem with longer rods, on East coast trips I'd sometimes just carry the rod in its bag to avoid tangling in trees/rhododendron hells/etc. The rod weighs a couple ounces and isn't any big deal to carry.

What is nice about the multipiece rods is being able to hide them in the pack, and avoid all those 'how's the fishing ?' questions..

paveglass wrote:
One suggestion, I would not recommend a water filtration system that depends on your mouth suction...it is a pain...try drinking on your belly like a Life Straw will require. This type of suction driven filtration will probably result in you not drinking enough and getting dehydrated...Carry some of those Katadyne Micropur pills as an emergency backup...check the expiration dates because they do have a shelf life.

This is good advice. Never understood the LifeStraw thing, have to lie in the mud like an animal to get a drink..
I carry a Sawyer bottle with a built-in filter, fill it from the stream and drink. It's been very liberating, after years of carrying pump filters, boiling water etc. Always carry some iodine or the Micropur pills for backup, whatever primary water system you choose.

Post 11 Jan 2022, 13:57 • #30 
Master Guide
"Grumpers" in the boundry waters taught me that mosquitos are a hell that has no bounds.

A lot of my pack choices are driven by the fact that a 30lb pack doesnt really bother me. I get as low as 27 in summer and as high as 40 in winter, the weight doesnt bother me much. It helps that my stride is a foot and a half longer than my hiking buddy, I'm never in a rush.

I used to use a short 3/4 pad but the full length sure is cozy.. especially with the quilt. Quilt vs. Bag weight savings justify many creature comforts.

I actually do wear light weight trail runners in the Summer. In winter time with a slighly heavier pack and colder feet I opt for the boots. With a sub 35lb gross pack weigh Ive always felt pretty comfy in my trail runners.

With my girlfriend coming on more and more of these adventures Im adopting some slightly less rugged ideals. For instance, coffee cant be sipped from a nalgene. We really both needed UL coffee mugs. A 1L smart water bottle full of wine and two of those clear solo cups really adds to the "experience". Fresh berries in a nalgene for breakfast the first morning in camp. Id never do any of that just for me but that kind of stuff adds to the big picture for her which makes it all worthwhile.

Post 11 Jan 2022, 15:01 • #31 
Glass Fanatic
Regarding bivy bags under the tarp: I actually do use one, but it's a custom jobby I had made a long time ago, when I was into the "make your own gear" thing that Jardine advocated. I placed an ad on Craigslist for someone interested in doing sewing projects, and found a nice person in my neighborhood who sewed me a bag with a silnylon bottom, lightweight water-resistant cover, and half zipper. I bought the materials and provided them and a pattern to her, and the thing weighs about 6 or 7 oz. It doesn't close up at the head, but that's ok; the idea is simply to repel errant splashes while napping during a rainstorm, and actually this was before the advent of water-repellent down treatment.

This is typically in addition to a groundsheet, which can be as light or as heavy as you like. A starting point might be 2 mil plastic painter's dropcloth, cut to about 3 by 7 feet (or whatever suits you), anchored by four rocks. You can buy really lightweight ground sheet material from Mountain Laurel Designs or other small UL backpacking suppliers. Usually the lighter weight stuff is less durable, so it's a compromise.

At times I have simply used the groundsheet, with a foam pad on top, and sleeping bag on top of that. I mostly use the lightweight bivy to protect my thermarest from punctures.

I toss and turn when I sleep, so quilts have never appealed to me. Horses for courses ...

Post 11 Jan 2022, 17:00 • #32 
Glass Fanatic
When I camp under a tarp, I don't use a bivy, or a ground sheet. I have a foam Thermarest pad I use, and then my camp chair over that.
Bug netting is always brought, not always needed.
Oh, I and I am much happier having my rod tucked inside my pack than outside.

Another tarp set-up, a few years ago, this is the top of Goat Mountain, a dry hike, I was hoping for a lingering snowbank but no luck.

Post 12 Jan 2022, 13:24 • #33 
Glass Fanatic
majicwrench wrote:
When I camp under a tarp, I don't use a bivy, or a ground sheet.

but as the photo shows, you have 3 dogs.. a 3 dog night.. that's rather like cheating, external heat sources ;-)

Post 12 Jan 2022, 15:27 • #34 
Glass Fanatic
Plus, the dogs are clearly carrying some of his gear ... we are just jealous ;)

I used to use flat tarps a lot, but at some point went to beaked tarps. This is an old one; pic from last weekend in the Ventana Wilderness.

Note hiking socks hung up to dry under the beak. The big white thing is a trash compactor bag that I keep loose clothes and such in. It goes under my legs at night, with the stuff sacks, etc. I only use a full-length sleeping pad when sleeping in my Subaru.

At some point I discovered those little triangular plastic line tensioners. Works well for adjusting tension on guylines.

I use a Six Moon Designs Deschutes for most trips to the Sierra these days.

The black corner guyouts have tensioners on them. The thing can be zipped up in really bad weather. Usually during a storm I like to just take a nap ... the tapping noise of rain on silnylon is very soothing.

I understand cuben fiber / dyneema is even lighter and resistant to stretching when moist (silnylon tends to stretch a bit), but also super expensive. I haven't gone over the the cuben side yet ...

Post 12 Jan 2022, 17:17 • #35 
Glass Fanatic
On that hike above, the dogs carried WATER.......like I said, dry hike up a mountain in the summer can get tough, and also their own food. The old black dog (lying down) has long retired from packing.

Something worth mentioning to the original poster......I have spent many happy nights in the mountains with no tent or tarp.

I went once with a guy who had a cuben fiber thing, is that why is was so noisy?? I never really looked it over.

Post 12 Jan 2022, 17:48 • #36 
Glass Fanatic
I have no direct experience with cuben, but that could be. The price is too high for me, personally.

Silnylon is readily available, cheap, and easy to seal. It isn't difficult to make your own tarp if you find a design you like.

Yes, I've had many happy nights sleeping out under the stars, too. Once or twice it was because I actually forgot my tarp :)

There have also been situations where I didn't expect rain, but was surprised to be sprinkled on during the night ... all part of the adventure.

Post 12 Jan 2022, 18:31 • #37 
Glass Fanatic
Odonata wrote:
I use a Six Moon Designs Deschutes for most trips to the Sierra these days.

This is the shelter I plan to buy as soon as they get some back in stock. The one I plan to get has about a foot or so of mosquito net sewn on as a skirt around the bottom. I'll use it with an ultralight bivy.

Post 13 Jan 2022, 00:08 • #38 
Glass Fanatic
To jump back to an earlier part of the thread, I have found the TenkaraBum rod tubes mentioned above provide a lot more protection than the fluorescent light tubes. They only weigh a couple ounces more at most, and I'm fine investing in those ounces to keep my rods secure.

Back to the current topic—I liked shaped tarps a lot too. They offer a lot of coverage for only a little weight. They are often marketed as double-wall tents, but I usually leave the inner net tent at home unless I expect bugs. My current favorite is the Durston X-Mid (which weighs less 1.5 lbs. with tarp, groundsheet, and extras), and I like TarpTent's offerings a lot too. But there are too many good ones out there.

Post 13 Jan 2022, 00:41 • #39 
I’m surprised nobody has mentioned a quality hammock / tarp set up. Less space taken up and lighter weight than most other options (obviously you need to be in an area with trees)

Post 13 Jan 2022, 01:20 • #40 
Master Guide
Lots of great advise here. I actually mostly carry 1 or 2 two piece rods with me in an aluminum rod tube meant for a 10' rod. I molded some rubber around the bottom of the tube and it makes an excellent walking stick. I do have multi piece rods and have taken them but went back to the long tube. The last pack trip i did into the sierras I needed the tube to help me walk out.
I usually pack a bit of whiskey with me. Kind of heavy but nice before bed when you reach the destination.
Good luck on your trip.

Post 13 Jan 2022, 13:12 • #41 
Guide
My interests and methods seem to line up pretty well with paveglass (except the part where I live 800 miles from the closest CO cutthroat). Listen to any article you read about just going ahead and getting your base load as light as possible, within reasonable cost I guess, as was also mentioned by a couple guys here. I did that thing where I've gone through 3 versions of gear over 10 yrs, lightening up a little each time. And wasted money. I've had great luck with the Sawyer squeeze but agree the bags are kinda crap. There are ways to make it do anything you want: drink straight from it, attach to a bottle, gravity feed. I finally got the right add-ons and figured that all out and it's a great system. But I never go without a backup, usually the treatment pills.

I take a lot of small helper items but even with all that and two days of food, my pack is around 28lbs. I'm 195 so that is a decent ratio for some longer hikes. But I've had a knee issue so not sure what my hiking future is gonna look like. I want to say minimize those little things that add up, but I think you just have to find out for yourself after you've taken a pile of them, and realize there's some you just don't need. It will probably surprise you how little time you end up having to mess with extra stuff when you're out there overnight. You'll fish hard till it's time to either set up camp or start cooking, and then you'll be probably hitting the sack for the night.

I'd also suggest investing in some good lightweight collapsible trekking poles. It seems counterintuitive to carry yet more stuff but it makes a world of difference in the amount of fatigue on your lower body and back. And you might as well skip all those other junky little utensil sets and go straight for the long titanium spoon. It's what you need. lol

Post 13 Jan 2022, 13:52 • #42 
Guide
"I’m surprised nobody has mentioned a quality hammock / tarp set up".

I had started with the hammock, but found it very cold unless I brought an extra under quilt. I think its the most comfortable sleeping arrangement, but struggled with carrying extra weight to ensure I have a warm sleep. The other issue is ensuring you are in an area that had trees that would accommodate the hammock.
Pros and cons to all set-ups I guess!

Post 13 Jan 2022, 14:05 • #43 
Glass Fanatic
A hearty second to the use of trekking poles. I was introduced to them by one of the guys I backpacked with. They add stability and reduce lower back strain. They also added a measure of safety when hiking down steep trails with a pack on your back. All issues that are exacerbated as one gets older.

Post 13 Jan 2022, 14:52 • #44 
Glass Fanatic
In the Sierra I typically just use those Katadyn chlorine dioxide tablets to treat water. I also like the 2L Platypus water tanks for gathering water (these have gotten surprisingly pricey over the years). If there is a lot of floating debris such as pine pollen, etc. then I just strain the water with a bandanna.

I do use a gravity filter on some trips, but generally only in an area that often has large amounts of organic gunk. This is more of a warmwater fishing destination, at lower elevation. I use the Platypus gravity filter and dirty water bag, but have tweaked the setup for higher pressure at the filter, and also added a field-cleanable inline prefilter; otherwise the main filter would clog quickly on a lot of that gunk.

Last season I also started experimenting with using an MSR hyperflow in the Sierra. This is mostly a luxury item for me, but with the drought conditions a lot of lakes were low and had more floating gunk than usual. A lot of the streams and outlets had simply dried up. But again, this is kind of a non-essential :)

Post 13 Jan 2022, 17:17 • #45 
Glass Fanatic
I use a 4pc, 6.5ft Eagle Claw Featherlight. They were only made for a couple years in the 1970's and people who have them don't give 'em up. Neat little rod.

Post 13 Jan 2022, 17:27 • #46 
Master Guide
For what it is worth, here are a few of my thoughts:

I agree with those that say you need to lighten the load and most of that starts with the big items. Every time I have backpacked, I have come back & got rid of something I don't need. I ditched my old high value 5 lb. backpack after the first trip. Back up clothing can be real heavy too. Consider poly base layers etc. rather than cotton. You may well get hailed on in the South San Juans around 2 p.m. even in July but you don't need a heavy coat--just a good rain shell and a few base layers. Maybe take an inexpensive wool sweater backup. Whatever shell you take, make sure it is pretty water repellant. If you buy it used, just treat it with NikWax or whatever it is called. you put it in the washer and pour in the bottle. Same sort of advice for the seams of the tent.

You don't have to spend a fortune and don't have to go "silly light" unless you have the money to spend, find a good product and don't want to carry anything remotely heavy. Always a compromise.

Definitely carry one of the compact water filters like the Sawyer Squeeze of the Katadyn BeFree. I have used the Sawyers for a long time and seldom carry water with me. If you can drink alot before you start and there are several water sources along the way, you won't have to carry water (saves alot of weight). Don't do this in dry places of course but the South San Juans should be fine. I am thinking about switching to the Katadyn because sometimes the flow of the Sawyers is low and is kind of a pain. I would invest in a bladder like a CNOC, which you can fill up and hang on a tree at camp.

Do concern yourself with the weight of shoes or boots you hike in. Use trail runners or light hikers if you can get away with it (Light pack & good ankles helps). I have always used low top and hi-top Merrell Moabs-non waterproof-can wear them out of the box. I hike and fish in wet shoes with wool socks and have never had problems--your mileage may vary. If you do this, buy a cheap light water shoe or camp sock to walk around camp in at night.

The Jetboil is great but if you want to go lighter you could consider the MSR pocket rocket or the BRS stove even, of course. I have been monkeying around recently with alcohol stoves and wood stick stoves, but for now prefer the convenience and efficiency of the canister stove on a hike like yours.

I second the Garmin In Reach locator. I bought the older version DeLorme In Reach several years ago and it still works fine. You can probably get one real cheap nowadays. I carry the locator to send and receive messages only. I don't navigate with it. It can tell me where I am tho (coordinates--if I carry a map). Depending upon the InReach model, you can navigate with it too. I navigate with a stand alone GPS device (Garmin ETREX 20?) and have found it to be invaluable.

A 4 wt. or tenkara would be fine for the streams generally, but with wind or for lake fishing, maybe a 6 wt. would be a better choice? On these excursions, I always carry a mini sling, about the size of a paperback book with flies & everything needed inside.

Dehydrated food is the way to go if you are looking to lessen weight. A catch and eat a few brook trout.

Post 13 Jan 2022, 17:53 • #47 
Glass Fanatic
Featherlight, I have a 4pc 6.5fter that was originally a spin/fly, did they make a fly only version? Mines rated 5wt on rod but really more of a 6wt. Is the older brownish blank w the mini ferrules if I recall.

Hammock are a hassle, cold, heavy by the time you add everything, and uncomfortable . Been there done that. To each their own.

Post 14 Jan 2022, 11:26 • #48 
Master Guide
I like the comfort of hammocks, but by the time you carry everything you need to rain proof them and stay warm they typically weigh more than some of the mid priced 2 man tents. my tent is 3lb without ground cloth and its not even one of the $800 numbers. comfy yes, light... surprisingly no in my experience.

the best piece of backpacking gear I ever bought was a digital kitchen scale for this very reason. some things can be deceptivly heavy (or light).

Im continuously curious about the bivy/tarp set up even to the point that I made my self a UL bivy that weighs in around 7 ounces, all sil nylon. I just havent gotten up the guts to try it out yet. persistent torrential rain at any time with no warning is the main deterrent.

on clothing - I carry 2 pairs of clothes regardless of trip length. one pair to sleep in and a second pair for everything else. sometimes I carry a 3rd pair of socks, but that just depends.

get a good lightweight rain jacket. mine was $30 on amazon from kelty, it weighs about 8 ounces. they are great wind breakers. A light fleece and a rain jacket will get you through more than you would think. I dont carry down jackets on fishing trips because they are useless when wet. wearing it while wading puts you at risk of not having a jacket for the rest of the trip.

you can get shockingly good all synthetic pants and shirts at walmart. they are light and all nylon, it makes it hard to cough up the cash for anything else.

the jet boil stoves are great for longer trips because they use less fuel weight. however, the stove itself is fairly heavy. your pack will be lighter if you use a snow peak or msr pocket rocket type stove. they will burn slightly more fuel but on a trip less than a week long with 2 or less people, the fuel weight savings will never catch up to the sunk cost of the weight and bulk of the jet boil. also, the pocket rocket type stoves are cheap.

I buy plastic tubes from "usplastics.com" and make light weight rod tubes from them.

be careful about all of the little ditty sacks, crown bags, compression sacks ect. those add up too. I do keep everthing made of down in a waterproof compression bag after a few close calls with soaking down my seeping gear in the middle of nowhere.

another thing to think about - if I was just going on a summer time overnight trip with no fishing gear, my "skin out weight" could easily be less than 25lbs. if I traded in my traditional backpack for a UL pack, that would save a bit more. that doesnt necessarily mean that a ul pack like that is a good idea for me though because I reliably carry 7lbs of fishing stuff around with me. be sure to size your pack, your footwear and all of that kind of stuff for what youre actually doing, in my case 3-5 day back country trips with 5-8 pounds of extra gear for a skin out starting weight around 35lbs. this is why I use a 58L 3.5lb pack instead of a 40L 2lb pack.

Post 14 Jan 2022, 11:50 • #49 
Glass Fanatic
I'm actually curious about those tenkara bum rod cases, for carrying my euro nymph rod around in the brush on dayhikes... sent Chris a note.

I've been using alcohol stoves for about 20 years on and off. They do have their niche. I used to make my own, but at some point bought an Evernew Ti. The primary problem in CA these days is obtaining kleen strip denatured alcohol because you can no longer buy it at Home Depot; have to pay through the nose on ebay. But for short trips where you are just boiling water they are great.

I have a few canister stoves, too ... it is useful to weigh the canister when full and write the weight on a piece of masking tape after each trip, so you have an idea how much gas is left. I've been using a Snow Peak Lite Max for some years, but they are all pretty similar. For cooking trout I like the remote canister variety for stability. If it has a preheat tube you can also use it in colder weather by inverting the canister. I have a Kovea Spider that I like.

(And there is also the old simmerlite white gas stove for snow camping, and the msr wind pro for mountaineering...)

Post 14 Jan 2022, 12:04 • #50 
Glass Fanatic
Those little stove canisters...I have a handful of em downstairs, not empty, but not full.....can't throw em out, aint taking them hiking.......was looking at em last night thinking how annoyed I am by them.

I too use alcohol for most of my real hiking. Stoves are a lot like fly rods, and I have waaaaaaaay too many, and will often take out an oldy but goody on day hikes.

A down coat goes everywhere with me.

Previous  1, 2, 3  Next New Topic Add Reply