It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 22:32

Previous  1, 2, 3 New Topic Add Reply
Post 14 Jan 2022, 12:12 • #51 
Sport
Great idea. I also like the Rod cases you can get from the Tenkara Bum website.

Post 14 Jan 2022, 12:29 • #52 
Guide
I remember when I gave up the framed Kelty for an UL. Man what a difference focusing on a lighter load, especially as you get old. I think nostalgia had me hanging on to too many items. The framed packs still rule for heavy loads, but otherwise.
Footwear is a big deal to me and like mentioned above, the Moab 2’s just fit me and I wade in them regularly. Heavier pack, heavier boots. I have some of the Altra trail runners that aren’t bad at all, just not as stable and I don’t like them at all for wading.
I’m a tent guy, but the weather in the SE is very different from the NW. I need to get back out that way. Skeeters and gnats oh my. I also wear fleece under my raincoat. Walking through brush is tough on a raincoat and dramatically changes how it repells water.
The little rocket stoves are tough to beat unless you have wind. I would often take a 3 man tent for me and the critter

Awesome thread

Post 14 Jan 2022, 13:02 • #53 
Master Guide
you know... has anyone had any luck with APEX insulation material? Its supposedly nearly as light/warm as down but does much better when wet and dries faster.

G8trwood - Last year I swapped out my 15 year old 7 pound REI pack for a newer Gregory pack at about 3 pounds. Its really freeing, isnt it?

Ive been curious on alcohol stoves myself. They are easily the lightest option for a trip that is 3 days or less by the time you factor in fuel weight. and, you dont carry extra fuel. Cool!

Majicwrench - it looks like you two know how to set up a camp kitchen! we always end up eating grits, or something even lower effort for breakfast.

food choices could be another whole discussion here. We tend to use instant oatmeal or grits for breakfast, ramen and mountain house for dinners, and sausage sticks, granola bars, chocolate bars, etc to fill in the gaps. bacon bits are a great trick for grits or instant macaroni. I also worked up a little vacuum sealed baggy full of seasoning for poaching the odd trout here or there though we normally dont eat non stocked fish.

I went on a 7 day trip as teenager where I only packed about 60% of the calories I needed. The first 3 days were some of the most miserable I can recall at the moment. luckily for me, one member had to bail out early and he gave me all of his food when he got off the trail. For about 10 years I never went backpacking again without a gross excess of food often packing more than 2x what I actually ate. eventually I got really serious about logging calories while backpacking and now I have a very good idea of how many calories Im likely to consume in given conditions at various activity levels. I pack a 20% calorie excess in the form of something really calorie dense (cal/oz) like granola bars. This practice has allowed me to carry a lot less weight over the last few years without being worried.

Post 14 Jan 2022, 15:01 • #54 
Guide
Food heck, we could have a separate thread on camp coffee!

Post 14 Jan 2022, 16:17 • #55 
Glass Fanatic
Nutrition is a big subject. In 2016 I had surgery on my esophagus to fix a swallowing issue, probably a complication from one of my spinal surgeries. It was unsuccessful and I ended up having to use a feeding tube for a few months.

I say that because in that situation you have to count every calorie and consider carefully where your nutrition comes from and what is in it. A hospital dietician prescribed a certain number for daily calories and protein.

I still have issues with most solid foods, and had to do some experimenting with what works. I got some advice from a PCT hiker who had survived throat cancer and been through something similar.

Anyway, that kind of discipline can help when planning backpacking meals.

BTW I use my excess partially-filled canisters that aren't full enough for backpacking trips on car-camping trips. If nothing else you can just burn off the fuel, then punch holes in them for recycling.

Post 14 Jan 2022, 17:47 • #56 
Glass Fanatic
I just generally don't like the canisters., there they sit. So I tell myself someday in some emergency I will use them for something :)

Sounds like you have been thru a lot. I never really plan hiking meals, just grab a bunch of stuff. Mac n cheese is one of my favs. Never been out more than four nights, and that was decades ago.

BUT you must ALWAYS have plenty of coffee, I make sure of that.

Post 14 Jan 2022, 18:02 • #57 
Master Guide
I think you can float the cannisters in water to eyeball how much gas is left, but I just carry an extra just in case.

Another use for the canister: the bottom of some fit directly over an Imusa cup from Walmart. Likely can be cut & made a nice Imusa lid once the gas is emptied (this is the cheapskate in me talking)

MagicMike: If you so the South San Juans in the Conejos watershed, there is a really good Nat Geo Trails Illustrated map covering that area

Post 14 Jan 2022, 19:35 • #58 
Glass Fanatic
majicwrench wrote:
Featherlight, I have a 4pc 6.5fter that was originally a spin/fly, did they make a fly only version? Mines rated 5wt on rod but really more of a 6wt. Is the older brownish blank w the mini ferrules if I recall.

Yes they did. It's labeled (M4LWFF-6 1/2 FT) and it has a yellow blank. They were only made between 1973-1974. I was looking for one for a number of years before I finally cornered one. You probably see no more than one every year or two come up on Ebay.

Post 15 Jan 2022, 18:37 • #59 
Guide
Lots of great info here! I have read this thread over a dozen times. I want to thank everyone who responded, I have learned a lot. I have been converted on the light weight tarp option. I did get to look at a friends Six Moon Lunar Duo explorer shelter, and it was very nice.

https://www.sixmoondesigns.com/products ... o-explorer

I did inherit an Osprey Aether 55, which felt comfortable. I even took a winter time hike with it on, loaded up with towels and canned food just to mimic some kind of load. Seemed comfortable and easy to adjust. Still working out the food portion of my trip as well as the sleeping bag and some of the camping/sleeping accoutrements. Thanks again for all who posted, I have thoroughly enjoyed this thread!

Post 15 Jan 2022, 23:00 • #60 
Glass Fanatic
Odonata wrote:
The primary problem in CA these days is obtaining kleen strip denatured alcohol because you can no longer buy it at Home Depot; have to pay through the nose on ebay. But for short trips where you are just boiling water they are great.

Odonata, For my White Box stove (made from an aluminum beer bottle, bulletproof and highly recommended) I use Heet that you can buy in any auto parts store or Walmart it works great and burns clean.

Post 18 Jan 2022, 10:12 • #61 
Glass Fanatic
I'm aware that alcohol stoves can burn various types of alcohol, but thanks for that anyway.

Personally I prefer to minimize my exposure to methanol. Heet is almost pure methanol. You can buy Crown fuel at REI out here, but it is 65-75% methanol. The green kleen strip denatured is mostly ethanol, which why I prefer it. But CA apparently banned the sale of denatured alcohol in 2019, CARB regulations I guess.

I have a couple of older Osprey Aether 60's that I use for snow-camping and mountaineering, but they are both really old; 15 and 10 years past. The Aether series seems to have gotten heavier and heavier over the years, but I bought a new AG 65 a few years back for certain kinds of trips, like with a packraft, where I'm carrying the raft, a paddle and maybe a PFD in addition to everything else.

I like the Granite Gear Crown2 and Blaze 60 for a lot of my trips. I like the fact that they make them in short sizes, since my torso length is a bit too short for medium. In the summertime I sometimes use an Osprey Talon 44 for 2-3 days, but there I need to use a foam pad strapped to the back.

Post 18 Jan 2022, 12:03 • #62 
Glass Fanatic
I use Everclear most of the time, dilute a bit with water.

Post 18 Jan 2022, 14:28 • #63 
Glass Fanatic
Always good to have another option. Buying denatured on ebay and shipping to CA is getting close to the cost of buying Everclear locally. I suppose I could just use something like Heet and wear gloves while pouring, too ...

Post 18 Jan 2022, 23:58 • #64 
Master Guide
I’m a fan of Granite Gear packs - they are light, strong, and not expensive. I just wish they made a 70 liter pack - I find 60 is just a little too small when I’m carrying a bear barrel.

Post 19 Jan 2022, 18:15 • #65 
Glass Fanatic
I had the same problem with some of my old climbing packs on solo trips; my Bearikade Weekender just wouldn't fit (group purchase discount in 2002).

So I got a Bear Boxer Contender for short trips. It is a good bit narrower, and all I really need for 2-3 days. The locking mechanism is a little strange -- not the usual quarter-sized slots. I just use the tip of the nail file on my micro swiss army knife.

Post 19 Jan 2022, 20:01 • #66 
Master Guide
I use a granite gear dagger 22 as a day pack. its an excellent pack with good side pockets for rods or water bottles and ample room inside for waders, fishing gear and a days worth of food. couldn't recommend it more highly. I even carry it rolled up inside my backpack on backpacking trips if I expect to be gone from camp for more than a few hours. the quality and thoughtful design are top notch.

Previous  1, 2, 3 New Topic Add Reply