It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 13:38

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply
Post 11 Jan 2022, 11:09 • #26 
Glass Fanatic
No, I never said any of that fulcrum stuff... you may be mistaking me for Aristotle :)

Post 11 Jan 2022, 17:53 • #27 
Guide
This balancing thing really never bothered me until I started spey casting and was set up with a perfectly balanced 13' rig.

Fast forward in time--Now any single hand rod that isn't balanced drives me bonkers and spey rigs too.

Casting my friends 9140 bamboo spey, you wouldn't want to even cast that without a heavy hardy perfect on there.

Lighter reels used to be do able for me and now, nope, and too heavy of a reel changes my grip and casting on two hand and is just odd on a short single hand rod or switch.

Maybe I know more now, or I got used to balance, but especially in glass, bamboo single and two hand and long graphite spey, The rig has to be balanced.

Your milage will vary, and you may not agree, but having the wrong reel on a rod is a deal breaker for me.

Post 12 Jan 2022, 10:49 • #28 
Glass Fanatic
Odonata wrote:
No, I never said any of that fulcrum stuff... you may be mistaking me for Aristotle :)

My bad, corrected. Thanx.

Post 12 Jan 2022, 11:28 • #29 
Master Guide
bulldog1935 wrote:
must be winter

BAAAAAAHAAAAAHAAAAHAA

when i fish i fish for hours, if the reel is heavy i feel it in short order and if its too light in my exhausted state i might find my tip hitting the ground on that long journey back to the car. hate that and the fish don't care what reel is on my rod anyway so the one that works looks good to me.
balance me every day or just a bit tip up for me.

Post 13 Jan 2022, 00:19 • #30 
Glass Fanatic
Unknownflyman wrote:
This balancing thing really never bothered me until I started spey casting and was set up with a perfectly balanced 13' rig.

Spey fishing was one of the special exceptions I had in mind. I have just started getting into trout spey, so we'll see if that changes my perspective.

Hellmtflies wrote:
If the fulcrum point is the elbow, then why not strap the reel to one's arm just below that point.

Or if you really want to try something outside the box, you can attach your reel to your chest like this guy does. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgsLIM14qVA

Post 13 Jan 2022, 22:32 • #31 
Glass Fanatic
What paveglass said is how I feel for sure.......Aurelio

Post 14 Jan 2022, 08:45 • #32 
Glass Fanatic
GlacierRambler wrote:
Unknownflyman wrote:

Spey fishing was one of the special exceptions I had in mind. I have just started getting into trout spey, so we'll see if that changes my perspective.

Hellmtflies wrote:
If the fulcrum point is the elbow, then why not strap the reel to one's arm just below that point.

Or if you really want to try something outside the box, you can attach your reel to your chest like this guy does. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgsLIM14qVA

Ha! Gotta love this Forum. :)

Post 15 Jan 2022, 09:55 • #33 
Guide
Well, In my case you don't know what you don't know, until you know and then you cant unknow. ;)

Perfect balance is also not balanced at the cork its slightly tip up with the line out fishing. Swinging flies for anything single or two hand is a drag (pun intended) holding that tip up morning till night or all night.

Carrying the rod back to the truck, the tip is not in the dirt.

The bigger the fly rod in weight, size and length the more its a thing for me and usually only a vintage reel is going to work. Your short 2-3-4 wt rods probably just fine with a proper reel on there.

I bought a spool of lead core line, to balance the few modern reels I own.

So with the wrong reel on single or two hand rods, it doesn't feel right I change my grip unconsciously and if it doesn't fish right well, damn. Of course I`ll get by but fly fishing for me is more than "getting by".

And the dude with the detachable reel, No, just no.

Post 15 Jan 2022, 20:01 • #34 
Guide
For my spey rods, balance during the swing is a real consideration, and would note that many-most modern reels are too light for a spey - modern or old. In these rods, I spend effort to balance. Once, I get to 10' or shorter, I am not worried about balance (once exception), though I like it to be a little heavy in the butt. But fishing a 8' 4wt the rod on a small river, the orientation of the rod maybe be high to get over that boulder, or out curling a mend, and do not find it is critical, as long as the rod and reel do not feel heavy - which of course is subjective.

I am not into complex new reels, just to save a fraction of an ounce. I am happy with a Danielson Midge on a Kabuto 2wt and a Hardy Princess on a Bamboo 8' 5wt.

The only time, I carried about balance on a SH was when I assembled my wife's euro 10' rod, as the tip i always up. Light single foot guides, down-locking reel-seat and a Hardy Princess.

Yes, it is winter. This morning -26C.

-20C when I went for my walk in the afternoon, in the sun.

Post 17 Jan 2022, 09:49 • #35 
Glass Fanatic
Quote:
Yes, it is winter. This morning -26C.

-20C when I went for my walk in the afternoon, in the sun.

Nice! I miss that.

Post 17 Jan 2022, 10:40 • #36 
Guide
Agreed, GR, as I like to think of the rod starting at the point of my elbow..so , while casting at least, the weight of the reel is irrelevant.

The best weight is no weight when it comes to reels.

Also agree, while fishing the fly..... after casting hopefully ......there is a sort of balance that must be achieved between rod, reel and line. After we cast, however, what does the reel weigh, with 30 or more of line out, again hopefully, on the water? It should balance on its own, and should not be something to worry about.

Another point on using the wrist while casting: good casters use a lot of wrist. Rolling the wrist open and closing to the stop adds a lot of control and distance, while keeping the rod tip tip in the straight plane that we need. Master casting instructor Tom White made this point well in his sessions while he was still with us...a great teacher.

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply