It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:42

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply
Post 09 Jan 2022, 15:07 • #26 
Guide
BrianN wrote:
cappy wrote:
Line/backing capacity should be first and foremost especially with a click/pawl reel. Even a small saltwater fish can peel off line quickly.

Don't the Medalists use a form of disc drag? I wouldn't expect them to compare to modern disc drag systems, but shouldn't they offer something more than click/pawl?

BTW, I won a 1495 1/2 on the auction site, so I'll have to make it work. Will try a WF sinking line and put on as much 20 lb gel-spun backing as possible and hope for the best. If I get spooled (that would be something, but there are sharks and barracuda around here), then I'll have the excuse of getting a bigger reel!

My target species aren't that big: corvina, croakers, surf perch, spotted bay bass, halibut. It would be a rare day one of these could take me into the backing.
Yep your right, it's not a click/pawl drag. I guess they call it a drum drag. I'm not a medalist fan, never impressed me in any way, so I don't know much about them.

I agree with Trev, go with 40 lb gel-spun backing.

Post 09 Jan 2022, 17:34 • #27 
Glass Fanatic
DT lines do enable better control of the cast, the drift, or any other manipulations of the fly like swimming it, swinging, and so on. A better term might be "effective presentation," as opposed to "delicate" which usually implies emphasis on the way the fly lands. Still measuring a 50 foot cast to an exact landing spot and delicate placement is easier with a DT than a WF. Their advanatages aren't limited to dry fly presentations. Whenever it is an advantage to be in precise control of where the fly goes and what it does in the range of normal fishing distances, they have an edge. A WF line, not a specialy WF but a conventional one of the basic design of the fiberglass era, mutes that point to the distance where the running line enters the hand. Fishing to or across complex currents past that point when the running line is extended past the rod tip, control of the fly from the rod tip is compromised, except in dead straight retrieves across or up uniform currents. All less significant on still water or when the edge needs to go to distance or casting bulky/heavy flies relative to the line weight.

Post 11 Jan 2022, 14:00 • #28 
Glass Fanatic
BrianN wrote:
Don't the Medalists use a form of disc drag? I wouldn't expect them to compare to modern disc drag systems, but shouldn't they offer something more than click/pawl?

correct, the Medalist drag is adequate for everything short of big saltwater fish. Of course in the earlies they used Medalists there too and landed fish..
My brother used to fish a 1498 off the rocks in SA, landed leervis (big predator, like a queenfish), bluefish, etc. Once he hooked a tuna and got spooled, with 300yds of backing..

I use Medalists on carp in preference to a modern Orvis Encounter with fancy multi-disk drag.. the carp will routinely run 50-100 yards on the first run, then several shorter runs. The drag will be absolutely fine for anything you're likely to hook, barring the sharks..

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply