It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:20

New Topic Add Reply
Post 03 Jan 2022, 08:52 • #1 
So I am looking for a classic looking rod to pair with my Bogdan 00.

I like bamboo rod such as this Leonard style, with longer detachable fighting butt and rubber button.

There are a few graphite rods, like some custom or early Orvis, still had this style, before becoming to those very short all cork butt on the 7/8wt 9~10ft rods today.

Besides bamboo, I am open to glass also. I'd like to know if there is any glass rod built in this classic style? Brand? Model? that I could check them out on the 2nd hand market.

Thanks.

Post 03 Jan 2022, 19:00 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
There was a Phillipson 9' 3pc rod with a longer removable fighting butt. Not the rubber tailpiece but very nice.

Post 03 Jan 2022, 22:23 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
I had the 9'3" Berkley Para/Metric with a fighting butt. I've had a bunch of Para/Metrics and this is the only one I didn't like.

Hope eliminating choices helps limit the field.

I also remember having a Heddon with a fighting butt, but can't remember a darn thing about it, except it was pretty. May have been a Black Beauty. Just saying it does exist.

Barry

Post 04 Jan 2022, 11:08 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
You could also just take any glass or graphite rod you like and have a local rod builder make a custom fighting butt to suit you. Here is an example I did for someone who wanted a removable switch rod rig for his Fenwick ff 857. It's not an Atlantic salmon rod, but you get the idea. That rubber button you like might take a while to find.

Switch grip for two-hand casting, and a rubber butt plug for use without the switch grip.

Finished assembly; the client decided not to clean the grip since it was beginning to ridge. You probably won't need such a long ferrule for a fighting butt.

Post 04 Jan 2022, 12:38 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
The FF9310 from Fenwick fits the bill.

Post 04 Jan 2022, 13:24 • #6 
Guide
If I wanted a rod like kakaryan described, I would probably look first on eBay UK. The Brits seem to have that type of rod more readily available.

Post 04 Jan 2022, 13:58 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Giogio named one of several Fenwicks that fit the bill. They were developed in west coast steelheading as that fishery was restored, but Atlantic salmon fishermen took to them as well. In fiberglass, any number of 8 or 9 weight rods can be easily fitted with a fighting butt. About the time steelhead and salmon fishing redeveloped (aided by fisheries programs and the 1970s Clean Water Act), graphite came on the scene, and anglers quickly took to 8 and 9 weight models, which were easier for makers to develop with fewer disconcerting faults than lighter line rods (such as easily broken tips, or tips too stiff that risked breaking fine tippets.) This is not a knock on either type, just the state of development of the time. Guys like Ted Williams were happy fishing Atlantic salmon with the same Shakespeare heavyweights, no fighting butt, they might have used for smallmouths. Some dusted off a bamboo rod from decades before. But in that decade, development went to graphite, and guys who stuck with 'glass built their own on blanks sourced from major suppliers--Fenwick yellow, Lamiglas, Fisher and a few others like the Sceptre. The choice of a fighting butt was up to the builder, and it was--still is--easy to source or modify a reel seat to accept a removable fighting butt. So if you do choose glass, you can widen your choice and install a fighting butt if you want--about as archfly shows above.

Post 04 Jan 2022, 18:02 • #8 
Master Guide
https://fiberglassflyrodders.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=65295

Maybe look for a nice Phillipson like this one.

Post 14 Jan 2022, 09:44 • #9 
During the early period when Orvis was rolling their own glass, a 9 foot 9 wt 2/1 was made, albeit extremely rarely, with a full grip, aluminum and wood uplocking reel seat, and the locking mechanism was an extension butt that was threaded and advanced as the uplocker, I can provide pictures if needed, very cool rod, Todd

Post 21 Jan 2022, 14:56 • #10 
Master Guide
GRASSNGLASS wrote:
I had the 9'3" Berkley Para/Metric with a fighting butt. I've had a bunch of Para/Metrics and this is the only one I didn't like.

Hope eliminating choices helps limit the field.

I also remember having a Heddon with a fighting butt, but can't remember a darn thing about it, except it was pretty. May have been a Black Beauty. Just saying it does exist.

Barry

I can confirm what Mr. GRASSNGLASS says that Heddon made a Black Beauty Salmon rod which was a 3 piece 9 footer. I own one, although the original butt extension is missing. Probably I'll make one for the rod, as it's a pretty hefty stick to cast.

Post 21 Jan 2022, 18:28 • #11 
Master Guide
Something like this?

New Topic Add Reply