It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 10:54

Previous  1, 2, 3  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 25 Dec 2021, 21:22 • #26 
I'm still surprised to see that DT still exist! The only reason I purchased my last one (over a decade ago) was to cut it up into two shooting heads ...

Post 25 Dec 2021, 22:27 • #27 
Guide
Actually DTs not only still exist but are holding their own very nice against the proliferation of designs available in the WF configuration. Speaking as the owner of 406 Fly lines our DT lines outsell the WF lines easily 4 to 1. There has been a great resurgence in the use of DT lines particularly among former WF users. As the emphasis in fishing these days shifts more from "who can cast the farthest" to "let's slow down a little and enjoy fishing" people are discovering how versatile the DTs are. If you haven't tried one I would suggest you give one a try - you might just like it.

Tom

Post 26 Dec 2021, 10:24 • #28 
Guide
To me, the answer is not which is better, but what is it for?

I think more important in not DT or WF? How am I going to fish it, and what is the head taper to support this? Thinking trout > Am I in a small creek and unrolling a small fly upstream to a brookie close in with a small window? or am I unrolling a BWO far out over a run. After, I determine the best head front, then does the first 35' of the head support line mending. With a 8' fiberglass rod, can I really properly delicate mend more 5x the rod length of line and leader. (Answer has been no, maybe some day, but right now I can mend to my satisfaction up to 4x (including leader))

I do not want for my trout rods (<5wt) a bullet head, which we see for parking lot casting - think RIO Elite Technical Trout

So I am looking at the shape of the first 40' (unless I am spey fishing), and even this, with my longest rod trout spey rod (Meiser 15'6' 5wt), I am using a 45' head.

So if we look at
* Cortland Ultralight - Head - 37' with a nice long front taper great for that BWO example.
* Guideline Fario - similar to the Cortland Ultralight - 35'
* RIO LightLine - short taper (think small river) and the effective head is 38' from he tip pf the rod.

If I look at my old favourite Cortland 333, I have 36' with a nice 10' front taper.

But sadly, though the Cortland 444 Peach WF has a nice 6' front taper the mendable body is just 28' and thus I would not buy; though I like the DT Peach.

Is there anything wrong with a DT - nope. I have them in Silk (Phoenix), Cortland and a nice old 3M SA - but the point is, I am interested in what is happening in the first 40', as I am not able to delicately mend a dry-fly drift with more than 40' of line out using a 8' rod.

Part 1 of 2

Last edited by raspberry-patch on 26 Dec 2021, 11:32, edited 2 times in total.

Post 26 Dec 2021, 10:26 • #29 
Sport
desmobob wrote:
Moving water = the frequent necessity of mending and roll casting and a DT line is my choice...

+1

Mending is mostly the reason to use DT lines IMO. Roll cast pickup at distance also.

Last edited by Spec on 26 Dec 2021, 10:29, edited 1 time in total.

Post 26 Dec 2021, 10:28 • #30 
Guide
Part 2

So yes, I do have WF? Yes, when I want to shoot line and I am not delicately mending a line in a drift. So, I have

* Scandi head and the like on my Trout, Steelhead, Salmon Spey Rods - some as long as 63'
* Bullet heads to carry my shrimp patterns to Bonefish on the flats.
* Aggressive bullet heads for carrying Pike Flies to the edge of a weed bed after ice out.

Then am I interested in a head that loads the rod quickly from the boat, but not spook the fish off the flat? Or so heavy at front that it can carry a chicken to the awaiting Pike.

But like my previous post, I am interested in the head shape, but WF comes into play when I am wanting to cast a fly out to manage a swing or strip in.

IMHO - and I know some disagree - As stated many posts ago, I am support the manufacturers who post weights and profiles of their lines, as simple view gives me an understanding of what I hope the fly line can support, before I commit to buy.

Last edited by raspberry-patch on 29 Dec 2021, 12:55, edited 1 time in total.

Post 26 Dec 2021, 11:10 • #31 
Glass Fanatic
Since I rarely cast farther than 35 feet, I find I am usually fishing DTs and WFs that have the same taper profile in exactly the same way. I can achieve this because I use my exceptional wading skill to avoid the need for my exceptional casting skill ;-)

My only rule is that the line MUST meet AFTMA weight standards with no weird Frankenstein tapers, because I do not have need for these specialized tapers that serve some other fishermen well in certain circumstances. Also, if a recommended 5 wt line does not match the rod and I need a heavier line for best casting, I will use an AFTMA compliant 6 wt line on it, instead of a who-knows-what line sold as weight and a half.

I like Tom's 406 DT line as it has a nice front taper that matches my casting style. The other line I like in DT is a Cortland 444 Peach, as do many others here.

The line I liked to use on my 6 1/2', 7', and 7 1/2' Lamiglas rods was the SA Ultra 4. When I wore out my SA Ultra 4 in buckskin...I looked and looked and could not find another one. Fortunately Cyguy pointed out to me that the Ultra 4 had been rebranded as an SA Frequency line. The DT is not the buckskin color I like but the WF line is. So I got one and am very appreciative for the help from Cyguy to find it. Never have been much for lines that are bright colors and prefer a more subdued color fly line.

Post 26 Dec 2021, 13:17 • #32 
Glass Fanatic
The more a fishing situation calls for bulky/heavy flies to be thrown or chucked, and the greater the desired distance, the more a WF or specialty line with compact taper/weight concentration may be useful. The more traditional flies will be cast and manipulated by the weight of the line, the more suitable and versatile a DT line.

Post 28 Dec 2021, 23:40 • #33 
Glass Fanatic
Bamboozle wrote:
the only WF's I use (excluding one) are specialty lines for specific applications because they are only offered and only work as WF's. It is also no coincidence they aren't trout fishing lines.

yep.. have some bass and saltwater WFs, a couple of home made shooting heads, everything else is DT. The DT mends better, casts further in a wind, is easier to cast where high backcasts are needed, roll casts better, generally a superior line for everything trout. The one exception is a long-belly WF 5 on my Orvis CFO III, which really isn't big enough for a DT 5F.

Post 29 Dec 2021, 02:09 • #34 
Glass Fanatic
soooo, some people like them, some people don't, some people use other styles of lines, we all fly fish mostly because it's fun (didn't want to speak for anyone else there).

glad we could clear that up...

Post 29 Dec 2021, 07:07 • #35 
Piscator
if internet forums are used as a benchmark, fly fishermen aren't allowed to have fun in the winter.

Post 29 Dec 2021, 08:08 • #36 
Glass Fanatic
I love the DT but a couple of my rods really perform with a long belly WF so to me it has a lot to do with the rod........Aurelio

Post 29 Dec 2021, 08:55 • #37 
Glass Fanatic
bulldog1935 wrote:
if internet forums are used as a benchmark, fly fishermen aren't allowed to have fun in the winter.

:lol :lol

seriously....

Post 29 Dec 2021, 15:39 • #38 
Master Guide
bulldog1935 wrote:

Not true! Us Florida fly fishers are having tons of fun!!!!!

Post 29 Dec 2021, 17:24 • #39 
Piscator
Randy gets it - he's lived through a few winters on internet forums.

the trouble always begins with one quoting another to take exception
usually followed by the words not true.

geography lesson

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 30 Dec 2021, 07:05, edited 1 time in total.

Post 29 Dec 2021, 17:37 • #40 
Glass Fanatic
Not true...

Just kidding. Happy New Year to all!

Days are already getting longer.

Post 29 Dec 2021, 17:40 • #41 
Piscator
:like

Post 29 Dec 2021, 17:46 • #42 
Glass Fanatic
No, the trouble begins on this form in particular when someone posts a cryptic reply to a post and then take offense to something that is obviously meant to be a joke.

Post 30 Dec 2021, 00:31 • #43 
Glass Fanatic
Quote:

thank god!!

Quote:
Randy gets it - he's lived through a few winters on internet forums.

well, I do now....that may not have always been the case.

In the words of one of my favorite sports talk personalities, "I like to get it right, I don't have to BE right"

or something like that....I think it's a pretty good motto to live by.

Cheers!

I hope that everyone can fish for fun soon!

Post 30 Dec 2021, 07:32 • #44 
Piscator
the trick is never assuming the worst but the best, and remember we're here playing on Tom's swings.

on topic - WF and DT is really simple - WF is made for shooting line, DT is made for turning over line.
In the range of normal trout fishing, the differences remain on the reel.
Fly fishing on the other hand, is marketed to appear complicated.
They figured out long ago they can sell us ego gratification and make us want more every year.

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 30 Dec 2021, 09:12, edited 1 time in total.

Post 30 Dec 2021, 08:26 • #45 
Sport
paveglass wrote:
Not true...

Just kidding. Happy New Year to all!

You didn't quote him...it doesn't work right without the quote! :P

On topic, I don't know if this is just an age/timing thing or a total coincidence, but when I got serious about fly fishing in the early 90s my perception was that DT lines were old fashioned and didn't try them for a long time.

Post 30 Dec 2021, 09:28 • #46 
Guide
Swoffman wrote:
I'm still surprised to see that DT still exist! The only reason I purchased my last one (over a decade ago) was to cut it up into two shooting heads ...

I still think that's a good idea, and yes, DTs are much harder to come by than they once were. Just this week I took out a new, inexpensive 3-weight DT that had already been cut in half to try on a rod that is still a work in progress. The objective was to find out how much line I could keep aerialized with good line speed and a tight loop. The next step is to cut the line at that point and tie in a running line...

Post 30 Dec 2021, 14:37 • #47 
Glass Fanatic
Can we just start a Cabin Fever thread where everyone gets mad at each other? I would love to limit the gripes to one thread.

BTW, DT lines are useless.

Post 30 Dec 2021, 14:50 • #48 
Glass Fanatic
I have a number of WF lines that I use only on very small streams, if the stream is very big, on any long cast I find myself trying to roll cast running line and it just sucks. Of course I've only been mucking around with fly lines for about 46 years, so still learning, but, so far I've never found a reason not to use a DT.
I can see that in a distance contest, WF might have some advantage, but, my fishing is all at less than 75'.

Post 30 Dec 2021, 15:25 • #49 
Piscator
Every beginning fly caster learns quickly their WF running line won't turn over the belly and it all falls on their head.
That same length of line, the DT continues to turn over.
As far as the other, the gripes fulfill themselves.

Post 30 Dec 2021, 15:32 • #50 
Master Guide
[quote][/quote]

Ideally you should be able to carry able at least 70'of dt line.

Previous  1, 2, 3  Next New Topic Add Reply