It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 03:00

Previous  1, 2, 3 New Topic Add Reply
Post 30 Dec 2021, 20:14 • #51 
Guide
With an 8 wt line? Never for me, to buy a DT for the fishing I do, warmwater out of a float tube/pontoon boat.

Who wants to carry 70' in the air when you can shoot out the line from 30-40 feet, feeling the the head of the weight forward..where it tapers on the back side to the running line.

There must be some applications where a DT flyline would be preferable, but cannot think of any offhand. A bit of "cabin fever" this week , with cold and storms blowing through the southwest via the west coast (Calif getting smashed right now), but we get to fish all winter, even though the water gets a bit cold in the hills toward the international border.

That said, I will fish a wf 6wt Redfish line from Cortland locally..will fish pretty much anything I have handy that match the crazy rods I possess. Most of the lines fish fine, especially with the vintage glass...

Post 30 Dec 2021, 22:20 • #52 
Guide
I use DT most of the time, but whenever the plan is to use heavy or wind resistant flies I use a front heavy WF - I have a few bass bug taper lines that work well for this duty. I also have 2 WF lines for shooting to get a little extra distance, I tend to use them on ponds and lakes rather than rivers and creeks. I may be mistaken but I believe most of the multiple varieties of weight forward lines don't really buy that much in the way of performance and are simply created so the line companies have an excuse to sell anglers more and more expensive lines. As has been pointed out - a weight forward also requires less space on a reel - allowing a smaller and thus likely a lighter reel. An advantage with many graphite rods.

Post 30 Dec 2021, 22:30 • #53 
Glass Fanatic
And people make fun of me and my love for overweighted shooting heads to turn over certain big flies, yet then there's all this talk about carrying 70' of a DT which would probably amount to more weight than the shooting heads I normally fish.

It's all good though. Fish how you like, when you like, where you like and for what you like...I absolutely love fishing, this much I know.

I hope everyone has an excellent new year!

Post 30 Dec 2021, 23:08 • #54 
Piscator
Teeny line junkie here - roll-pick-up, back-cast, shoot.
I'm the guy who will never understand weighted flies.

Post 01 Jan 2022, 11:01 • #55 
Guide
Quote:
Ideally you should be able to carry able at least 70' of dt line
Wow 70' plus leader and tippet, your a better man then I.

Post 04 Jan 2022, 08:11 • #56 
Glass Fanatic
Obviously that requires some casting skills and a rod with sufficient reserve power......
An exercise for grass or the casting pool more than anything else. - With that I'm not saying it is useless; "theoretical" casts can teach lessons that can be applied to "practical" casts - if you get what I mean.

Post 04 Jan 2022, 08:32 • #57 
Piscator
Stealth is the most important skill catching fish.
Sparing casts and reading water.
Casting is over-rated, and part of the industry hype.
I mentioned on another page, the differences in WF and DT remain on the spool in normal stream fishing range.

Previous  1, 2, 3 New Topic Add Reply