It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 19:12

1, 2, 3  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 22 Dec 2021, 13:14 • #1 
Sport
Recently, I've been exploring DT lines on bamboo and glass, having only ever fished WF with graphite rods. I've found that in most instances, I really like the way they cast (particularly up close) on my shorter and lighter line weight rods...say 3wt and 4wt. I understand that there's not much difference between the two types of lines inside of 30' but for some reason they seem to hold tighter loops and feel smoother.

That said, I've read that some folks use DT for dries and up close work, but move to WF lines when they're trying to cast at greater distances or moving up to heavier rods.

So for the folks fishing glass, do you follow this type of "logic"? Do you fish DT or WF exclusively? And, if you do switch, at what weight or conditions do you make the switch?

Post 22 Dec 2021, 13:30 • #2 
Sport
I'm a newbie at glass, but I don't think the distance casting differences between WF and DT are nearly as big a deal as some folks seem to think. Sure, if you're casting 75ft +, double-hauling and really shooting line it's going to matter, but that's pretty specialized. I've been adding DT lines for my cane rods and I've had a couple of them improve significantly with the change so I'm going start trying them on glass as the weather cooperates. In one case I had a rod go from "that's nice" with a WF5 to "WOW!" with a DT5, so it's worth trying.

I've been trying to stick to lines that are all traditional weights to minimize variables a bit...added a couple of 406 DT lines so far and now plan to add them in a couple more weights.

Post 22 Dec 2021, 13:30 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
I switch when I win a line in a fundraising raffle.
More seriously, I prefer to fish DT for fresh water, although sometimes a reel fit is better with a WF. The heaviest DTs I have are 7, which I prefer in flowing water for mending. Usually just keep fishing DT at that weight on still water, but might switch over at 6/7 to meet conditions. Everything 8+ is WF.
Although a fair amount of 6 and under is WF, because that’s what’s often in raffles, etc., and I get lucky sometimes. Most distances don’t really matter.

Post 22 Dec 2021, 14:17 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
At the point you have to because I have found the rod ultimately dictates the line..

and the two must meet somewhere close to work well.. but dead on and you have a true pinpoint instrument.

I believe the key here is to have many spools with extra lines to try...

Post 22 Dec 2021, 17:56 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Mostly a matter of reel capacity. :)
My WF lines tend to have long heads and long back tapers so even mending when swinging flies isn't really an issue.

Assuming the front tapers and bellies are similar on the WF and DT, then the lines are largely interchangeable.

On the other hand if the tapers are very different in the first 30' its those differences that might be the decider regardless of whether the line is a DT or WF.

Post 22 Dec 2021, 18:45 • #6 
Master Guide
Moving water = the frequent necessity of mending and roll casting and a DT line is my choice.
Still/salt water = generally making long casts and needing lots of backing and a WF is preferred.

Post 22 Dec 2021, 20:28 • #7 
Master Guide
giogio wrote:
Mostly a matter of reel capacity. :)
My WF lines tend to have long heads and long back tapers so even mending when swinging flies isn't really an issue.

Assuming the front tapers and bellies are similar on the WF and DT, then the lines are largely interchangeable.

On the other hand if the tapers are very different in the first 30' its those differences that might be the decider regardless of whether the line is a DT or WF.

+1

Post 23 Dec 2021, 00:38 • #8 
Guide
desmobob wrote:
Moving water = the frequent necessity of mending and roll casting and a DT line is my choice.
Still/salt water = generally making long casts and needing lots of backing and a WF is preferred.

Same here, although roll casting has little to with it. Generally if I'm roll casting, I'm not casting far enough to get the head of a WF line past the rod tip.

Post 23 Dec 2021, 08:12 • #9 
Piscator
I switch to WF on reel capacity limit or rod length.
Short glass doesn't need a DT unless you go to a short DT, such as the BPS 10- and 15-m DT lines.

Dry fly example on a Young pattern 2a - would otherwise be fishing a DT here

Short rod example

3rd choice would be casting sliders to distant bass rises.

6-wt DT takes a lot of reel

Post 23 Dec 2021, 09:08 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
As 99% of my FLY fishing is for trout, the only WF's I use (excluding one) are specialty lines for specific applications because they are only offered and only work as WF's. It is also no coincidence they aren't trout fishing lines:

Bass bug tapers for wind resistant flies, a Rio Smallmouth line and some Rio Clouser lines. The only regular WF I own I use for panfish.

Ironically, the first DT I ever purchased was back in the early 2000's and I never bought another WF after that for trout fishing. Fortunately for me, my rods like DT's and so do I and reel capacity isn't something I worry about with trout.

Post 23 Dec 2021, 09:12 • #11 
Guide
A WF is basically a DT until you get to the rear taper, so if you consistently fish a short line it doesn't matter, granted the front tapers are the same. For me a WF line is more versatile. I don't care about the ability to switch a DT around.

Post 23 Dec 2021, 09:14 • #12 
Piscator
I agree with everything cappy just posted, but very simply,
WF is made to shoot after the belly.
DT line becomes all belly, and will handle longer line lengths in the air.

Post 23 Dec 2021, 10:34 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
Personally, I can't stand WF lines. But I do own one for fishing heavy nymphs and streamers. I don't use it often.

Post 23 Dec 2021, 10:42 • #14 
Piscator
and western rivers don't look like this

Post 23 Dec 2021, 10:50 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
Personally, I used to use DT lines frequently when I frequently fished for trout. I don't have any left and likely will never buy another as I just don't have any use for them based on both my prevalent target species and how I like to fish for them. Even when I did fish them, there was really no advantage.

So, I guess to answer the OPs question, I switched from them over 15 years ago, and haven't looked back....lol

Post 23 Dec 2021, 14:01 • #16 
Guide
Creek fishing gets a WF for the short casts on my 3 wt fenglass. That rod also roll casts fine with a wf line although dt are generally better for that. For larger streams and small rivers I like the DT for longer casts with a dry fly.

Post 23 Dec 2021, 14:48 • #17 
Sport
Lived in MT my whole life and fished WF my whole life until i picked up some 406 DT lines and have been fishing them the last four years,but gradually interchanging my Wf lines with the DT lines,so now it is day to day depending on the rod or stream,i usually fish dries all year but use a WF when fishing streamers.My next line is going to be a Phoenix Silk in a 4wt not sure which taper i will get as it will be a sink tip after about 4 hours.

Post 23 Dec 2021, 14:54 • #18 
Glass Fanatic
Make sure to try Otter Butter with that silk line.

It works much better than Red Mucilin and gives me 6 - 8 hours on sunny mild days.

Post 23 Dec 2021, 15:01 • #19 
Glass Fanatic
bulldog1935 wrote:
Short glass doesn't need a DT unless you go to a short DT, such as the BPS 10- and 15-m DT lines.

I know those Bass Pro Shop short DT lines have been mentioned before, but this is a good reminder of them. Can solve some reel capacity issues for smaller waters when you won’t be fishing 60 feet.

Post 23 Dec 2021, 16:06 • #20 
Master Guide
I believe weight forward tapers come in a lot of configurations nowadays. So many of them are not just like a DT for the first 30 feet or so. Furthermore, designated line weights are all over the board nowadays so look at the grain weight at 30 feet if that type of thing is important to you. I don't think there are all that many DTs coming in overweight but I may be wrong.

DTs roll cast nicely after 30 feet but then again so do TT lines and SHS lines (which are very overweight)

If your fishing in rather tight cover just go up a line weight and that should suffice.

It's great having such a nice selection of lines to choose from though they can be rather confusing.

Post 23 Dec 2021, 16:38 • #21 
Piscator
i've brought up before DT aren't even like DT, many now with back taper.

Post 25 Dec 2021, 09:14 • #22 
Guide
Sorry Ron, but I don't quite understand. Could you break "DT" down into smaller words?

Post 25 Dec 2021, 16:11 • #23 
Glass Fanatic
Some of the modern DT's have a taper on one end that is 15ft and if you switch the line around, the front taper is 30 ft. I haven't seen one with a thinner middle yet (rear taper) but it's coming if it's not here yet. They have to have some excuse to charge $80 for a fly line.

Post 25 Dec 2021, 16:55 • #24 
Guide
Carlz, thanks for the explanation, especially if that is what our friendly Bulldog was referring to.

There is something that may be like what you mentioned and it’s called a DWF (double weight forward) line from Scientific Anglers. It’s been mentioned in these two threads.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=71477

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=71670

Post 25 Dec 2021, 19:50 • #25 
Glass Fanatic
Dwf. What a concept. That sounds like it.
I remember that post. I just didn't remember that line.

1, 2, 3  Next New Topic Add Reply