It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 03:54

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 08 Dec 2021, 18:59 • #1 
Sport
I apologize for asking line questions all the time, but I really like it when a rod and a line come together and something special happens. And, since I've been on a glass buying spree, I've been asking more than my fair share of questions.

I recently received an Orvis SFG 7'6" 4wt. I had ordered one a couple months back but it had some cosmetic issues and I just could never find the right combo, so I got rid of it. Now that I'm going deeper down the rabbit hole, I thought I'd try it one more time. Here's what I've discovered...

I seem to cast it best with SA Amplitude Smooth Infiniti WF4 (actually 4.5) and Orvis Hydros Superfine WF5. Other lines included:
406 WF5, SA MPX WF5 (5.5) and Cortland Sylk DT4. The MPX formed nice loops and was good up close but I felt like I was having to push the rod. The 406 and Cortland Sylk just didn't respond.

I've thought about buying Cortland 444 Peach in a DT5 just to try something different, but could also just be wasting money.

Here's what I don't get...the SA Smooth Infiniti WF4 and the Orvis Hydros Superfine WF5 have very different profiles. The SA has a 48' head with a long belly and a 6' taper. The Superfine has a 37.5' head with a 17' belly and a 9.5' taper. It seems in some ways that the two are significantly different. Which leads me to ask...why do they seem to perform equally as well with my casting stroke? My test casts ranged from about 10' to 30', with the sweet spot for both being about 25'

So, ultimately my question is what line do you find works best with this rod for general purpose work? I have both SFG 3wt's already dialed in for really tight quarters and would like this one to be geared more towards actual casts with about 70/30 dry fly/nymph or bugger. Why do these lines seem to work and do you think there's a better choice? Might I be better off with a 444 Peach DT5 or a 406 DT5?

Thoughts? Musings?

Post 08 Dec 2021, 19:11 • #2 
Master Guide
Hello, I like a 406 WF 4 F or a SA frequency WF 4 F. Both lines load the rod very well and are a joy to cast

Post 08 Dec 2021, 20:00 • #3 
Guide
I liked Rio Gold wf4 and SA Mastery Trout wf4 with that rod. I’m my hands, 5wt lines were not the ticket.

Post 08 Dec 2021, 22:49 • #4 
Master Guide
Speaking from experience, if test casting in the backyard, be sure to cast it with the proper flies on it, which add a few more grains. If you’re really picky about the “feel”, a wet and soggy size 8-10 Wooley Bugger vs a dry size 14 Parachute Adams, for example, will change the dynamics. I’ve had lines that were “perfect” when test casting in the backyard that then felt relatively overloaded with heavy-ish flies on them.

When I had that exact rod, I liked it best with a 4.5 WF line.

Post 08 Dec 2021, 22:57 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
The 4wt was the first Superfine Glass model I bought, and I purchased it as an outfit, which came with the Superfine 4wt line and a Battenkill reel. It worked great for me. Granted this is the older model of the Superfine lines.

Another line I like with it is the Airflo Xceed 4wt, which is a half weight heavy, and textured. Again, this is the older model of the line. It can work reasonably well with some 5wt lines, too, as you've noticed.

These things are all pretty subjective. I hope you enjoy your new rod !

Post 09 Dec 2021, 08:24 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
I don't know how much line you had out when testing, but the with the longer head of the 4 wt and it really being 4.5 wt line, maybe those two lines head weight was close to the same.

Post 09 Dec 2021, 08:59 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
I wouldn't use any DT5 on this rod unless you'd only be using the first 30ft of line. Beyond that it will quickly overload the rod. A "true" WF5 will work but best at close to moderate range. Any long distance casting you should use a half heavy 4wt. I like it best with a WF4 Rio Gold or WF4 SA Frequency Boost.

Post 09 Dec 2021, 09:55 • #8 
Master Guide
I would Highly recommend you to read this:
https://www.tridentflyfishing.com/blog/ ... ers-guide/
its the most complete analysis of common mainstream offerings that I am aware of. often times the stated taper on the box is not the same as what these fellows actually measured. Their efforts focus around a ultra fast graphite, but I think this is still a good thought exercise.

secondly, be careful about lawn casting. I did a lot of what you are doing now early in the spring this year. there are several lines that lawn casted awesome (frequency magnum 6wt) but didnt hold up on the water. I bought the magnum 6wt as a bass/streamer/mouse line for a FF756. It cast awesome on the grass but on the water a regular old cortland 444 dt6 shot better, gave more distance, turned over heavy flies better, etc.

consider the idea that the line that lets you blast off the best 60ft casts and makes you feel like a casting super star in the grass may cast like hot trash at 20ft on the water where you actually catch all of your fish.. YMMV.

I havent found a glass rod yet that wont cast a 444dt in its labeled line weight acceptably. often times said line is not my favorite on the rod, but they always seem to work.

I guess my point is, its easy to think too hard and make too much of all of this. spend no more than 3-5 minutes per line casting on grass (with a leader and dummy fly) at your intended minimum and maximum ranges. take the one (or two) best lines from that brief exercise to the water ang go fishing. its more fun and your neighbors will stop gossiping about you being a drunk.

one other thought regarding your rod length/ line weight post from earlier - I think the idea that an X length Y line weight rod is good for a certain thing might be a pretty recent "graphite-centric" idea. for instance, we all know what a helios 3 9' 5wt was really designed to be good at. glass, and especially vintage glass often seems to perform well outside of these modern notions of what certain line weights and rod lengths are good for. for instance, before I found this site I fished a graphite 7'3" 3wt for small stream trout. now I fish a 7' 6wt for small stream trout which most people would consider to be.. silly? in other words, I thing specific rods and tapers may have been designed for certain types of fishing tasks that are not easily summarized by a line weight and a rod length. sometimes you just have to fish the rod/line to figure out what kind of fishing situation it will be good for and what kind of flies you like to cast on it.

Post 09 Dec 2021, 10:06 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
At 10' it's all leader and rod, so the line could be a #12 and not be much different, even at 30' there are only a few feet of untapered line in the equation and not more than a few grains different between any of the lines. I'd be surprised if anyone could tell a difference in the weight of the various lines. Take a standard #4 @129grains and a #5 @140grains, at 30' there is a 20grains difference on a scale, with the #5 weighing about the same as 4 USA dimes and the #4 weighing about the same as 3 1/2 dimes, so as an experiment take 3 dimes in one hand and 4 dimes in the other hand and notice how much heavier one hand feels, that's about twice the felt difference between the #4 and #5 at 30' or about 4-6 times the felt difference between #4 and #5 at the distances you mention.
If you carry the full head outside the rod tiptop in an over head cast you would notice a greater difference, but I would expect most rods to carry 40' of any of the lines about the same because even at that distance the mass loading the rod are not greatly different, add 4-5' to the length of the lightest line and the mass will be close to the heaviest line. The profile differences are more about where on the line that mass is located and in my thinking have less impact on felt loading or distance cast than the marketing people would have us believe. Profile might make a great difference in how the fly lands but that can be more affected by the leader used.
What I'm trying to say is that I think you are looking for a greater difference than you are likely able to feel. I'm not very sensitive, but if you put the entire line of each of those lines you mentioned into identical containers like a paper cup or a sock, I could not differentiate between them by feel.
I'm a mediocre caster even after 46 years of fishing with 'glass fly rods, because it was all fishing and very little casting, but, I'm guessing that I could fish any of those lines in #4 - #6 on that rod just because I don't have high expectations and my stroke is variable. I'm sure that after using each of the lines to catch 10 or 20 fish with #16 - #2 flies that I would prefer one or two of the lines over the others.
My advice is pick one that has a nice color and spend about three days on the water with it, then chose another and do the same. I'd also advise a ~7' 5X leader for fishing with the short rod, and if using extruded leader I'd cut the butt down to where the diameter is ~0.017 rather" than 0.021"-0.024". In my fishing, leader seems to have greater effect on my cast than line or rod does.

Post 09 Dec 2021, 10:34 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
Having played around with that rod a fair bit from my time with the company, I really like it with a standard 4wt for medium sized creeks/rivers and a 5wt for smaller streams (or anything within 40'). It makes an excellent quicker 4wt and it makes an excellent 5wt (without bogging it down).

Post 09 Dec 2021, 10:55 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
Ultimately the presentation predominantly depends on the fly/leader combination. I can use a level line and use a hand tied leader with a much heavier than usual butt to more or less duplicate a DT........

When you test a bunch of lines like that your preference will be partly formed by the order in which you cast them and what you had for breakfast that day.

After two or three days of fishing any one of those lines and adapting to them you would probably be quite happy or at the very least effective.

Just choose a line that feels reasonably good and whose taper makes sense for the fishing you do and use it. No need to overthink it.

If you are absolutely going to nit pick asking third party opinions isn't going to be very useful because you are the one who is being finicky - no one can tell you what your tastes are.

I have to say that my approach to testing a new rod with different lines is completely different: I buy my favourite fly line tapers in a range of weights (SA Trout in 3 to 8 WT and SA DT in 3 to 6 wt). I will then try a couple or three different weights on the same rod - but I am keeping the line design more or less constant (different weights in the same line will have slightly different head lengths and front taper lengths). This gives me feedback on how the rod will feel and cast with different line weights and I form an opinion on when I want to use one weight or the other. I stick to a line design that I feel is sufficiently versatile and appropriate for the fishing I do.

This is a very efficient way of having a mental reference of how the rod behaves and helps me learn it very quickly. If I then try a fly line with a different taper design from my reference lines, I am able to differentiate between the effect of the taper change and the effect of the line being half a weight lighter or heavier. This helps me decide quickly what the strengths and weaknesses of any specialty taper might be.

Post 09 Dec 2021, 13:21 • #12 
Master Guide
Great discussion

Post 09 Dec 2021, 13:59 • #13 
Sport
This is kind of genius.

giogio wrote:
Ultimately the presentation predominantly depends on the fly/leader combination. I can use a level line and use a hand tied leader with a much heavier than usual butt to more or less duplicate a DT........

When you test a bunch of lines like that your preference will be partly formed by the order in which you cast them and what you had for breakfast that day.

After two or three days of fishing any one of those lines and adapting to them you would probably be quite happy or at the very least effective.

Just choose a line that feels reasonably good and whose taper makes sense for the fishing you do and use it. No need to overthink it.

If you are absolutely going to nit pick asking third party opinions isn't going to be very useful because you are the one who is being finicky - no one can tell you what your tastes are.

I have to say that my approach to testing a new rod with different lines is completely different: I buy my favourite fly line tapers in a range of weights (SA Trout in 3 to 8 WT and SA DT in 3 to 6 wt). I will then try a couple or three different weights on the same rod - but I am keeping the line design more or less constant (different weights in the same line will have slightly different head lengths and front taper lengths). This gives me feedback on how the rod will feel and cast with different line weights and I form an opinion on when I want to use one weight or the other. I stick to a line design that I feel is sufficiently versatile and appropriate for the fishing I do.

This is a very efficient way of having a mental reference of how the rod behaves and helps me learn it very quickly. If I then try a fly line with a different taper design from my reference lines, I am able to differentiate between the effect of the taper change and the effect of the line being half a weight lighter or heavier. This helps me decide quickly what the strengths and weaknesses of any specialty taper might be.

Post 09 Dec 2021, 14:31 • #14 
Guide
I have 20 fiberglass rods. Mostly 4 and 5 weights with several old Fenwick. I try to use each one at least several times a season. I mostly sight fish. I have simplified matching lines to rods. I have six Phlueger #1494 all spooled with 406 or Sylk 5DT and four Ross CLA #2 spooled with 406 or Sylk 4DT. If I am fishing a 5 or 6 wt. rod I take a #1494, if fishing a 4wt. take a Ross. Is one rod/line combo better than another? Probably. Does the line/rod choice affect my fishing enough that I have to use one specific rod/line combination? No. I do fish a 406 DT4 on my Orvis SFG 476 and it is a very accurate rod to 40 or 50 feet. I guess I am in the not overthinking it camp.

Post 09 Dec 2021, 16:43 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
Casting on water is the best way to get the feel of a line, not only how it casts, but how it handles in common fishing moves such as mending.
The line has to be wet and picked up off water. If you pick up off grass/gravel/pavement, you'll adopt a different style to avoid herky-jerk loading. Or you'll wind up carrying line and making unnecessary false casts. You can throw a low loop to lift the line off the ground, just as is often done to avoid disturbing the fishing water on pick-up, but the feel a dry line still won't be the same, in the fingertips or through the guides.

Post 09 Dec 2021, 17:07 • #16 
Glass Fanatic
Scooter1942 wrote:
...I recently received an Orvis SFG 7'6" 4wt. Here's what I've discovered... I seem to cast it best with SA Amplitude Smooth Infiniti WF4 (actually 4.5) and Orvis Hydros Superfine WF5...

Scooter:

First, I don't own that rod, so I can't offer any recommendations on lines, nor have I drilled down into the weight distribution on the tapers of the two lines you liked on your rod at the distances you cast and compared them.

Second, a question and a suggestion: Were you test casting lines with a leader and a fly or a reasonable facsimile of a fly? If so, did you use the same leader and/or leader length & taper with each line you tested? If you didn't, you should have to make an accurate comparison.

However, it seems to me you are over-analyzing the tapers and their effect and missing that fact that YOUR casting stroke and "feel" preference seems to be for using a line HEAVIER (you said liked a WF4.5 and a WF5 line), than the line weight written on the blank for that rod. There is NOTHING wrong with that because it is what YOU like that matters and it seems to me you already discovered that.

If you feel compelled to experiment more, try a 4wt DT and see if you hate it in close and like it more past 40 feet. If so, you are more or less confirming that you like a heavier line on that rod because with a DT, the more line you have out past 30 feet, the heavier it becomes which means you may be casting a 4.5 or 5wt at 40 - 50 feet.

In the meantime, I wouldn't waste any more time or money messing around with true-to-weight standard taper WF4 or DT4 lines (406, Sylk, 444, etc.) as it seems they don't load that rod the way you like. And trust me, you WON'T like them based on what you DO like unless you try a true-to-weight/standard taper WF5 weight or find a true-to-weight/standard taper WF4.5. I would also avoid experimenting with DT5's as well, because I don't think you would like the way the rod loads beyond 40 feet.

Good luck!!

Post 09 Dec 2021, 19:09 • #17 
Sport
I really appreciate all the thoughtful replies.

To answer a few questions.

Yes, I had a standard 4x tapered leader that probably started as a 9’ and is about 7.5-8’ now. To the end of that was tied a piece of mop fly chenille.

I realized today that the Cortland Sylk I tried the other day was likely a WF4. I tried it again today with a DT4 Cortland Sylk and it seemed to do better but not necessarily better than my other two. Up close I could tip cast ok, hit a sweet spot around 25-30’ and kind of fell apart past 35’ (the same is true for all lines on this rod)

I’m leaning towards the SA Smooth Infinity but given that I don’t see bombing long casts I wonder if a DT4 would be better? Something with a shorter tip than the SYLK or 406, like a Cortland Peach 444?

Post 09 Dec 2021, 20:27 • #18 
Guide
I have the 764 and so far prefer it with the SA Infinity Smooth WF4. Same line you're using. I think it's great paring. I'm sure there are other lines that would work well too. Much of this is personal preference as others have said.

Post 09 Dec 2021, 20:47 • #19 
Glass Fanatic
"Up close I could tip cast ok, hit a sweet spot around 25-30’ and kind of fell apart past 35’ (the same is true for all lines on this rod)"

This is a powerful 4wt rod, some think it's closer to a 5wt.. Although not the best tool for long distance casting, with the right line and normal casting technique it will cast well beyond 35' with good loop shape.

Post 10 Dec 2021, 05:31 • #20 
Glass Fanatic
Quote:
I’m leaning towards the SA Smooth Infinity but given that I don’t see bombing long casts I wonder if a DT4 would be better? Something with a shorter tip than the SYLK or 406, like a Cortland Peach 444?

The DT is two lines in one. You are always carrying a spare with you. That's a nice thought if nothing else. But the infinity seems to make you happy so why not stick to it?

Keep in mind that any line that you think has an overly long front taper can be cut back a foot or two or three......

Not something I have done but nonetheless an idea you can play with: buy a DT, cut one end back three feet. Needle knot 9" of mono of suitable diameter for leader butt to both ends and terminate in perfection loop. Put a perfection loop on the butt end of your leaders so that you can quickly change them. {You may want slightly thicker mono on the cut back side}

Now you can play around fishing with long or short front tapers by just taking five minutes to flip your line around. But I am ready to bet that even though the difference is going to be noticeable you will eventually use one or the other just as effectively in most situations. So yes, you can feel a difference but practically as long as you are sufficiently proficient to adjust your technique to the gear, the gear doesn't really make that much of a difference.

By the way if you are going to go this far then you should give thought to hand tying your own leaders. Leader taper has a larger effect on presentation than front taper of a flyline (at least when it comes to lighter line weights).

One of the reasons you may have the impression that long front taper lines like the Sylk or Peach (an excellent line) are not optimal is that most commercially available tapered leaders have butts that are too thick for these lines. You want a leader butt that's 0,45mm or .018", 0,50mm or .020" is tollerable but that's it. With superfast carbon rods it really doesn't matter too much but that's not what we are talking about. Then there's the welded loop on the flyline - if you don't immediately cut that off and replace with a needle knot you have no right to nit pick about the finer points of flyline tapers :lol

Mind you it's perfectly OK to ignore the finer points and just get on with the fishing.

Post 10 Dec 2021, 06:58 • #21 
Glass Fanatic
Interesting giogio, decades ago I found that nearly all extruded leaders were improved by cutting a foot or two off the thick end til the diameter is ~.017-.018" and nail knotting to the line at that point, but I had not realized that that was line brand related, I was using Peach and Triangle Taper (very long front taper, all taper?) at the time and just assumed that all line brands would be of similar diameter at the taper end of similar sized lines, like the old letter designations would indicate.
So many of the "rules" of leader construction and use (like the 0.002" max step down) came from the use of "gut" that I guessed the .021"+ butts were a holdover idea too. On my 4wt & 5wt lines I generally use 0.015" butts.

Post 10 Dec 2021, 07:26 • #22 
Guide
When I started to get a bit serious about fly fishing and started tying my own leaders, I used (and still use) the Ritz formula (60-20-20) and would use a micrometer to measure the line tip, then start out with the leader butt about 2/3 as thick as the line tip. That was and is a pretty good starting point. However, some fly lines and monofilament lines are stiffer or more flexible than others. A good way of testing for the right diameter is to tie a nail knot (or a loop if one prefers) and then see how the line and leader butt flex at that connection. The leader butt should flex a bit more easily than the line tip, with no "hinging".

Post 10 Dec 2021, 08:37 • #23 
Sport
I had good luck with the 406 DT line as well as the Orvis Clearwater WF--both seemed to cast fine for me

Post 10 Dec 2021, 18:37 • #24 
Glass Fanatic
Scooter1942 wrote:
I realized today that the Cortland Sylk I tried the other day was likely a WF4. I tried it again today with a DT4 Cortland Sylk and it seemed to do better but not necessarily better than my other two.

Those lines are very similar up to 34' so I wouldn't expect any difference until casting well beyond that..
The DT has a level 2' tip which the WF doesn't, otherwise the same.

Quote:
Up close I could tip cast ok, hit a sweet spot around 25-30’ and kind of fell apart past 35’ (the same is true for all lines on this rod)

I wonder if you may be overpowering the rod a bit.. my usual failing with slower glass and cane rods, is to push them hard which doesn't work. I have to relax and wait for the backcast, let the rod work more and do less myself, to get distance..

Post 10 Dec 2021, 22:47 • #25 
Guide
Quote:
I wonder if you may be overpowering the rod a bit.. my usual failing with slower glass and cane rods, is to push them hard which doesn't work.

The SFG isn't a slower rod. It's almost ridiculously fast for glass, which is probably why he liked it better with the heavier weight lines when lawn casting. As others have pointed ou,t though, water loading changes the whole feel.

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply