It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:45

New Topic Add Reply
Longer rods
Post 30 Nov 2021, 21:05 • #1 
Sport
What difference(s) should I expect in rods designed for the same line weight as the rods get longer?

Re: Longer rods
Post 30 Nov 2021, 22:56 • #2 
Heavier swing weight as the rods get longer.

Post 01 Dec 2021, 05:17 • #3 
Guide
For differences in length of 6" to 1ft, probably not a lot, certainly for a modern rod.

But greater than a foot of difference and I think it takes a really good blank-maker for the longer rod not to be significanlty more "floppy".

This is very noticeable with old rods, even from the same maker and vintage: I had an 8ft Hardy Fibalite 6-weight, and a 10ft 6" Invincible (rated 6-7 weight). With the identical line (a DT-6F), the 8 footer was (for the time) a crisp dry fly rod. And the Invincible was definitely soft/"through action".

Post 01 Dec 2021, 06:18 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
I believe there are too may variables (is it the same maker, same series within the same maker, same number of pieces, similar tapers, etc.) to have blanket expectations.

A couple of things you can be sure to expect...

...it will most likely come in a longer rod tube, be harder to fish in close quarters and you'll need a heavier reel to balance it at the same spot... ;)

Post 01 Dec 2021, 06:51 • #5 
Piscator
mine turn to S-glass and cane, then IM6 as they get longer.

Post 01 Dec 2021, 10:45 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
It used to be that longer rods tended to have a "wet fly" action - meaning slower progressive or parabolic actions with a deeper bend than shorter rods designed to have a dry fly action which have strong butts and fine tips. But there were also some shorter parabolic rods mostly in bamboo.

Today this has changed. Rods tend to be designed for specific applications. For example some very long rods designed for light nymphing have all the action in the tip to provide a maximum of sensitivity.

It's risky to generalise. There are many different design philosophies applied to both long and short rods. Basically any more or less flexible stick works as a rod. The discussion over what's best is of course infinite.....and it ties into the fishing style one wants to adopt.

When it comes to fishing abilities, longer rods tend to provide more line control and especially the ability to keep less line on the water which can be very useful to manage the drift - so easier and more efficient at getting fish hooked. Shorter rods, up to a point, tend to cast more comfortably and accurately and are lighter in hand. They are also usually an advantage in bringing a fish to hand once it has been hooked.

Post 01 Dec 2021, 15:03 • #7 
Guide
Very well said Giogio!!
I totally agree with you

Post 01 Dec 2021, 19:33 • #8 
Master Guide
For glass rods, I have found that beyond a certain point things change rapidly. For example, I have a 7’ 5wt rod that is pretty similar in handling to two other 5wt rods that are 7’9” and 8’. All are general purpose rods that have roughly similar swing weights and balance with similar-sized reels. They’re different, but not *that* different. My 8’9” rod, however, is a different animal - it’s big, heavy, and requires a big reel to balance.

Post 01 Dec 2021, 20:30 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
@giogio nailed it.

I fish glass rods from 6-12wts and 7.5' to 8.5' & far and away my favorite is my 7'9" Epic Bandit 10wt and I firmly believe....no, I know....that it has to do with it being shorter and having that "lighter in hand" feeling one gets when casting (has a lot to do with low swing weight). Honestly, I can't see any reason why I would ever get a glass rod longer than 8.5'. It's gotta really blow my socks off! All of my rods that are longer than that 8.5' are graphite....

I really like Ron's description of the progression from short to long...

New Topic Add Reply