It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:17

New Topic Add Reply
Post 21 Nov 2021, 16:40 • #1 
Sport
Managed to get my hands on a new SFG 7'6" 3wt. Wondering if anyone has a particular line preference for this rod for general purpose dry fly work on smaller water? Note: I have a couple of shorter 2wt & 3wt rods that I use for really tight mountain streams with lots of cover. I imagine using this rod for smaller river dry fly work where there's a little more room and the ability to cast up to about 35'.

So far, I've tried Orvis Hydros Superfine WF3 and Cortland Peach DT3, but its a bit breezy today and I've been unable to give each a fair shake. I've read that the 7'6" is more of a true 3WT whereas the Orvis SFG 7' 3wt (which I also have) does better with a 4wt. Given that the 7' is one of my up small water/tight quarters rod, I'm using Cortland Sylk 4DT to help it load with very little line out of the rod tip. Seems to work very well, though I've only lawn cast it.

Suggestions?

Post 22 Nov 2021, 08:01 • #2 
Sport
I run a Rio Gold WF 3# on my 7'6 SFG 3#, it in my hands is a good combination, and has really become the standard that I judge all fly rods with. It needs to be better than the SFG to stay in the collection.

I do like it with a furled leader when fishing the really small stuff. Just the little bit of extra mass in the leader when fishing exceptionally short lines. I do not feel I need the extra mass of a 4# when fishing a bit of a longer distance, the rod loads and casts great. It is very accurate for my style.

New Topic Add Reply