It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 04:47

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply
Post 15 Nov 2021, 21:40 • #26 
Master Guide
No while wading but I usually have 3 or 4 rigs in my vehicle.

In my drift boat I'm loaded for bear. 6 if there's 2 people sometimes up to 9 if there's 3. If I'm alone in the boat then just one with a single dry.

Post 17 Nov 2021, 18:53 • #27 
Guide
Usually no, but some of the lakes I fish have bluegills and crappies, and also big cats and/or carp, so once in a while I'll take a lighter and a heavier rod along. I usually have one or two in the truck anyway.

Post 18 Nov 2021, 06:44 • #28 
Glass Fanatic
I use to carry poly leaders and some homemade ones out of sinking lines I cut to different lengths but I like the teeny mini tip much more.......Aurelio

Post 18 Nov 2021, 23:28 • #29 
Guide
If I carry a second rod it will be a spinning rod with a popper that I can throw a lot further than a fly.

Post 20 Nov 2021, 23:47 • #30 
Guide
One rod at a time is all I can keep up with, especially climbing through the laurels. I do keep a backup in the truck tool box, just for that day I hope never comes...

Post 22 Nov 2021, 11:18 • #31 
Master Guide
I’ll take 2 rigged rods out in my kayak. In the salt estuaries I’ll have an 8wt with an intermediate line or sinking line and a 6wt w/ intermediate line and a smaller sand eel or flat wing style fly.
2 rods for fishing lakes and ponds out of the kayak too. A sink tip for streamers and floating for top water.
Wade fishing (river or salt) I only take one but will have a spare spool with a sinking line in the salt or on bigger rivers. I would like to take 2 rigged rods with me when wading the salt flats. Fast sinking for the deep channels and moving water and a lighter weight int for the shallow water flats.

Post 22 Nov 2021, 13:55 • #32 
Master Guide
No, not while stream fishing. Only when lake fishing from my boat or float tube, but not all the time. It doesnt bother to just use one rod and change lines if needed.

Post 23 Nov 2021, 11:49 • #33 
Glass Fanatic
I never take two rods rigged to fish. I always carry a spare 6 pc fly rod in my pack. Sometimes I may also carry a 6 pc spinning rod in my pack if I am hiking to lakes.

Post 23 Nov 2021, 12:56 • #34 
Guide
The only time I walk the river with more than 1 rod is when no one else is in sight and I find one by the side of the water … :(

Post 24 Nov 2021, 09:15 • #35 
Guide
I almost always take 2 rods on the river these days. First is a nymphing setup. Second is a dedicated dry fly. I will always run the line through the guides at the car on the nymph rod as I almost always start that way. with the dry fly rod, I put it together and add the reel but don't pull the line through. when I get to the water, I only end up rigging the dry fly rod up fully if I need it. I've found the joys of some smaller weight glass rods for dry fly fishing and you simply cant use a rod like that for nymphing too. I set the unused rod down on the bank when not in use. I tried rod holders to carry the fully rigged rod along with me, and its a nightmare. just asking for a broken rod. I have no issues walking back to the bank and grabbing rod 2 before moving down or upstream. Carrying two rods is easy too, both in one hand. toughest part is to keep the tips together while walking so that they dont catch on streamside brush.

Post 25 Nov 2021, 21:57 • #36 
Sport
No. I have enough trouble controlling one when I'm on the water.

Post 30 Nov 2021, 02:28 • #37 
Sport
Some authorities, like New Zealand's Fish and Game, only allow "one assembled rod and running line"

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply