It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:06

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 13 Nov 2021, 23:29 • #1 
Master Guide
Does anyone on the board go fishing with more than one rod - e.g. one rigged with a streamer, one with a dry, one with nymphs? I usually don’t, but I sometimes carry one rigged with for indicator nymphing and one rigged with a dry-dropper on the McCloud. I’ll fish a stretch with a dry dropper, then dredge it with the nymphs. Kind of anti-minimalist, but I don’t change flies a lot that way. Anyone else?

Last edited by motosacto on 15 Nov 2021, 23:22, edited 1 time in total.

Post 14 Nov 2021, 01:08 • #2 
Master Guide
I used to carry two rigged rods often, but I found that it messed up the flow of my fishing. For example, I would fish a 100 meter stretch of water and then have to backtrack to find the spot where I left the unused rod. The two rod theory sounds great when making plans the night before a trip, but it hasn’t been worthwhile for me in the field.

However, I will clarify that I rarely have the luxury of fishing a single dry fly, so the largest range I usually need to cover with one rod is streamer to dry dropper.

Post 14 Nov 2021, 06:15 • #3 
Guide
Yes... that's why they invented multi-piece rods and daypacks to hide one of them. Incidentally, one of my two rods is either much lighter or heavier than the other one.

Post 14 Nov 2021, 06:42 • #4 
Piscator
I always carry a back-up rod in the truck, so I can walk back and swap if needed, but two rods at the river is too many.
Busting brush, sometimes one seems like too many.

Post 14 Nov 2021, 07:23 • #5 
Guide
I often fish at a lake with a decent amount of open space for casting and take 2 (sometimes even 3) rods. I set up "camp" with a camp chair, water, thermos for coffee, snacks, and extra rod(s). (The chair is mostly for the rods, but i share it sometimes when the fishing is slow.) I carry the multiple rods for several reasons: 1. sometimes just to try something different, different rod, different line, etc. 2. i also like to tie on say a single dry on one and a dry/dropper or small streamer or just a different dry on another; dry fly fishing on big western lakes can come and go pretty fast like in an hour or so sometimes and i like to not spend much time tying on flies. And all that leads to reason no. 3. When i tangle a line on a perfect windless day completely without any logical excuse, i sometimes just put it down and go to rod no. 2.

I have never cared much for taking two rods on a stream; opportunities for losing and breaking them abound in that setting, at least for me.

Post 14 Nov 2021, 07:30 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
no but I usually carry 3 reels.

Post 14 Nov 2021, 07:40 • #7 
Sport
I usually fish from a boat. Often I’ll have 2 rods for different species. 8 wt for bass and 5 wt for panfish. If I’m pond hopping I take one.

Post 14 Nov 2021, 08:29 • #8 
Master Guide
I almost always have a spare in my pack sometimes 2 or three, they don't weigh much.

Post 14 Nov 2021, 08:35 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
I get in enough trouble with one - I do like the idea in theory though.

Post 14 Nov 2021, 10:07 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
That depends on where I'm fishing. I think it goes without saying that in a boat, things are different. But most of my trout fishing is hiking and most of it is on larger tailwaters. In which case, yes, I typically carry two nearly all of the time, a dedicated streamer rod and the other rod is either dry/dropper or some form of nymphing rod with the capability of tossing a small dry in case a hatch comes off. It's not much of a hinderance at all for that type of fishing. Now if I'm fishing smaller streams where there's a fair bit of brush busting there's no way I'm carrying more than one rod since it's both a recipe for disaster and simply not needed.

Post 14 Nov 2021, 10:08 • #11 
Guide
If I'm expecting an evening hatch sometimes I will have a rod rigged for euro-nymphing to fish with during the afternoon and a dry fly rod for when the hatch starts in the evening.

Post 14 Nov 2021, 10:39 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
Never. I cover way too much ground in rugged terrain to worry about a second rod. I'd probably put one down on the bank and forget about it until I was a half mile up the creek and have to return to get it. Not for me.

Post 14 Nov 2021, 10:46 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
When I used bait, two or three rods were the rule, they could fish by themselves, with a little help from a forked stick. So, that led to carrying a spin rod and the fly rod, which led to back tracking and fishing time lost. I learned to leave the spin rod in the car and eventually at home. Then I bought spare spools and sometimes carried three extra lines. Over the years I learned that by adapting my leader and techniques that nearly all my stream fishing for trout and bass could be done with a single floating line. I often load 3 or 6 rods and a dozen reels in the car and could go back to it and swap rigs, sometimes do in the trout park. But, one rod at a time on the stream or in the brush is two hands full.
Now in the trout park, I've watched hundreds of guys toting two or more rods and they never seem to catch any more fish than the guys with only one rod. I also have seen a number of rods abandoned there over the years. A couple months ago I came upon three rigged fly rods at the streams edge as I was walking out, at closing time. I'd bet those rods were picked up by maintenance workers or someone other than the former owner. In less used areas I've seen rods stay a few days before disappearing, always figure the owner was too far down the road to turn back when he missed a rod. My very first good spin rod disappeared when I was out of sight of it for ten minutes in 1965, on a stream where I was apparently the only angler. The lesson I learned is never lay a rod down and turn your back on it.
I did read about some folks using a hip carrier to hold an extra rigged rod behind their backs while wade fishing to eliminate the back tracking and reduce the chance of loss, but I've never seen that.

Now on those multi piece rods in the packs, are they lined and rigged?

Post 14 Nov 2021, 11:10 • #14 
Master Guide
I carry two if I’m fishing lakes around my house. I could get by with one but I like to fish my rods so I’ll take two to break up the monotony. Some times I can use a rest when chucking a 7WT or 8Wt so I’ll grab the crafted glass with a 4WT to give my shoulder a break. If I’m on a river or creek I take one rod but two reels.

Post 14 Nov 2021, 11:20 • #15 
Guide
Depends on how far I'm gonna be from the car. Def gonna be multiple rods taken on the trip but only on stream if I'll have to go back more than about 20min or some strenuous hiking, or I'm going to encounter very different types of water (backcountry stream to a lake for example, which would be a 1 or 2wt plus a longer 3/4). I used to occasionally carry 2 rigged but agree with previous comment about being unmanageable while fishing.

I built a 7pc 8' 3/4 partially for this scenario, that disappears in any pack and really will do most any job I need. Its 2 1/4 oz, and winds up with me a lot, although it's really only primary for alpine lakes where there's a long hike involved.

Post 14 Nov 2021, 12:28 • #16 
Guide
Some rivers , as a rule I carry 2 or 3 rods lined up. Usually a streamer rod and two rods for dries. Not minimalist at all as someone above said. If I'm blue lining or just out for the evening hatch, its one rod.

Post 14 Nov 2021, 13:19 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
Hellmtflies wrote:
Never. I cover way too much ground in rugged terrain to worry about a second rod. I'd probably put one down on the bank and forget about it until I was a half mile up the creek and have to return to get it. Not for me.

I participate on another fishing board with a "Lost & Found" page. Many times on that board folks post a "lost rod" entry...

...this explains it! ;)

Never for me too as I really don't mind the time spent changing flies.

First off, what's to say the nymph(s) tied on rod two or the dry fly tied on rod three at the time I tied them on, are the nymphs or dry flies I want to use at the time I decide to use rod two or three?

What happens then, do you grab rod four?

Besides, I have the time and I never really wanted my fly fishing experiences to resemble a bass fishing tournament. :)

Post 14 Nov 2021, 13:21 • #18 
Sport
A Tenkara rod is easy to carry and makes a good tight line type rod.

Post 14 Nov 2021, 14:57 • #19 
Glass Fanatic
I do in the winter. I don't cover the ground like I do in the other 3 seasons (too much snow). I have my fingers crossed that I encounter a midge hatch, but usually I am fishing a tandem nymph rig. Switching back and forth between a 9 ft nymph leader and a 12-15 foot #22 dry fly leader in weather either side of freezing isn't fun, so I have a 5/6 wt rigged for nymphing and 3/4 wt rigged for small dries.

Post 14 Nov 2021, 15:43 • #20 
Sport
2 rods while walking the river - no. Recipe for a disaster by me for sure.
90% of my trout fishing is done from a one man pontoon and for that the answer is yes. Always.

Post 14 Nov 2021, 22:28 • #21 
Master Guide
Like many have already mentioned, I will take 2 rods in my watercraft for lake fishing, but choose to just take a single rod along with a spare spool/reel or two if I really think I might want to change lines while stream fishing.

Although, there have been a few times that I've taken 2 rods on walk and wade fishing days, just because I felt like trying out another rod to compare the two. But then when I get really serious, I have find a "home base" to stash one of the rods (near where I'm soaking a couple of cold brews) and return later to fetch it for fishing.

All in all, too much trouble for me, so I just take 1 rod for stream day trips. However, if I start overnighting it on stream hikes again, I may be stashing a pack rod with even more sections in the pack.

Great discussion.

Post 15 Nov 2021, 07:17 • #22 
Glass Fanatic
Never but carry an extra reel sometimes loaded with a mini sink tip for streamers.........Aurelio

Post 15 Nov 2021, 12:50 • #23 
Glass Fanatic
not usually on a stream, always on a lake. One floating line, one intermediate or sinking or sinktip depending on the day.
I have a shoulder bag with a velcro loop on the shoulder strap and a loop on the bag for the rod butt. This makes it easy to carry the second rod. It doesn't work on streams though, between stumbling on rocks and walking through trees..

Post 15 Nov 2021, 15:51 • #24 
Guide
aurelio corso wrote:
Never but carry an extra reel sometimes loaded with a mini sink tip for streamers.........Aurelio

A leader wallet full of polyleaders is easier to carry.

Post 15 Nov 2021, 17:09 • #25 
Glass Fanatic
No - I like to walk far and by changing leader and eventually the line I can adapt sufficiently.

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply