It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 04:35

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply
Re: Spoon fed gills
Post 17 Nov 2021, 00:16 • #26 
Glass Fanatic
time to think about "artificial fingernail, epoxy, spoon flies".
Or redfish spoon flies again. I bough some acrylic nails to try this out, but they are still sitting in my fly tying supplies.

Post 17 Nov 2021, 07:20 • #27 
Master Guide
I also have a package or two of those fake nails sitting in the tying cabinet somewhere. After the embarrassment of buying them, I may have subconsciously decided I didn't want to have anything to do with them.

:lol

I can only imagine what it's like to cast a fly made with them... doesn't seem like it would be pleasant.

Post 17 Nov 2021, 18:07 • #28 
Sport
I’ve bought some spoonflies for redfish but they haven’t made it out of the box yet. Some people scoff at them but… fish in the boat is always better than no fish in the boat.

Post 19 Nov 2021, 11:03 • #29 
Glass Fanatic
I actually made a couple of the plastic nail flies ,i do not use them as spoons.Kind of designed them as a flatfish type bait and they swim well.I moved and no longer have a pool/fly/ lure testing facility and i did not get out enough to test many flies this year .I did find my stash of ice spoons.Some are very small,# 14 -16 hooks .

Post 20 Nov 2021, 22:21 • #30 
Guide
Thanks for the great post! My favorite spoon has always been one similar to the Dick Nite, called the Little Cleo Wigl-Lure. I think it was originally made by the Seneca Lure Co., now it is either made or at least carried by Acme. Great action, and available in small fly rod sizes. They used to be available with single hooks in the smaller sizes, now I have to just change from treble to single. Today's trivia, the old ones used to have a hula dancer on the concave side.

Post 20 Nov 2021, 22:38 • #31 
Master Guide
I had and may still have a Little Cleo Wigl-Lure or two around, complete with the hula dancer on the back. I never knew they made that one in tiny fly rod sizes!

Post 20 Nov 2021, 23:41 • #32 
Guide
I think the smallest that is currently available is 1/16 ounce. Alas, no longer adorned by the dancer. Still, pretty effective trolled behind the canoe or the jon boat. I use a foot-long or two foot section of sinking line with mono loops at each end, between the end of the fly line and the leader. Doesn't sink too fast for the speed of a canoe.

Post 23 Nov 2021, 16:36 • #33 
Sport
Sandman wrote:
Always wondered why they were originally called Fly-Rod Flatfish...I guess you could cast them with a fly rod...

Sandman

We were fish the Manistyque River in MI in the early days of the Coho and Chinook stocking. What we hadn't realized when we went was how many steelhead followed the salmon upstream. While we were all getting a few fish a friend put on a small flyrod orange flatfish and the steels loved it. He was hooking 2 or 3 fish to our 1 until he broke off on a big King and nearly cried.

I used to fish the Baptism River and other north shore streams in MN with a small Swedish Pimple. Maybe not fly
rodding except doing it with my Fenwick and flipping little more than leader length into small pocket water. Brookies loved it.

Post 29 Nov 2021, 17:30 • #34 
Master Guide
Just picked up two 1/32 triple teazers to throw around the bass pond when nothing else is working … any recommmedations on line and leader size? Would a 5wt be possible?

Post 29 Nov 2021, 20:47 • #35 
Glass Fanatic
I know one thing for sure,no way i am throwing anything with a treble hook on a flyrod.

Post 05 Dec 2021, 16:58 • #36 
Master Guide
Ok happy to report my 5wt Red Truck Diesel was able to throw those 1/32 triple teazers like a boss today. The trout and char loved them. Ended up catching 5 fish and two were PBs, I’m sold!

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply