It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 08:51

Previous  1, 2, 3  Next New Topic Add Reply
Re: The Tackle Minimal
Post 09 Nov 2021, 18:37 • #26 
Master Guide
For bluegills I don’t carry hemostats, just nippers on a neck cord and one of those yellow plastic disgorgers with the plastic pocket clip, a spool of 5X, and a few flies. On rare occasions when I can fish tiny flies, I’ll add 7X, a small C&F box with pre-loaded threaders, and a pair of micro-hemostats.

Post 09 Nov 2021, 19:48 • #27 
Glass Fanatic
jhuskey wrote:
For reference, the toothy critters forceps (hemostats actually I think) - they don't wade or walk the banks, but normally live on the boat.

I'm going down to the basement after work here, to put a float on my boat forceps like that one ;-) nice.
My forceps are tied to the bag with 2ft of thin nylon cord. I don't need them often but they are sometimes the difference between unhooking the fish or killing the fish, so always carry them.

For bass, carp, walleye I can usually keep it down to one box plus forceps etc in a small shoulder bag.
Trout in the mountains, a LL Bean chest pack, one fly box, floatant, leader, Hardy scissor/pliers, Loon putty for strike indicators (my old eyes don't see much below #4 dry flies anymore ;-)
Trout on the tailwaters, maximal fly, every fly box I have and leader down to 6x mono and fluoro, in a Fishpond Guide bag. I struggle to catch fish on the tailwaters, having a lot of different flies to try at least gives me something to do and a repeated moment's hope..

Post 09 Nov 2021, 19:58 • #28 
Master Guide
That's the way I fish for panfish.

One small fly box in one shirt pocket, a tippet spool and spare leader in the other, and a small pair of hemostats clamped on the pocket flap.

Wading wet is often part of the outing...

Post 09 Nov 2021, 23:33 • #29 
Master Guide
I’m envious of you guys living the minimalist lifestyle, but I’ve become one of those damn backpack guys, mostly as a result of my preference for streamer fishing. It’s tough to fit many 4-6” streamers in those hockey puck containers.

I’m often hiking several miles during my fishing days, and the weight distribution of a backpack is much better than any sling, chest, or hip pack I’ve found. Simms in particular has some nice backpack options that are outfitted for fishing.

My question for the minimalists: how do you carry your water bottle and, perhaps more importantly, beer for the midday stream side lunch break?

Post 10 Nov 2021, 06:24 • #30 
Glass Fanatic
It's funny, if I am wading or walking along the bank, I have never carried water or beer with me in my life because of the weight so figuring out a way to carry it has never been an issue. I hydrate before & after.

I discovered a long time ago when I was a kid playing with my uncle's old Army canteen that if I have water with me, I drink it. If I don't, I don't think about it so I'm not one of those people you see with a water bottle in tow all the time.

Funny thing is, only three times (and I remember each one distinctly) in my entire life did I get thirsty enough to need a drink requiring me to walk back to the car. Coincidentally, each incident came after a lunch consisting of a sandwich with lunch meat...

So I don't eat lunch either... :)

Post 10 Nov 2021, 07:16 • #31 
Sport
The ability to carry water with me is the most important aspect of my "gear carrier", and I have not found a solution that I am completely happy with.

I dehydrate very quickly, and ideally my gear carrier would include an option for a water bladder. If I am however carrying the weight of a hydration bladder in a pack, I would want it to sit on my hips so my shoulder and back do not get tired carrying that weight.

All of those solutions invite carrying everything but the kitchen sink, and I would really rather be a minimalist. I have tried a few solutions, none of them to my liking, and keep coming back to a sling pack. It is not enough water, but it keeps my weight down which does not bother my back, and keeps my gear to almost a minimum.

Maybe I need one of those fancy filter water bottles

Post 10 Nov 2021, 08:22 • #32 
Glass Fanatic
El Duderino wrote:

My question for the minimalists: how do you carry your water bottle and, perhaps more importantly, beer for the midday stream side lunch break?

backpack. lol. I do try to squeeze everything into a smaller one though. But, I also don't consider myself a minimalist....

for trout, half my boxes are streamer boxes. but yeah, I like my beer and a sling just doesn't cut it. one of my buddies takes a backpack plus a chest pack.

Post 10 Nov 2021, 08:26 • #33 
Master Guide
Sometimes I toss a small water into the large back pocket of my vest but mostly by the time I get to my spot I’m draining water not drinking it. Don’t call it wet wading for nothing

Post 10 Nov 2021, 09:00 • #34 
Master Guide
When Im hiking in for a full day I carry a small day pack with food, a rain jacket (no matter the forecast), headlamp, and a sterilizer light. I carry a half liter Nalgene and UV sterilize water as needed. there is always plenty of water around, no need to carry it. yet again, I rely on a small day pack to limit me from carrying too much stuff.

if Im just going up the creek for an hour or two, obviously that stuff isnt needed.

for anyone why hasnt tried it out yet - the sterilizer lights are awesome. they weigh 4-8oz, most will sterilize a few hundred liters on fresh batteries, they are way less work than a hand pump. mine is specified to work with a nalgene, so I carry the half liter Nalgene. they work well in clear flowing water, aka, most trout streams. I think mine was about $60. Id recommend carrying extra batteries if you are going to be gone for more than a day though. if you really want more water for a long hike out or something, Ive been known to carry smart water bottles which weigh about an ounce empty and are a good bit tougher than a standard issue "deer park" type water bottle. I dont really trust bladders. They are hard to clean, they encourage you to drink when you dont need to, I saw several bust in my scouting days (normally wetting down someone's sleeping gear and leaving them without water to cook dinner). perhaps they are better now, but a real hard sided bottle is my steadfast preference.

Post 10 Nov 2021, 09:11 • #35 
Glass Fanatic
I think one large rucksack is more minimalist than several groups of small organizers, one is less than two or more. I know it means minimal prep time, minimum planing, minimum wondering if I left something behind and minimum why didn't I bring that; as it's just grab and go. (I have tried both ways)
What I discovered long ago is that any thing not in the big bag is soon lost, so it might as be thrown away instead of "organized" in some other location and "saved" for that special day or special place.

But, a question comes to mind, if one can go fishing for a day or a week with only a spool of tippet and 3 flies, then that is all that person should keep, all those things at home or in the car are waste, aren't they?

Post 10 Nov 2021, 09:13 • #36 
Glass Fanatic
El Duderino wrote:

That’s what keeps me from being a good minimalist. If I were just out for an hour or less, I’d be able to wet wade with just a lanyard and pockets. But I’m usually away from the car all day (actually, these days, 8 hours seems like a long day) and wet wading has a waist pack with two water bottle holsters. And a pack compartment that gets some food. And gee, there’s room for another box. May as well take a spare leader or three, etc.

Post 10 Nov 2021, 09:29 • #37 
Glass Fanatic
An axiom of accomplishment, not just in fishing, is that if you become preoccupied with what you don't have, you will never make best use of what you do have. Learning to fish, like learning to do most things, is about doing more with less, working smarter, not harder.

Hahaha! That is easy to say. There is another law of the universe at play, probably experienced by others about the way it is for me. If I take the minimum, leaving something I "don't really need," that is exactly the item I need for the first time in the last decade. If I take about everything in case I need it, I don't need any of it, or if I do need something, I can't find it. And realize, that what you don't have and need the one day, you can get and have with you the next day, when it won't be needed anyhow.

These days, the best thing is to take a young guy with me and tell him all the stuff he needs and let him lug it. He can even go back to the car and find what I want in one of the sacks in there. Sometimes I don't put much in my vest, but that doesn't mean it isn't in the car.

Post 10 Nov 2021, 11:17 • #38 
Glass Fanatic
I'm not a minimalist when it comes to day-hiking; for trout trips I carry a net, and for a while looked around at different packs, but settled on the Osprey Talon 33. I can also fit water shoes or a larger net in the back pocket -- normally I just carry a small Measure Net in the main compartment. A 3L hydration reservoir fits in between the harness and the main compartment. I carry food, extra clothes, an MSR trailshot filter (mostly just on hot days and/or long hikes), protein shakes, all the fly boxes I want, a rod and reel or two, headlamp, a bit of first aid, etc.

If I am carrying a packraft, then I upsize the pack to 44-45L and also carry paddling pants, 4-piece paddle, patch kit, and something small and light for gear on the water, like an REI Flash 18.

Over time you learn what you need and what you don't, and tinker with different ways of doing things. How does the old saying go -

"Good judgment comes from experience,
Experience comes from bad judgment."

:)

Post 10 Nov 2021, 11:33 • #39 
Master Guide
El Duderino wrote:

If I'm going to be away long enough to need water, I'll wear a small daypack or sling. Camelbak makes some really nice water bladders with backpack straps that can also carry various amounts of gear. These are perfect for minimalist hot weather outings! I have their "MULE" but they have some more streamlined models.

Post 10 Nov 2021, 11:58 • #40 
Sport
El Duderino wrote:

Get a good sturdy belt and carry heavy stuff like a water bottle on it.
Let’s Rethink the Wading Belt (https://troutbitten.com/2019/05/01/lets ... ding-belt/)

You can get soft water bottles with built in filters too like the KATADYN BEFREE

Post 10 Nov 2021, 13:11 • #41 
Guide
I bring very little with me, only one fly box, a net, hemostats, an extra leader, and a stripping basket ( basically a necessity due to jetties). The back up rod stays in the car, and I use the same 7 wt for almost everything right now.

Post 10 Nov 2021, 14:23 • #42 
Glass Fanatic
Any good belt requires braces to keep it from becoming hobbles, so the belt load ends up where loads are meant to be carried, on the shoulders. But braces aren't usually as comfortable as the shoulder straps of a pack. The pack can also be shrugged off instantly and dropped beside the stream, allowing deep wading or an unencumbered nap.

Post 10 Nov 2021, 14:54 • #43 
Glass Fanatic
I don't wear chest waders but do use a duty belt with a PALS sleeve over it to attach MOLLE pouches when I am not going super minimalist. This or something similar has been my system for carrying gear since I ditched my vest back in the early 90's.

That being said, I REALLY like the Blade Tech Ultimate Carry Belt because it utilizes a ratcheting buckle that provides instant adjustment versus a Cobra buckle that is found on most other duty belts. A belt with a Cobra buckle has to be adjusted like any other web belt meaning you have to take it off making it a hassle to adjust on the fly.

Besides the gazillion MOLLE pouches options out there that I can use to stow gear with my set up, when I want to wade deep I just loosen the Blade Tech buckle without taking the belt off, slide it up to my chest and re-tighten it. I also can move the load from my waist to my hips or anywhere else for comfort in a flash with this belt and my PALS sleeve for the belt has attachment points for suspenders IF I ever feel I need to go that route.

It is a great system, not something that is fly-fishing specific so there are way more options (and it won't disappear in a few years) and it is modular which means I can add or subtract what I want, IF I want.

Post 10 Nov 2021, 16:03 • #44 
Glass Fanatic
I carry a lot of stuff......Aurelio

Post 10 Nov 2021, 17:06 • #45 
Glass Fanatic
Me too - Vest has everything in it including water, boiled eggs, apple or banana, spare reel or spool, landing net...
But use cheap lightweight boots and hip waders.
Just too lazy to pare things down. Carrying a bit of weight is good exercise anyhow.

Post 10 Nov 2021, 17:12 • #46 
Glass Fanatic
I aspire to be minimalist, usually without success.

Post 10 Nov 2021, 19:27 • #47 
Glass Fanatic
Great idea John.I hav so many small forceps etc.My BIL works at a hospital and they only use those instruments so many times.I lose pliers on a regular basis.Don't fly fish exclusively and pliers are needed often.They get lost more often than overboard .Just lost a nice pair of SS spring loaded pliers.I am truly my own worst enemy.

Post 10 Nov 2021, 21:00 • #48 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks the hersh - mine have gone overboard only once, but the small doggie tennis ball sized corks/leather shoestrings tend to snag something before they do - good and bad but hey, still have them. My Mother-In-Law was head of sterilization at a hospital, so we have some medical instruments here and there.

Post 10 Nov 2021, 21:09 • #49 
Guide
brockton wrote:
I aspire to be minimalist, usually without success.

Then redefine minimalist to meet your abilities!

Post 10 Nov 2021, 21:55 • #50 
Glass Fanatic
aurelio corso wrote:
I carry a lot of stuff......Aurelio

:like this guy! he knows what's up! :lol

edit: I'm sorry to offend, but it cracks me up how serious we all are about something like this...

Previous  1, 2, 3  Next New Topic Add Reply