It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 14:11

New Topic Add Reply
Post 05 Nov 2021, 18:56 • #1 
Sport
I just purchased a really nice Scott F Series 6'6" 3wt and I'm trying to find the right line.

Recognizing that this rod is really designed/optimized for up close small creek fishing and given that I have other rods that are faster Orvis SFG 7' 3wt and others that have a little more "oomph", TFO Finesse Glass 3/4...I'd like this one to be my fiberglass partner to my 2wt Sage Dart and will typically be a dry fly or small hopper rod only. As such, I need it to be accurate up close...form loops up close, roll cast in tight quarters, and load with very little line outside the rod tip. More than anything, I need tight loops and accuracy because these creeks provide little opportunity for much other than roll casting or perhaps a water load upstream cast. Presentation is certainly important on these little streams but it doesn't matter if I'm hung up in the trees and willows all the time!

So far I've tried it with Orvis Hydros Superfine 3WF, SA Smooth Infiniti 3WF (really 3.5), and Cortland 444 SYLK 4DT. I'm not sold on any of these. I was thinking of trying 406 lines, but they're sold out of 3wt. Also considering Cortland 444 Peach because of the short head...thinking the majority of the mass up front will help it load with little line out of the tip. But, I've also read that DT is better for roll casting. And, I know a lot of people like Cortland Peach DT.

Does anyone have any personal experience with this rod and recommendations for a line that hits the mark for you?

Post 05 Nov 2021, 19:39 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Let me say up front that I mean no disrespect to any modern glass rod maker - Pretty much every 3 weight rod I have owned, performs better with a 4 weight line.... but I tend to fish relatively close on small streams or ponds. YMMV of course.

Post 05 Nov 2021, 19:54 • #3 
Sport
I had the FS 663. Performed very nicely with a Rio Gold 3wt. Sweet set-up. Still scratching my head trying to figure out why I sold it.

Post 05 Nov 2021, 20:06 • #4 
Master Guide
I like my rio creek 3wt wf. Its more of a 3.5 If I had to guess. It casts well on my superfine glass 2wt as well as my douglas 733 3 weight. Its perfect for the douglas but might overload the SFG with more than 20' out. With the douglas it will let me cast big foam hoppers with heavy droppers but is still workable with small dries. It roll casts well on both rods. It has a heavy head and loads either rod with only a foot or two of line out.

Id recommend it.

Post 07 Nov 2021, 21:33 • #5 
Guide
Rio Lightline is a true 3wt line that has a quick front taper that is great for loading the rod when fishing tight quarters, yet versatile enough to throw long when you need it.

Post 07 Nov 2021, 22:20 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
One note as you look. Generally a DT line is better for roll casting IF you have more than about 30 ft of line out. If you are using a WF line and do not have enough line out to get into the rear taper or running line, you should notice little difference. You mention that you will be fishing in tight quarters with short casts and roll casts which should make casting with either a DT or a WF line about the same. In fact some of the WF lines have shorter front tapers than some DT lines making them turn over better in those conditions.

I looked at the line weights and tapers of some of the lines mentioned. As Big Heavy points out, the Rio Lightline 3 wt is true to AFTMA weights of 100 gr for the first 30 ft. However, the first 30 ft of the Rio Creek "3 wt" weighs 120 gr, which is the AFTMA standard for a 4 wt line. The Rio Gold mentioned weighs 106 gr for the first 30ft which is right at the upper limit of a 3 wt in AFTMA standards. These numbers are worth looking at as you decide what you want to do.

My own rule is that I only buy lines properly labeled to AFTMA standards...but, I am happy to use heavier or lighter line weights on a particular rod, depending on the stream conditions in which I will be fishing. For small streams, short casting, and tight quarters where it will be unlikely that I will have 30 ft of line in the air, I will use a heavier line. The other thing I look at is the front taper of the line. A long, slow, front taper will present very well but it does not turn over as well as a line with a shorter front taper, which I find helpful in tight quarters.

From your comments, it is clear that you are thinking through these considerations. In your shoes, I'd look for a true-to-weight line in 3wt or 4wt (inclined toward the 4 wt) that has a short front taper. Good luck as you proceed and it looks like there is some great advice here from people familiar with that rod.

Post 08 Nov 2021, 06:09 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
The Scott rod is a true 3wt and really doesn't need any trickery in fly lines to load.

As I have said many times on FFR, I prefer standard taper DT's and for in-close fishing, I want the shortest SINGLE front taper, true to weight line I can find 'cause for me, they always load with the least amount of line out and perform admirably in every other situation. I also like lines that are the same color & taper on both ends with loops.

I fished a friends Scott F Series 6'6" 3wt with a 406 and my personal choice for just about everything I own, the Sci Anglers Mastery DT.

As usual, I preferred the Sci Anglers Mastery DT.

Also, if you want good in-close loading, don't forget to lose the long leader and try something from 5-7 foot long.

Enjoy!

Post 08 Nov 2021, 14:35 • #8 
Master Guide
Im with Bamboozle on leader length. I seldom fish anything other than a 7'5x for small creeks trout or bluegills. For warmwater fish I even go shorter. Ive found that I can easily turn over a 7-7.5ft leader on the sfg2 with the rio creek 3. Then again, seeing as its actually a 4wt apparently, one would hope it would turn over..

Post 09 Nov 2021, 22:04 • #9 
Sport
So I bought a Cortland 444 Classic Peach DT3. Added a 7.5’ 4x leader cut back to about 4-5’ with about 18-24” of 5x tippet and a piece of mop fly chenille.

Did very well with very little line out at 10-15’. Casts beautifully from 15-25’…roll casts just as well. The wheels start to come off at 35’, but that’s not what it is designed for so I’m not worried about it. First time to try Classic Peach and I kinda understand why so many folks like it on bamboo and other slower rods.

Would be interested to know if a short furled leader would take those short casts to the next level?

Post 10 Nov 2021, 06:36 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
I use 3 foot THREAD furled leaders with about 2-3 feet of tippet material for all of my short fishing and have been doing so for decades since I first had a friend twist me up some "three footers" as an experiment.

Before that I knotted my own 6 foot leaders because a store bought 7-1/2 leader was too long and ended up getting longer as the day went on. They worked just fine however, the other reason I like furled thread leaders for this kind of fishing is because I can grease them to float. That helps with pick-up which is a huge plus on the more plentiful riffles I find on small streams.

Post 10 Nov 2021, 07:07 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
To "take those short casts to the next level" I'd try a 4wt line on it. :)

Post 18 Nov 2021, 07:10 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
I have a F2 653 and have cast the F both solid 3wts.I use a SA mastery series trout DT 3 with a 3’ threaded furled leader and 4 or 5’ of tippet.You really don’t feel it load the rod with a couple feet of line off the tip but it does form tight loops is accurate and the rod is a great roll caster.If you need to feel it load a little more Rio gold 3 performs good........Aurelio

Post 20 Nov 2021, 12:37 • #13 
Sport
I have caught 1” fry on this rod and 8” mountain brookies. Great rod that I can’t talk myself in to selling. Never tried it with a 4wt but plan to next spring in hopes of it being an even more versatile pack rod. I use 2 7/8 perfect and 2 7/8 and 2 5/8 uniquas on rods of this length and weight. Always switching up 3wt lines.

I prefer this configuration to the FS583 which I will be looking to sell in the near future, purely out of redundancy.

Post 07 Jul 2023, 11:57 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
I think the new FS663 is slightly more versatile than the F2 and is delightful with a 4 line as well.

Post 08 Jul 2023, 20:16 • #15 
Sport
Owning and fishing the rod for the past several years, I primarily use a Cortland peach dt3 and a Scientific Angler's Mastery dt3. Both lines perform well with the rod. However, I have not found any major performance variability based on the manufacturer of the line that was being used. Going up or down a line weight is possible with this rod.

New Topic Add Reply