It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 06:59

New Topic Add Reply
Post 05 Nov 2021, 15:04 • #1 
Guide
Hi Folks,
After reviewing a few years of fishiing notes I use a 5 wt more than anything else. I lack a dedicated 5 wt glass rod and these 2 are my top contenders based on prior experience with these makers.
I'd appreciate your thoughts on the 8' 4/5 Steffen and the 8'3" 5 wt Kenney, either alone or in comparison - particularly interested in on stream viewpoint -how do they fish. I think either would serve my purposes for medium size dry flies, soft hackles, and nymphs at reasonable trout distances (all-around rod if you will).
Feel free to PM me if you'd like.
Thanks

Post 05 Nov 2021, 15:32 • #2 
Master Guide
Hello, you can’t go wrong with either rod. My vote would be for the Kenney. It’s a wonderful medium action rod that is very smooth with the power for reach out to 50-60 ft. but still delicate enough to make short casts. The extra 3 inches will help with mends/ drifts when fishing nymphs, dry/ dropper and wets. Its lots of fun for small to medium size fish with the power to handle large trout and bass. The Kenney is an excellent all around rod for what you want.

Post 05 Nov 2021, 17:51 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
As above, the Kenny is top shelf and does a lot of things extremely well. I've had mine for a few years now and glad I did. Excellent dry fly or nymph rod. Sensitive yet powerful when needed. You won't go wrong here. And, if for some strange reason it doesn't fit your needs or meets you satisfaction you can sell it on the second market in a minute. There is a ton demand for this rod. That alone should speak to you. :)

Post 05 Nov 2021, 18:08 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
I've owned both and still own a Steffen 8' 4/5 and the 5/6 too. The Kenney is e-glass and 3" longer and is noticeably heavier in hand and swing weight. It's a bit more powerful than the Steffen 8' 4/5. The Steffen is s-glass and a 4/5 which a half line weight lighter than the Kenney. I think the 4/5 rating on the Steffen is right on the money - I fish it with a heavy 4wt or light 5wt. The Steffen 8' 5/6 is a closer comparison to the Kenney, IMO. It's slightly stronger than the Kenney and still lighter in hand and casting than the Kenney. For me and my casting style, I prefer both Steffens to the Kenney but you might feel exactly the opposite - everyone has different preferences. I love L. Kenney's building style and cosmetics - they are high quality rods and they reflect his great knowledge and experience as a designer/builder. And they will likely hold their value better than a Steffen built by an unknown builder. I prefer the screw locking reel seats that L. Kenney uses rather than his cork/slide band seats. His cork/slide band seats tend to be very tight and require a reel with a skinny foot.

Post 05 Nov 2021, 22:25 • #5 
Master Guide
I prefer the kenney. It's an excellent rod.

Either will be an excellent rod. I've never cast a steffen or kenney I didn't like.

Post 06 Nov 2021, 03:51 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Kenney is a powerful rod with a medium progressive action. Can only say good things about it. Highly recommended.

Post 06 Nov 2021, 08:09 • #7 
Guide
Thanks for the replies. I will be building this rod up from blanks. As I understand it Mr. Kenney supplies guide spacing with his blanks.
Appreciate it.

Post 06 Nov 2021, 09:34 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
I have a 8’3” 5wt rod built on a current Kenney blank by a gifted and experienced member here. It’s a splendid rod, with a down locking seat and full wells, which seems a really nice setup for the blank. As others have suggested, it’s a great choice for an all-around 5wt. I think it’s a terrific option for subsurface presentations as it mends well, and not just because of the additional three inches, but it’s also a great dry fly rod.

I’ve not fished a corresponding Steffen. I do have a Steffen 8’ 3/4 wt. in 5 piece that’s a wonderful rod (I fish it as a 4, although it’s still good with a 3 or 5), and I’m sure a Steffen blank would also please you greatly. I’d look at at the additional length of the Kenney as a plus, although I note that Steffen comes in a 8’6” 5/6 blank that might be worth a little research, depending on how you feel about eventually preferring a 6 (seems some like a DT5). I’d fully expect the Kenney to be considered a “true 5wt.”

Post 06 Nov 2021, 09:42 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
I’d fully expect the Kenney to be considered a “true 5wt."

Yes, agree that the Kenney is a "true" 5wt.. I fish the Steffen 8' 5/6 with a heavy 5wt line. To me it's a 5.5wt rod and can be fished with a 6wt if you want a bit slower action or a "normal" 5wt line if you prefer a faster action.

Post 06 Nov 2021, 09:55 • #10 
Guide
Of the Steffen and Kenney rods mentioned, both are well regarded tapers but you may also want to consider a ********* rod as well. I think he has 3 different 5 wt tapers, that are all just was well regarded. There are plenty of options from other rod makers as well that frequent this forum and at least in my experience, good guys who will chat it up with you to get to the right rod for you. Hope you enjoy your new future 5wt!

Post 06 Nov 2021, 10:16 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
Be sure to post photos of your finished rod!

Post 06 Nov 2021, 11:37 • #12 
Master Guide
the steffen 4/5 is a very versitle fly rod. it does not care what line you use. i have fished it with $12 line and with 406 line. WF and DT. Not being a fussy rod about lines means i can pick the best line for the type of fishing or what the weather will be like today. i will often start with 4 wt early casting #22 tricos for the hatch and when the wind picks up after lunch in the canyon i just grab the reel with 5WF and use light streamers or a nymph rig. the 8' 4/5 is very accurate on long and short casts and just an all around great rod. it allows me to concentrate on the fish and not my gear and sometimes i am very surprised to see that my fly has landed exactly where i envisioned it to be and all i had to do is think about it. Most of my other fly rods won't cast so many different lines, in fact most of the others are very particular about the line i use on them.

Post 20 Nov 2021, 12:30 • #13 
Sport
I love this model Kenney rod. Smooth operator. And it comes alive with ANY size fish on. Very accurate even in wind.

All of that aside, LK is a living legend.

Post 21 Nov 2021, 17:46 • #14 
Master Guide
I have two of the 8’ 4/5wt Steffens (different configurations; one for home, one for travel) and also the Kenney 835.

For all-around you can’t go wrong with either. Out of all my rods, these are my two favorite all-arounders in a 5wt. If I could only keep 2 5wts it would be these. Agree with all of the insightful comments above.

My best advice is to change your question to “which one should I build first?”…

And then in the meantime, save your dimes until you can afford to build the other one as well.

When I built my Kinney, I followed his specific instructions to the letter and it turned out beautifully- both functionally and aesthetically.

Regarding lines, everyone’s preference and opinion is valid and different based on their casting style and preferences - so for what it’s worth, here are some specifics you may/may not be interested in. I like the Kinney best with a textured Scientific Anglers WF5 line (such as a MTX GPX WF5). When I emailed Mr Kinney this is the style of line he preferred (although many lines work great on this rod).

For the Steffens, I feel like they load just a little better with a DT5 (such as a Cortland peach DT5 or SA Frequency Trout DT) when making longer casts - although the Steffens like a WF5 line just fine as well. YMMV…

I also have a ********* 5wt on the building table as well which I’m really excited about.

Post 24 Nov 2021, 06:50 • #15 
Sport
That 8’9” 5wt ********* is a real fishing weapon. A pleasure to cast, great length, and very responsive. A recent acquisition for me that visited the Neversink Gorge this fall. Dries and nymphs, dries and nymphs...

New Topic Add Reply