It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 13:52

New Topic Add Reply
Post 03 Nov 2021, 13:33 • #1 
Sport
Hi all,

I've recently made two new purchases in the glass realm and I'm looking for suggestions for pairing a reel with these particular rods. Because I'm one of those guys who likes a rod to be balanced in the cork, it would be awfully valuable to have the weight of your reel if its not one in current production that I can't look up online.

The first rod is a Barclay 5wt 7'10". I've read the other thread about the Barclay but didn't get very far into suggestions that can be found these days. The rod is much more tip heavy than I expected and the reels I anticipated pairing it with are simply too light. In an effort to find something that balanced it, I used a Galvan Rush Lt 6 with WF7 bass line and backing just to get the approximate weight. That's a 5.5 oz reel plus line and backing! Of course it's also a 3.75" diameter reel and way too big for the diminutive grip on the Barclay. But, it was as close as I could come to a balanced rig. I don't have the funds for a 3 1/8 Hardy Perfect or Kineya which had been suggested, but I could probably pull off a Leland Vintage or Classic...coming in at 5.8oz and 3.5" and 4.9oz and 2.9" respectively. That said, my Galvan Torque 5 (4.8oz) fully loaded with line was also too light. Lastly, my Galvan reels are not a good fit on the reel seat but my Hardy's are. I'd like to stick with something that is no larger than 3.5" diameter and is on the higher side of 5 oz. I've seen a used Cascapedia but at 6.3 oz in may be too much. Any other thoughts/suggestions?

The second rod is a new Scott F Series 663-4. I have three unused reels at the moment that might work. A burnt orange Galvan Torque 3 (which I think would look awesome), a silver Galvan Brookie 3/4 and a Hardy Featherweight. I'd be curious to know what people are using on the 663...given the overall rod weight and short length, I'm guessing it is going to be a very light reel. Please advise.

Post 03 Nov 2021, 14:22 • #2 
Guide
Nice grabs on the 2 rods...

FWIW -- I've enjoyed Chris's 7105 for about 5 years now. At first I wanted to balance it as you desire so I used a Hardy Marquis 8/9 with a 5 wt DT line. That combination is balanced. After a while I started using different lines that were already spooled on lighter reels, like a newer Hardy FWDD 4/5/6, and learned that even though the rod-reel was "balanced" as I wanted with the heavier reel, I enjoyed fishing (and casting feel) more with a lighter reel. Since then I have been much less concerned with the balance point for the reel/rod combinations I use. (it also helps me stay sane and just get on the water.)

I'm sure others will chime in about swing weight and other facets of the balance topic that may help your calculus.

Enjoy the rod - it is a fun one.

Post 03 Nov 2021, 15:29 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
As suggested above, balance can be very personal and to a degree, somewhat flexible. I have the 710 and can use a Daiwa 706 on it very comfortably. I can almost “balance” it with a Gunnison G2. I also have his 82 and “balance” it with the same G2 but with a second spool to which I added a little lead wire before adding the backing. So, do you have any reels that almost “balance” it to your satisfaction? If so, maybe a second spool with some lead wire would work. That way, you don’t have a reel that only works with one rod and a second spool should be cheaper than a new reel.

As for the Scott, I have a number of shorter, lightweight rods and almost exclusively use the original Ross Colorado 1 and clones of the Hardy Featherweight, i.e. Heddon 300/310, Berkley 530/540, Daiwa 700/710. Always seem to be available on the big auction site.

Post 03 Nov 2021, 16:54 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
I can't see putting anything very heavy on a 7'10" 5wt - but balance is a matter of personal taste. I also don't like large diameter reels - for the same reason that folks went to the trouble of developing center axis outfits. The suggestion of using lead wire (or lead sheet if you can find it wrapped around the arbor to ballast a light reel is one I second - it gives you a chance to have second thoughts and adjust the weight.

The hardy Prince 5/6 or the Golden Prince 5/6 is a very nice reel. So is the hardy LRH, or the JLH 6.

Post 03 Nov 2021, 19:39 • #5 
Guide
Abel TR2, Douglas Argus 3", Orvis CFO Iii, or Hardy LRH on the 7105. Old school Ross Evolution 0 or 1 for the Scott 663.

I too have gravitated towards lighter reels regardless of perfect balance in the traditional sense.

Post 03 Nov 2021, 20:14 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
I had the Barclay 7105 - I used two reels, a Hardy Golden LRH and a Leland Classic Spring Creek. The Hardy will cost you more, you may be able to still find the Leland reel on closeout somewhere. A FWIW on the Leland, the reel foot is tall-thick whatever you want to call it. Depending on the Barclay seat/foot, it may be necessary to thin the foot of the reel. If that is the direction you take, let me know as I have done it and can help you if needed.

Edit - I used the Golden LRH as it had brass reel foot and weight was a bit more than a standard LRH - also my Barclay hardware matched up with it better.

Post 04 Nov 2021, 06:04 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
The Galvan T series reels are great reels - I have 3, one a T-4 in burnt orange. I'm sure your T-3 would look great on the orange Scott. Maybe a little heavy, but maybe not - you'd have to try it and see. But, with its excellent drag, it's more reel than you'd really need on a 6'6" rod. Small trout won't be running the drag :) On the other hand, if you plan to fish for large carp in a small stream it would be fine. As much as I like the Galvan T series, I dislike the Galvan Brookie because of the spool tensioner that has to set with an allen wrench and has no bias - outgoing tension always is equal to incoming. Your featherweight would be perfect for the Scott but too small (both in weight and line size) for the Barclay, IMO.

Post 04 Nov 2021, 07:25 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
It's easy to overthink static balance. Weight distrtbution and dynamic balance/feel are more important. If coming from graphite feel, an in-hand balance point invites overpowering and rushing the rod because fiberglass loads more gradually. The typical manufacturer-selected complete outfit of the fiberglass era would be slightly tip heavy in feel, and the term "balanced" was used to mean "well matched." Still plenty of range of "balance" choice by user, but worth using the search function here to think about some of the options.

Post 04 Nov 2021, 08:34 • #9 
Master Guide
Ask the maker what he prefers. I have noted that sometimes adding more weight to get a balance at the grip makes the rod rather a club. Of course your opinion my vary and you're the one that needs to be satisfied in the end.
I fish a lot of bamboo and its not that hard to adjust to a slightly tip heavy rod at all for me.

Post 04 Nov 2021, 08:52 • #10 
Guide
I used to think it mattered, then I realized it didn't. I learned at least for me, that I prefer light reels regardless of the balance point with no line out for a typical trout rod. It all changes when the line it out, drag on the line, overhang, etc...

Now if the conversation switches to long spey rods, and heavy lines then it matters.

Post 04 Nov 2021, 09:32 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
Quite a few reel weights in this- https://fiberglassflyrodders.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=52469

Thoughts on how get balance here- https://fiberglassflyrodders.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=54587 and here-
https://fiberglassflyrodders.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7232

Post 04 Nov 2021, 09:37 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
I have that rod and use a Ross G-1 or a Hardy LRH.

Post 04 Nov 2021, 10:02 • #13 
Guide
Dutchess 3 1/4"

Post 04 Nov 2021, 11:02 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
Scooter1942 wrote:
Hi all,

I've recently made two new purchases in the glass realm and I'm looking for suggestions for pairing a reel with these particular rods. Because I'm one of those guys who likes a rod to be balanced in the cork, it would be awfully valuable to have the weight of your reel if its not one in current production that I can't look up online...

Scooter:

Static balance is subjective but balanced "in the cork" suggests to me behind the winding check. That means more rod "out front" so a heavier reel than I would use is required since I like a static balance point AT the winding check.

If my assumption is correct, a Barclay 7'10" 5wt would balance for ME with the same reel I would use on an 8'0" 5wt. For you, that may mean the same reel I would use on a 8'6" 5wt. Like you discovered, that is a reel with a manufacturer's stated weight of around 5.5 ounces. Coincidentally, I have a 3-1/8" 2009 reissue Perfect at 5.42 oz hanging off the back of the only 8'6" 5wt I own.

If you need/want a smaller reel. Keep in mind that excluding wide spool reels, anything under 3" MAY have capacity issues if you are trying to spool up a 5wt, especially if you are considering double tapers.

I don't know how you feel about Medalists but this one, my fully pimped 1494 comes in around 5.5 ounces, it will hold a DT5 and with a OnePfoot reel foot, it fits on any reelseat I've tried it on:

I'm not up on modern reels except my older Ross & Abel's. One of the original (1990's - early 2000's version) Abel Super 4's would do nicely at 3-1/4" & 5.5 oz but I have no idea what they go for, IF you can find one. Short of that, adding weight to something smaller that holds a 5wt line may be your best option.

FWIW - The above suggested Duchess 4/5/6 @ 3-1/4" weighs in at 4oz, a bit lighter than you need however, it would be an ideal candidate for adding weight to because of its capacity.

As far as the Scott goes, I don't own a 6'6" 4wt Scott but based on my similar combos, I would probably be using something around 3.0 oz. To achieve YOUR balance point you may be looking for a reel with a stated weight of around 3.7 oz which is EXACTLY the stated weight of Hardy Featherweight. ;)

Good luck!!

Post 04 Nov 2021, 13:12 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
A nice click pawl reel with a thin foot that will fit a cap and ring is the Islander IR series. you'd have to find a used one though; production is on hold until the supply chain jam eases. perfect for glass 3-6 wt.

Post 04 Nov 2021, 13:16 • #16 
Master Guide
My orvis battenkill 1 loaded with backing and line weighs 3.7oz. It balances my sfg 662-3 perfectly.

I have a martin tuna can packed full with backing and a wf4 that tips the scales at 5.0 oz. It balances my 664-3 cgr well.

Maybe these reference points will help.

Post 05 Nov 2021, 11:47 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
about 40' of LC trolling line will add an ounce to any reel, of course it takes up reel space.

Post 05 Nov 2021, 22:44 • #18 
Sport
I recently found a Hardy 4/5 Cascapedia for a pretty good price over on the classic forum. I have a buddy who has one that he loaned me and it balanced nicely…a bit heavy, but I don’t know how much backing he has packed in there. What I do like is that the reel diameter is small. Not only does it look better but I tend to cast more sidearm than overhead and a reel with a larger diameter just “feels” heavier even though it occasionally weighs less.

I still have the LRH and a Galvan Rush LT 5 I can use on the Barclay if I feel like the Cascapedia is too much.

Post 06 Nov 2021, 06:44 • #19 
Glass Fanatic
Scooter:

There are a couple of newer 2-7/8” versions of the Cascapedia out there including what was called the Mk II 2/3/4 (Model HEC100) that made its debut in 2004, the subsequent Korean iteration called the Mk III 2/3/4 and the most recent Cascapedia 4/5 (Model HRECASB010), introduced in 2017 which is what you purchased.

All of those Cascapedias are 2-7/8” in diameter with a stated weight of 6.50 ounces although the newest, the 4/5 (Model HRECASB010) comes in a tad lighter with a stated weight of 6.30 ounces.

Bottom line, they are heavy reels. I know because I have a Mk II 2/3/4 hanging off a 7’6” 5wt bamboo rod. They will hold a 5-weight line, but if it is a DT there isn’t room for much backing.

Bottom line, you have 7 ounces of reel there with a line on it and likely no way to lighten it up considerably by removing any backing.

Regardless, they are sweet reels.

Enjoy!

Post 06 Nov 2021, 08:00 • #20 
Guide
It is an interesting discussion, especially with the Scott, but like Cappy I really do not worry about balance until I get into longer spey rods - such as Burkheimer 7134 7wt, 13'4". At this point, I am looking for a reel that keeps the point up when I am doing a swing.

Back to SH trout rods, I keep to discontinued Hardy Prince Reels, with multiple spools. But I admit these look to big on 2 and 3 weight rods.

I am not found of small arbours for tight bend radius either, so I am happy with my one off with my old Lamson Litespeed 1.5 on my old Scott 3wt 7'3".

I do use some old Scientific Angler System 2 56L.

The Ross RVR looks nice, but the price is very high and the bling on the Colorado is too much.

I too dislike the Brookeies drag, but would consider a Danielsson Midge.

Post 18 Nov 2021, 06:50 • #21 
Glass Fanatic
I have a F2 653 and use a old Ryobi 255 MG which is a little light but makes for a overall light rig that I can fish all day......Aurelio

Post 19 Nov 2021, 00:15 • #22 
Glass Fanatic
Given the rods you have, you need to jump into reels with similar reckless abandon.

An Ari't Hart F2 would set that to another level. Or a Ross R2 with the flower petals cutouts on the spool.
I would reread Zeppo-VA's I've fished with him and he has put a lot of hours on the water with his 7'10" 5wt.

Post 19 Nov 2021, 19:39 • #23 
Guide
After using a few reels on the 7105 and fishing it again last week, I like paring it most with a Hardy JLH 7. Lighter and smaller than the Marquis 8/9 but works really well with the rod. Actually the JLH is turning out to be my most versatile reel working well on a number of 5 and 6 wt rods ranging from 7' to 8'6”.

I am learning that although the rod - reel balance changes a bit with reel choice, there is a wide range of reel weights that are just fine with any of my rods and it really doesn’t make a difference unless the reel weight is at either extreme.

Carl - egg patterns were hot yesterday at Devils Backbone … ;)

New Topic Add Reply