It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 09:15

New Topic Add Reply
Delicate brute
Post 27 Oct 2021, 16:19 • #1 
Hi all,

I need a bit of guidance from those in the know:

I'm looking for a rod that will help with delicate presentation of dries/terrestrials/emergers. Obviously I'm aware that it has a lot to do with the idiot waving the stick and the line, but certain blanks lend themselves more or less to different presentations.

The catch here is that I need a fair bit of backbone as I'll be targeting large but damn spooky fish- think carp that love dries. It would be great to be able to throw some streamers when needed, but the emphasis here is on presentation and ability to subdue some pretty large fish.

Anyone have any ideas/suggestions, or am I smoking my socks with this one?

TIA!

Re: Delicate brute
Post 27 Oct 2021, 17:19 • #2 
Master Guide
Hello, an Epic 686, Orvis SFG 686, McFarland GTX, CTS or ********* Western in an 8’6” 5 or 6 wt. will do what you want. I have fished all the above rods and have fished flies from size 20 to 6 and taken bass and trout up to 5 lbs. with no issues. Good luck with your search.

Post 27 Oct 2021, 19:29 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
I know little about the newer glass rods mentioned but do have some odd vintage glass that are designated as "dry fly" action or similar.A finer tip with back bone.I occasionally hook up with a big carp,over 10lbs+,pursuing panfish with dries nymphs foam bugs etc.I could have landed these fish with the right reel.My point is the rods,mostly 5/6wts held up fine but the click pawl reels i like had no stopping power and not enough backing.The choice was break em off or lose a fly line.

Post 27 Oct 2021, 20:18 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
A big-fish/little-dries favorite is the FF79. Delicate with dies, wets, and emergers. Not good with weighted nymph rigs, not bad with lightly weighted streamers, and has the butt to subdue two foot plus trout.

Post 28 Oct 2021, 00:29 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
You can make damn near any rod present delicately (that part is up to you), but you can't add backbone to a rod that has none.

Personally, if what you describe is your normal, I'd be looking at a 7wt of some sort. There are loads of vintage rods that will work, plus a decent number of modern stuff available too. Shoot, my little Berkley Gowdy P/M 6/7wt (I have the 7'6") would work great for that because it'll handle a standard 6wt line super easily, drops little dries with extreme delicacy, yet can deal with steelhead and tank smallmouth (I've used it for both) easily. On the more "modern" side, my Echo BAG 7wt could do the same thing. That's just two examples. Most 7wt glass rods will also throw a 6wt floating line super easily, so you're also good there.

Post 28 Oct 2021, 08:45 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Kenny 835.

Post 28 Oct 2021, 09:58 • #7 
Master Guide
clarkman23 wrote:
You can make damn near any rod present delicately (that part is up to you), but you can't add backbone to a rod that has none.

I think that sums it up perfectly.

I think a fiberglass 6wt would work well.

Post 28 Oct 2021, 10:10 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
I thought about mentioning the Kenney 835, but didn’t in part because I bought mine from a builder who said (correctly) that although it’s a terrific rod, he found himself instead always grabbing the ********* that’s already been mentioned. The 835 is more all-round ready than the FF79 (good nymph 5wt appropriate streamer rod, as well as the good dry/emerger thing), but another reason for bringing up the FF79 is that multiples of that rod could be had for the price of the newer rods mentioned.
If backbone is maybe a greater consideration than the 5/6 repertoire presents, I’d probably grab my FF807. Not as enjoyable as the FF79 or 835 if spending the day casting size 20 dries, but if 5/6 strains at the fish, the FF807 just shrugs its shoulders. Plenty of other 8’ or 8’6” vintage 7wts that would get recommended for the role too. I’ve not fished the ********* 897 with small dries, but I’d expect to be happy with that performance too.

Post 28 Oct 2021, 10:14 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
Best bang for $=ff806, ff807
Big$= cts or epic

Post 28 Oct 2021, 22:34 • #10 
Guide
Fishing for "yellows?" I put up a video of some Japanese flyfishers (Long? fiberglass rods for carp fishing) targeting carp on dries on an urban river..they fished long rods, probably 7 or 8wts, for the delicate presentation and enough backbone to land large fish on light tippets.

I know little about the modern glass rods, but I would use something along the lines of a Silaflex 8&1/2' 6/7 wt or an 8' or longer Fenwick glass rod if you can find one.

Among the older designers/builders, Fenwick, Phillipson and Silaflex employed the fast tapers that may give you what you want.

Post 29 Oct 2021, 08:31 • #11 
Master Guide
The Steffen 6/7 would be nice for the task you described. It’s a progressive taper that allows delicate casts when needed, but it has a ton of power in the butt for turning large fish. It also makes a great streamer rod.

Post 29 Oct 2021, 10:22 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
I have somewhat less mainstream suggestion. I had a custom CTS 8'6" blank made up with +2 Butt and -1 Tip on a the standard 5wt taper. The result is a rod that can be fished with a 4 wt to a 6 wt. It's capable of delicate, light line presentations and the butt has subdued 20"+ fish without fuss.

Post 01 Nov 2021, 11:09 • #13 
@giogio, that's actual an interesting idea, I think I need to look into that, thank for the suggestion.

@El Duderino, the issue is trying to get a blank to RSA. I had a look at their website and it doesn't seem to be up and running?

@Phil-a-Flex, absolutely right. Fiberglass rods aren't popular here just yet. We've only recently had our first local supplier that offers a small range of glass offerings, so access is a problem. As such, I'm most likely going to have to go with something a little more "current".

@picketpin52, thank you. I'm leaning heavily toward the CTS option.

@Upstreeam, I like the ********* idea. Any idea if I can order a blank from the company? It seems like I can only get hold of built rods? Again, I'd love the other options, but there's just no access to more "vintage" models locally.

@desmobob, thank you!

@Hellmtflies, appreciated.

@clarkman23, noted. I'm considering the Echo as well, but do you have an opinion on the 2 7wt offerings from Mcfarland?

@Upstreeam, thank you. I'll look for a more "modern" alternative as I suspect finding that exact offering would be difficult.

@the hersh, noted, thanks. Shilton reels are locally made and have a great reputation, I'll probably invest in another as I currently have one on a 9wt and it's outstanding.

@Little kern golden, brilliant, thank you. Do you have a personal favourite?

New Topic Add Reply