It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 01:48

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply
Favorite DT line?
Post 16 Oct 2021, 13:28 • #1 
Guide
First, don't kill me for asking a question that has probably come up a bunch of times. There are a bunch of new lines out and curious if anyone has tried them and if people still prefer any classic DT lines.

I am looking for a DT line that is super slick, limp, casts well, and is durable. Lines are now super expensive and I am not in a position to try out a bunch to decide. I am curious about the new Airflo Superflo Elite DT. Also, Rio and Scientific Anglers have new DT lines.

Thanks!
Jason

Re: Favorite DT line?
Post 16 Oct 2021, 13:40 • #2 
Master Guide
406 lines are made for them by Scientific Anglers. I like mine. I’m also pretty happy with the Cortland 444 Peach line I have…

Post 16 Oct 2021, 14:14 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
I'm still using 444 Peach DT lines that I bought 20? years ago, I'd recommend them. But SA has a history of excellent DTs bank into the 1950s, I was happy with the Aircel lines in the "70s & '80s, so I'd not be afraid of their mid priced lines or lines they make for 406.

I have recently tried a few of the "cheap" lines with pretty good results and although they are not as good as $80 lines they ain't that bad, so if budget is paramount you can buy something usable ~$25-30.

Post 16 Oct 2021, 15:10 • #4 
Guide
I've replaced all of my lines with 406 DT flylines. True to weight, long lasting finish, supple, floats well, fair price, good service, what's not to like.
tt

Post 16 Oct 2021, 15:15 • #5 
Sport
i have been using 406DT lines for 4 years or so,i like them,the Airflo lines are polyurethane and outlast PVC lines and have a 5 year warranty,i have them in 2 thru 6 wt but in a WF,Ross Reels are the importer now and they are $100, the 406 are around $70.i like them both but mainly use the 406 DT4 and DT3 on my lighter glass .

Post 16 Oct 2021, 15:36 • #6 
Administrator
jasonseaward wrote:
First, don't kill me for asking a question that has probably come up a bunch of times. There are a bunch of new lines out and curious if anyone has tried them and if people still prefer any classic DT lines.

I am looking for a DT line that is super slick, limp, casts well, and is durable. Lines are now super expensive and I am not in a position to try out a bunch to decide. I am curious about the new Airflo Superflo Elite DT. Also, Rio and Scientific Anglers have new DT lines.

Yes, this comes up a lot. There aren't many DT lines on the market, especially if you want them to meet AFTMA standards. See this earlier post, viewtopic.php?f=2&t=71967&p=400006#p400006.

I don't recall the Superflo Elite DT from last time I looked at the Airflo offerings. If the Airflo website is accurate, the line meets the AFTMA line specs. Airflo didn't publish any taper information, except to compare it with a WF taper on a different line.

Bang for the name brand buck, the SA Aircel and Cortland 333 lines are hard to beat.

Tom

Post 16 Oct 2021, 16:33 • #7 
Guide
By far my favorite DT is Cortland Sylk. Almost no memory, even in cold weather, and thin for it's weight.

Post 16 Oct 2021, 17:18 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
The only current DT I use is the SciAngler Mastery DT. It ticks all the right buttons for me:

A shorter front taper than most or any other DT out there (loads my rods better on short casts)
    A TOLERABLE color (I wish it was white or yellow)
    Loops on both ends (yea, I like loops)
    A good floater & shooter
    Gets better (more limber) with age

I tried a Airflo SuperDRI Elite (now called SuperFlo Elite). It is a nice line, a "smidge" overweight but still within the AFTMA range. What I don't like about it is the front tapers are different on both ends and so is the color.

I want my DT's to be the same on both ends.

The only other DT's I use are real silk DT's made by Terenzio in Italy.

Post 16 Oct 2021, 17:43 • #9 
Sport
Cortland 444 peach for me most of the time. I do have 1 rod that loves the Cortland Sylk. Maybe I should try it on others.

Post 16 Oct 2021, 18:17 • #10 
Master Guide
Another vote for 406 lines.

Post 16 Oct 2021, 19:52 • #11 
Master Guide
The Scientific Anglers Frequency DT lines can be had a good price, especially if you can find them at a discount. They are the newer version of the older Supra and even older Ultra lines, and the taper appears to be the same as the the Mastery DT, as far as I can tell. Excellent lines in my book. SA doesn't seem to want to draw attention to the Frequency lines in DT, but I believe they are still manufacturing them.
https://www.scientificanglers.com/produ ... frequency/

I used to like the older SA Air Cel lines, but am not sure they still make them in DT.

I have also been a long time fan of the Cortland 444 peach DT lines and the old Cortland 333 DT lines. The older Rio Classic DT lines were favorites of mine as well, but hard to find anymore.

If I ever wear out the lines I have, I will check out the 406 and SA Mastery DT lines for sure.

Post 16 Oct 2021, 20:15 • #12 
Master Guide
I am also a fan of the SA DT's with the shorter front taper. I tried the lines with the delicate long front tapers but found they do not turn over my leaders as well and really do not give me any better presentation. For light presentation I go to a longer leader.
I like the mastery, supra, ultra, etc. I like the SA lines best but I also like the old green cortland 444sl. A little stiffer than the peach. Always preformed a little better than the peach for me.

Post 16 Oct 2021, 20:17 • #13 
Guide
Thanks for the kind words everyone. Alexis and I are off to Hailey ID to fish Silver Creek for two days and then to Jackson Hole to fish Flat Creek for two days. Using the prototype 406 "Spring Creek" 8'9" 3wt rod. Releasing in a couple of weeks.

Tom

Post 17 Oct 2021, 09:16 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
SA Trout DT or 406 DT lines for me.

Post 17 Oct 2021, 09:52 • #15 
Master Guide
I wish cortland still made the 444sl dt lines. Those were my favorite. Now, I use SA mastery dt.

Post 17 Oct 2021, 11:11 • #16 
Master Guide
Rio Lightline DT and Rio Technical Trout. Both are true to weight. Of the two, I might prefer the Lightline better. The Tech Trout has a bit more memory but it appears to go away after the line is broken in. The new slick cast coating on each is very, very nice.

The Scientific Angler Mastery DT is a nice line too. And it would be hard to go wrong with it. My wife has a Frequency DT and it’s not bad too (I have heard it’s a rebranded Supra/Ultra). Both are true to weight as it is my understanding.

I have not tried a Airflo line in quite some time, so not much help on there current stuff. But the last I tried was a Ridge line a rep gave me to try. I had a Scientific Angler Ultra 4 on the reel and spooled it off, and reeled the Ridge Line on. Had to take 10 or 15 yards of backing off to get it on for the same weight. It was a much thicker line. I fished it a few times and put the ultra 4 back on. Since it was thicker, I could feel the line pushing threw the air.

I have the Cortland Sylk as well. It’s nice but prefer the Rio’s. It can get a little sticky in hot weather, but I am not sure most would never notice it. But if you were using on a boat you may. But I still fish mine from time to time and enjoy it each time.

There are some other neat and interesting fly lines out there that one can have some fun with such as the old English Masterlines, silk lines, and artificial silk lines. I use each, and fish my Masterline Chalkstream an awful lot. But if I were selecting an line from the currents offerings it would be the Rio Lightline and Tech trout. My brother and I have a budding fly rod company, and those are the two lines we suggest to customers when asked.

Post 17 Oct 2021, 13:28 • #17 
Sport
Another vote for 406 DT lines. I have them in 3wt through 6wt and they're all wonderful on my 'glass rods.

A great, responsive small company with a great product!

Post 17 Oct 2021, 15:22 • #18 
Glass Fanatic
I have the Airflo in a 4wt and like it quite a bit

Post 17 Oct 2021, 16:14 • #19 
Glass Fanatic
From all the recommendations and my own experience I think it's hard to find a bad DT line. It's such a simple concept it's hard to mess it up. I share a conceptual the dislike for lines that have different tapers on each end but that's just something in my mind - I bet I could live with that too if I didn't think about it.

Post 17 Oct 2021, 18:57 • #20 
Master Guide
I'm another fan of the 406 DT lines, plus I have a few of Cortland's offerings, the Trout Boss is real nice as well as the Modern Trout. The Trout Boss is a bit heavier rated than the Modern Trout. Also own some Peach 444 and Green 444sl. Wish they did not discontinue the DT 444sl, but I think the Modern Tout is a close copy.

Post 17 Oct 2021, 20:29 • #21 
Guide
Over the past 3 years I have tried several DT lines, 406 (5 different ones) - Sylk - SA - RIO. I prefer the RIO Lightline DT because the taper casts beautifully, the tip sections’ diameters are consistent and smaller than both the Sylk and the 406. Moreover, the “Slickcast” is the real deal.

Best, Bob

Post 17 Oct 2021, 23:39 • #22 
Guide
Thanks everyone!

For the Rio Lightlight DT, it's advertised for "slow" glass rods. How would the line be for faster glass rods?

Post 18 Oct 2021, 01:55 • #23 
Administrator
jasonseaward wrote:
it's advertised for "slow" glass rods.

That's marketing speak for an accurately weighted fly line.

What rod(s) are you buying the line for? What lines have you used with it so far?

Tom

Post 18 Oct 2021, 08:52 • #24 
Master Guide
jasonseaward wrote:
Thanks everyone!

For the Rio Lightlight DT, it's advertised for "slow" glass rods. How would the line be for faster glass rods?

You bet! It will be just fine. It would be a good line on any rod.

Post 18 Oct 2021, 09:02 • #25 
Glass Fanatic
Texture and feel of a line may be important to an angler for different reasons, with trade-offs in that choice. For instance, the smooth, slick lines may need less cleaning, but may also slip in the fingers of some users. As to diameter of lines, assuming identical in weight per unit of length, the thinner the line, the less buoyant since it is denser. This may affect the need of a line dressing, and also affects how high/low the line floats or suspends in the surface film, and from that, it's ease in mending and pick up. These are personal choices partly to suit the angler's dexterity, but also to suit fishing conditions.

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply