It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 18:10

New Topic Add Reply
Post 16 Oct 2021, 12:51 • #1 
Sport
I have a number of 6/7 wt rods such as Parametrics and Silaflexes that work best for me with a 6.5 wt line I own. Unfortunately it is not suitable for tropical temperatures and I am planning an extended stay in the Costa Maya region of Mexico this winter. Any recommendations as far as a bonefish line in that weight?

Also, a Fenglass 837 arrived at my door yesterday and I was not able to achieve any more distance with it that the aforementioned rods using both a SA7 WF and an SA 8 wt slime line, so any suggestions there would also be appreciated.

Thanks.

Post 16 Oct 2021, 13:34 • #2 
Guide
Just a thought but if you plan on wading more than fishing out of a skiff you might consider a 7 wt. line. Wading quietly you can cut casting distance down and the advantage of your rod loading quicker and more wind resistance appeal to me.

Post 16 Oct 2021, 13:42 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
You may also want to take an intermediate line which will help buck the almost always present wind - thinner and more dense fly line. If wade fishing with an intermediate line I suggest a shooting basket if floating line you can skip it. Fishing from a skiff there is no need for a basket.

Can't help with the Fenglass.

Post 16 Oct 2021, 13:52 • #4 
Sport
As stated I have tried an SA 7WF line on these rods (3 pc 8' and 8 1/2' Parametrics and 8' and 8 1/2' Silaflex rods), I get more distance with the 6.5 wt. Perhaps that is just a reflection of the line design.

My understanding is that the 6.5 wt would do better in the wind if the density is the same, no?

BTW, just got back from another test of the 937 on the lawn with another line, a Wulff TT 7/8 wt. I was able to cast 70' fly line which is what I was hoping for so it is going into the quiver.

I do have an 8 wt intermediate, but that is too much for the 6/7 wt rods. Speaking with one of the guides down there, they are not too high on intermediates, I guess because of the desirability of being able to pick up and recast quickly.

I do hate casting flies with dumbell eyes and have a number of 7wt sink tip lines so I might experiment with those. The 6 and 7 wt rods are primarily for calmer days and lighter flies though.

New Topic Add Reply