It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:56

New Topic Add Reply
Post 12 Oct 2021, 20:25 • #1 
Sport
Last week I ordered a new Orvis Superfine Glass 7’6” 4 wt simply because it was available and has multiple positive comments here. That said, what I really wanted was a 3wt 7’ or 7’6” but alas those have become unicorns of late.

Shortly after ordering the 4wt, I discovered a 3wt 7’ rod on Amazon. I thought it was an old dead ad so I reached out to the vendor and low and behold they actually had it. Seems it was new old stock that had been buried in their stock room.

Fast forward to yesterday, and both rods arrived. I instantly fell in love with the 3 wt paired with 4DT Cortland Sylk. The 4 wt…well the jury is still out. It feels heavy and clunky compared to the 3 wt.

Given that I plan to use this rod for small streams, dries and occasional small foam offerings or light dry droppers, I’m wondering if the 4wt rod really does anything in my scenario that the 3wt doesn’t?

So the question is…do I keep both or send the 4wt back to the vendor?

Post 12 Oct 2021, 21:14 • #2 
Guide
I was in very much the same boat a few years ago. The rod I wanted was the 763 but I ended up owing the 703 and 764. I actually ended up selling the 703, mainly due to the length, as I already had a 6’6” rod. I too found the 703 felt more like a 4wt and I don’t think there’s much difference in performance between it and the 764, save the extra 6” of reach for mending, etc… I would agree that the 764 is a beefy 4wt, but it’s a very versatile stick. I now own the 763 and it’s a real sweetheart, everything I was hoping it’d be, but it’s a true 3wt.

I’m not sure I’m helping much here. Bottom line is, I think the 764 could play into 5wt territory but for the most part, the 703 will be just as capable.

Both nice rods, what a problem to have!

Last edited by BigHeavy on 13 Oct 2021, 13:58, edited 1 time in total.

Post 12 Oct 2021, 21:29 • #3 
Master Guide
Set up the 4wt for a warm water rod, use some heavy wf line and fish for bass with it, or use it for area with heavy cover, Ive had both those rods at the same time and did that, you can always get rid of it.

Post 12 Oct 2021, 21:35 • #4 
Sport
You think the 4wt has enough backbone to land largemouth bass and throw poppers, etc?

Post 12 Oct 2021, 22:10 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
I have both the 3wt and 4wt, both in 7'6". I think of them both as high country rods. The 4wt gets more use in lakes, but will handle hoppers and small tungsten nymphs, and is not shabby with a 5wt line. That said, I've caught some nice fish on the 3wt, too.

I've read that some people prefer the 5wt to the 4wt, but I'm not letting my 4wt go anytime soon ...

Post 13 Oct 2021, 07:26 • #6 
Guide
I wouldn’t hesitate to tie on a popper and chase largemouth with that 4wt, so long as we’re not talking 6lb’ers! As mentioned, put on a heavy 4wt line like Rio Gold or SA Infinity, or step up to a 5wt line. This is a great idea if you’re looking to keep both rods.

Post 13 Oct 2021, 09:49 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Given what you’ve said…it will always be in second place, especially if it is heavy. In your shoes, I’d send it back.

Post 13 Oct 2021, 12:14 • #8 
Guide
Despite having no experience with the exact rods in question, my preference is to avoid overlap of funcionality. A 3-weight is very similar to a 4-weight in what it will and will not do. So my rods tend to be 0-or 1-weight, 3-weight, 5-weight, and 7-weight. Another thing I avoid is the commercial trap of intenionally off-spec lines that are a half-weight or more heavier than they should be.

Post 13 Oct 2021, 13:34 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
There's a forum filled with fiberglass fly rod geeks. You might be able to sell it there...

Post 13 Oct 2021, 14:02 • #10 
Guide
I really like my Orvis SFG 764 and do not find it heavy. I haven't cast the smaller Orvis rods in the SFG line up, but I have handled numerous other glass rods from other makers and find the 764 to be nicely balanced. All of this is subjective. Just my two cents. I would keep the 4wt.

In terms of flies, I do not enjoy the 764 with weighted flies. Yes, it is doable, just not fun, IMO. Personally I would find a different rod for that. I like the 764 with dries, small nymphs, and wets. I love the tippy, faster action of the rod.

I should add that I view the rod as a great general purpose trout rod. It's a perfect option for a trout angler who wants to break out of the 9' 5wt graphite mold and see what "shorter" rods (relative to the 9er) in a glass configuration are all about.

Post 13 Oct 2021, 15:23 • #11 
Master Guide
My only experience with the Superfine Glass is the 764. I really enjoy it and find it surprising to hear it described as heavy and clunky.

I'd say your dilemma is a case of budget, storage space, or thrift. Personally, since the painful part (paying for it) is already over, I'd keep it and fish it!

Post 13 Oct 2021, 21:53 • #12 
Sport
I really enjoy my SFG 764. Fun, light rod. I’ve used a WF5 on the rod, as well as a heavy WF3. Worked well with both.
I also don’t enjoy fishing weighted flies or streamers with it. Dry flies and soft hackle wet flies are my preference.

Post 14 Oct 2021, 07:36 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
In the long run, a 4 weight will gain your favor, and you will wonder why you screwed around with a 3 weight all that time.

Post 14 Oct 2021, 13:13 • #14 
Guide
Welcome to the forum.. Only you can answer if you can justify both rods. From experience I think the SFG 4wt is closer to a 5 wt than a 3 wt. I owned the 5 wt for a while and borrowed the 4wt to try. I almost couldn't tell the difference. So if you think you'll need a 5wt on occasion, the SFG 4 can do that.
As of late......If I havent' used something for a couple years or so or don't see future use; it's being sold.

Post 14 Oct 2021, 14:23 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
whrlpool wrote:
In the long run, a 4 weight will gain your favor, and you will wonder why you screwed around with a 3 weight all that time.

My instinct agrees with this. The lightest flynline I own is a 4 wt, although I fish it on a few short Lamis that are labeled as 3 wts.

I tend to jump from 4 to 6 to 8 when making fishing choices although I do have a few niche rods in 5 and 7.

I love to fish a 4 wt, but the wind at altitude can shut you down. 6 wt is highly reliable in most environments.

As I mentioned, you seem to love the 3 wt, and for you the 4 wt is her ugly big sister. Send it back and spend your money on something you will love.

Good luck!

Post 19 Oct 2021, 06:21 • #16 
Guide
I only own the 703 which I bought for the smaller mountain creeks in Maine , I fish it with a tri-taper wf3 and it’s definitely one of my favorite rods , if all it costs is time , I’d keep them both and fish them equally for a while , see which one grows more on you (or maybe both will ? ) , like an earlier post stated , there’s always an avenue here to sell either , or neither ??? Have fun testing …

New Topic Add Reply