It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:53

New Topic Add Reply
Post 07 Oct 2021, 18:51 • #1 
Guide
It's a question for those of us living in places not known for trout fishing. I usually have a couple of rods in the rod loft in my 4Runner, so I'll have people ask me, "Where do you fly fish in Kansas?" I guess there must be some reason they think you can't use a fly rod in the same waters where folks are using spinning gear or bait cast rods and reels? The second question is usually, "What do you fish for?", like maybe when you're fishing with a fly rod you hope to catch something other than the fish everybody else is fishing for?

Last edited by Prairieschooner on 07 Oct 2021, 20:37, edited 1 time in total.

Post 07 Oct 2021, 20:09 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Yep,and i could not catch a fish on flies yesterday but 4 nice bass on wacky worms. did have a big bass break break my 14lb FC leader and steal my bass bug.Forgot to throw the bass flies in my bag So fly fishing was done for day..Had a guy witness this and could not believe i hooked that fish on a flyrod.I did gift him a couple senkos and o rings that i actually landed fish on.

Post 07 Oct 2021, 22:50 • #3 
Guide
Asked that question all the time, though some folks know the names of some local lakes.

I tell people that bass and redear/bluegill fishing is a blast on a flyrod, assuming they think they are only for trout and other salmonids...try to avoid telling them they don't know what they are missing. They think we are nuts, fishing in S. Arizona

Ssssh....

Post 08 Oct 2021, 01:48 • #4 
Master Guide
Absolutely. Most people associate fly fishing with mountain streams and dry flies, and have no idea of such things as sinking lines.

Post 08 Oct 2021, 08:31 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Thirty years ago, a friend and fishing partner of mine, who guided brass from one of the "high end" tackle companies, met me to fish. We rarely talked tackle brand and glitz, but he had a new latest-best-thing rod-reel combo given him as a tip. He liked good tackle but could catch fish with about anything. Plus we were just going out to fill a cooler with crappies. After the trip--I took some pics--I joked that I would "report" him to the tackle company for using such a fine fly-fishing rig to twitch wooly worms in front of old slabsides. They would have liked pics of a flip-flop brook trout, or at least a 4 lb. smallmouth. It was a great bass rig and (now, anyway) a classic graphite river rod. Well anyway, yes, I think it's just that simple. Folks not that familiar with fly fishing still associate it with trout and mountain streams. A question like that just shows interest in knowing more, which is a good thing.

Post 08 Oct 2021, 11:34 • #6 
Master Guide
i lived in KS. didn't fish there much. always seemed to be going to Arkansas and Missouri to do fishing.
I did a lot of casting in Kansas though. slightly different subject, i saw a guy up at red feather lake just killing it like every other cast was producing a fish. He was using a spinning rod with a clear bobber half full of water and a size #20 black gnat on some tippet just about two food down from the bobber.

Post 08 Oct 2021, 12:09 • #7 
Guide
A couple of years ago I was at a local state park on a holiday weekend (what was I thinking ?!!!). I was shore casting gurglers for bass and bluegill when a young guy walked by with a cooler on his shoulder and girl friend in tow asked me, "Have you ever tried that fly fishin' thang?" All I could do was point at my rod.

Post 08 Oct 2021, 12:23 • #8 
Sport
Can’t say I’ve ever had anyone ask me while I lived in Kansas “Where do I fly fish in Kansas” but I think most non anglers don’t really know the difference just by seeing a rod.

I have had several times been asked “What are you fishing for?” But that gets asked to me all the time even when I was spin fishing.

Post 09 Oct 2021, 19:20 • #9 
Guide
First question, no, but I live in an area where fly fishing is pretty common. Second question, yes, several times. Usually goes something like, What do you fish for? Fish. What kind? Whatever hits!

Post 09 Oct 2021, 22:01 • #10 
Sport
Yes and Yes

Post 11 Oct 2021, 22:15 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
I have to admit that in southern Ontario a whole lot of people with fly rods will fish for anything that swims (myself included.It wasnt always like this.At one time a fly rod was a rarity.In the 80s I was fishing the Grand River for bass,walleye whatever when someone yells from the bank."THERES NO TROUT IN HERE." :)

Post 12 Oct 2021, 01:20 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
My sister lives in socal and has a nice pond in her neighborhood park that is stocked with bass and gills. Last time I went down there I brought a fly rod and when I went to the pond to fish while I was setting up the picnic table by the water a guy that was also about to start fishing sees my fly rod and somewhat condescendingly tells me "there's no trout in here you're not going to catch anything" . I just laughed and said "ok" and proceeded to fish. I started catching some really nice sized bluegills and by the fourth one he walks back over to ask what I'm using and then tells me how he never thought you could fly fish for other types of fish.

So some people really do think fly fishing is a specialty type of fishing only for trout. Its like they watched "A River Runs Through It" once and now think thats all fly fishing is for.

Post 12 Oct 2021, 03:49 • #13 
Guide
I live in New England where trout are king.
I fish for warm water species 99% of the time so I am asked all the time.
One morning this year- a guy paddled over to me because he saw me flyfishing and told me there were no trout in the lake. I told him I know and said I was fishing for smallies with the long wand.
No s_____t he said! How do you do that? I roll casted my popper over to him so he could take a look. I told him that I too, fish spin gear but prefer the fly rod.
I invited him to watch and he did - lo and behold , a smallie smacked the popper and did what smallies do so well. He told me that he was going to get a fly rod and try it himself.
Another down the rabbit hole.

Post 18 Oct 2021, 17:32 • #14 
Sport
So.., he took the red pill...

Post 19 Oct 2021, 09:57 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
Most of the flyfishing press is geared toward trout and saltwater to well heeled potential clients. It is an industry after all.If i could fish clear streams for trout or smallies that is what i would do mostly.We have lots of public water that is not managed at all anymore as priorities in my state have shifted to bike and walking trails etc,not game and fish.Retention ponds in suburban areas hold some good populations and are mostly C&R.People look at me like i am from another planet with my flyrods.When i was kid more people fly fished in my area. Mostly old dudes.I did have one guy ,who was a very good fly caster ,give a very condescending attitude at my choice of vintage gear.He was throwing perfect roll casts and catching a stocked trout every other cast.I asked him what he was using and he said a Sage whatever model.I was asking about his fly choice.

Post 19 Oct 2021, 10:07 • #16 
Guide
Skunkedalot wrote:
I live in New England where trout are king.
I fish for warm water species 99% of the time so I am asked all the time.
One morning this year- a guy paddled over to me because he saw me flyfishing and told me there were no trout in the lake. I told him I know and said I was fishing for smallies with the long wand.
No s_____t he said! How do you do that? I roll casted my popper over to him so he could take a look. I told him that I too, fish spin gear but prefer the fly rod.
I invited him to watch and he did - lo and behold , a smallie smacked the popper and did what smallies do so well. He told me that he was going to get a fly rod and try it himself.
Another down the rabbit hole.

lol, that's a cool story.

Post 19 Oct 2021, 11:08 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
the hersh wrote:
Most of the flyfishing press is geared toward trout and saltwater to well heeled potential clients. It is an industry after all.If i could fish clear streams for trout or smallies that is what i would do mostly.We have lots of public water that is not managed at all anymore as priorities in my state have shifted to bike and walking trails etc,not game and fish.Retention ponds in suburban areas hold some good populations and are mostly C&R.People look at me like i am from another planet with my flyrods.When i was kid more people fly fished in my area. Mostly old dudes.I did have one guy ,who was a very good fly caster ,give a very condescending attitude at my choice of vintage gear.He was throwing perfect roll casts and catching a stocked trout every other cast.I asked him what he was using and he said a Sage whatever model.I was asking about his fly choice.

Sage he was not. :lol

Post 19 Oct 2021, 16:24 • #18 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks John,my casting has improved somewhat from that encounter years ago , i still fish the same water every fall and manage a few trout.It was a humbling experience,i thought i had run across a kindred spirit.He was a heck of a fly fisherman at least that day he was.This is basically a 40 yard wide channel in an old sand pit they let us fish for a small yearly fee.The trout get fished out rather quickly and they never announce when they stock them.

New Topic Add Reply