It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 03:47

New Topic Add Reply
Fall Run - Stripers
Post 29 Sep 2021, 08:02 • #1 
Glass Fanatic

The fall run is on here in the Northeast and stripers are grouped up and roaming around keyed in on all the young of the year baitfish. I was invited out with a friend on his boat on Sunday. We planned an early 5:15am launch to be on the water before first light but the weather forced a delayed start. It was thunder and lightning earlier in the morning but then just plain downpours held us up but we still were on the water at sunrise.

A short boat run from the ramp and we found lots of breaking fish with birds marking them. The conditions were nice and fishy with flat calm and a light rain. Lots of stripers caught right off all around the ranges of 23-26 inches which are great fun on the fly rod. Unfortunately if you count fish on what you can take home it was a slow day as no slot fish were caught. The current slot range is 28-34.99 inches. Came close with one just under 28 inches.

All my fish were caught on this Fisher fiberglass two piece 9/10 wrapped by Larry Kenny and a Teeny T-250 fly line using a skoks mushmouth streamer fly.

Re: Fall Run - Stripers
Post 29 Sep 2021, 08:27 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Nice! Something that is on my bucket list!

Post 29 Sep 2021, 08:45 • #3 
Master Guide
Exciting to see birds working and busting fish!!!

Never seen a Ross reel with a spool like that. What model is that Ross reel.

Post 29 Sep 2021, 09:15 • #4 
Glass Fanatic

That is an early Ross from their Etna days with a special spool on an S2 model reel. I have two other spools for that reel that don't have that pattern engraved.

Post 29 Sep 2021, 09:37 • #5 
Master Guide
I have an S2 with plain spool, got to spool up the S2 this week as the stripers were active after all the rain we had last week.

Post 29 Sep 2021, 11:14 • #6 
Master Guide
Stripers on a glass fly rod is so much fun! You had a great day! Hope you get out again for more fall run fun!

Post 29 Sep 2021, 15:34 • #7 
Guide
Cool post and photos jeffsod. Thanks for that. Cheers

Post 30 Sep 2021, 08:34 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Sounds like fun. We have stripers out here, non-native of course. From what I've read the west coast stripers migrate up the delta and rivers this time of year, and people often fish for them in the surf during the springtime. They are in a few reservoirs, too. I have yet to catch any, but one of these years ...

Post 30 Sep 2021, 18:37 • #9 
Guide
Tis the season , get em before there gone , just simply and awesome time of year for everything fishing , but cruising up to busting fall blues & stripers with glass , welp , that’s just special all to itself … Enjoy

Post 01 Oct 2021, 07:41 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
The fall run is a special time for sure but it really requires some kind of watercraft as the fish are mobile and tracking the numerous schools of bait which must keep moving to survive.

Last week I went out late in the day to a Cape Cod estuary and low tide was at 9:00pm so I was fishing the outgoing tide. It is a large estuary that funnels out into the ocean so the obvious spot it the inside top of the funnel earlier at the start of the outgoing and then dropping to the bottom of the funnel for the end of the outgoing tide.

Upon arriving two hours into the drop I ran into another fly fisherman who reported the fishing to be slow. And low and behold it was slow. I moved around up and down the funnel/channel with no sign of life. Finally at sunset around 630pm I joined a spin fisherman at the tail end of the funnel where the water meets the ocean and some fish had started biting there. The spin fisherman unfortunately broke the tip of his nice spin rod high sticking so that opened up the prime spot to me. Still I was not having the success he was with a jig but eventually landed several twenty plus inch stripers.

At about seven o'clock with the sun long since set and completely dark with overcast skies I heard a funny sound behind me. I was standing in knee deep water at the mouth and tide was still flowing strong with two hours left in the drop. The sound it turns out was hundreds of striper tails slapping the surface of the water as they engaged a school of young of the year river herring approximately 2-3 inches long. When I turned on my head lamp they were zooming every which way around me running for their lives with stripers 18-26 inches in hot pursuit.

I had to change up my fly to a more suitable imitation but once I did I started getting some tugs and fish. It was still not easy as you would think due to the shear volume of bait in the water that was surrounding me. Crazy was how close it all was as I was literally surrounded by bait and blitzing stripers. It was about at 8:00 when the scene turned into what can best be compared to the one in Caddy Shack when Bill Murray was caddying the guy to his best game of golf ever when the weather went south. Heavy rain and thunder and lightning. The classic quote 'I don't think the heavy stuff is going to come down for a while' :) That was me. Of course the first sign of lightning which was not forecast and I was done but it sure was not easy to leave the action. In the end I was completely drenched.

The amazing thing was if you had left before that school dropped down the funnel to the ocean you would have thought there were no fish around. It was very slow. So find the bait you find the fish. They are fattening up for winter and that is their main focus.

Post 02 Oct 2021, 17:19 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
jeffsod wrote:

The fall run is on here in the Northeast and stripers are grouped up and roaming around keyed in on all the young of the year baitfish. I was invited out with a friend on his boat on Sunday. We planned an early 5:15am launch to be on the water before first light but the weather forced a delayed start. It was thunder and lightning earlier in the morning but then just plain downpours held us up but we still were on the water at sunrise.

A short boat run from the ramp and we found lots of breaking fish with birds marking them. The conditions were nice and fishy with flat calm and a light rain. Lots of stripers caught right off all around the ranges of 23-26 inches which are great fun on the fly rod. Unfortunately if you count fish on what you can take home it was a slow day as no slot fish were caught. The current slot range is 28-34.99 inches. Came close with one just under 28 inches.

All my fish were caught on this Fisher fiberglass two piece 9/10 wrapped by Larry Kenny and a Teeny T-250 fly line using a skoks mushmouth streamer fly.

:like

I'm curious, what is that reelseat?

Post 02 Oct 2021, 18:07 • #12 
Master Guide
That's an old school Fuji graphite seat. Guessing it's a DPS seat. Also guessing LK modified it so that he could hide the hood under the cork (or the hood was small enough he didn't need to modify it).

Post 02 Oct 2021, 18:26 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
That is correct that is a Fuji seat. Not real pretty but very functional and good for the salt.

Post 03 Oct 2021, 04:10 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
I thought you were going to say that when you turned around it was a great white. My days of fishing in the dark on the Cape are over, but I still like to sight fish on Chapin Beach on the outgoing.

Post 03 Oct 2021, 09:17 • #15 
Piscator
like your photos Jeff - thanks for posting.
Fishing is also turning on here - fall is great.

Post 03 Oct 2021, 21:20 • #16 
Master Guide
Looks absolutely fantastic. Definitely on my list. I got invited to visit a friend in RI last week to fish end of striper run in Narragansett Bay, then over to the Wood River to fish for brook trout. I couldn’t go because I had Durango CO already scheduled. Fall is fantastic indeed.

Post 04 Oct 2021, 06:46 • #17 
Guide
Jeff , I do probably the opposite of most , I head north to York beach for them off Long sands , baitfish always seem to get pushed into the cove and pockets , especially with more water at incoming high tides , fall season is shorter for them on their migration run , but believe it or not , I have actually still caught stripers (some years) well into the second week of Nov , if the baby bunkers are still futzing around and the schools of mackerel take over , of course Mother Nature has her role in things , but it’s a great option for hanging on to the end of a season …

Post 04 Oct 2021, 07:38 • #18 
Glass Fanatic
My friend was back out in that area with his brother this time first light on Saturday morning and they found similar surface action for the first hour and a half of daylight. The only difference was the size class of fish was up a notch or two. They were getting fish in the thirty plus inch class on fly rods with the largest 37"...

Post 04 Oct 2021, 12:02 • #19 
Guide
What fun! I've gotten into stripers many years ago on the surface on the Susquehanna River and Chesapeake Bay in MD, but with spinning tackle and surface plugs. Can only imagine the fun on a fly rod.

Post 05 Oct 2021, 06:27 • #20 
Guide
You are correct Jeff , many slot size and larger in the mix up there , seen many 50+ splashing around in the mix over the years , good news though , they all are headed your way !!!

Post 12 Oct 2021, 01:06 • #21 
Glass Fanatic
what a great catch! I went and tried for stripers a few weeks ago at the canals but didn't have any luck. I think I want to try again.

New Topic Add Reply