It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 01:47

New Topic Add Reply
Shorty Ambassador
Post 26 Sep 2021, 17:21 • #1 
About a month ago, after we finally had a little rain and some cooler temps, I spent a couple hours at the creek down the hill with a 6.5 ft. Wright & McGill Ambassador and a sculpted pillars/square guard 1492 loaded with a Sylk DT4F. Managed a small handful of pretty little browns on small yellow hopper pattern. The blank and line matched nicely with some of the streamside vegetation. Hope you enjoy these few pics.

Cheers!

Jim

P.S. The water temp was 60F when I started at 10-10:30, which was cooler than I thought it might be; I fished until about 1. I chose the 1492 Medalist because it balances that rod nicely, and the rod performed well with the 4-weight line. Later, at home, realizing I haven't done it before despite owning that rod for maybe 12 years now, I lawn cast it to compare the 4-wt. with a 5 and a 6, both also Sylk DTFs. It felt best over most distances with the 5, good with the 4 if reaching out, and good with the 6 for shorter casts.

Would welcome any feedback on lines or reels that others have used with this rod or other shorter Trevarno glass rods, and thoughts on what would be the best era-appropriate reel to match with this rod, as well as info on the years that W&Mc produced the Ambassador rods.

Thanks,

Jim

Last edited by Zelenymph2 on 27 Sep 2021, 09:57, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Shorty Ambassador
Post 26 Sep 2021, 18:06 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Nice rod, nice outing, and nice fish to have down the hill.

Post 26 Sep 2021, 20:40 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Agree! Great rod and I would love to have that stream in the backyard!

Post 27 Sep 2021, 09:30 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Good stuff ! I agree, hard to beat that kind of backyard.

Post 27 Sep 2021, 12:19 • #5 
Thanks. A quick search here suggested that W&M produced the 6.5-ft. fly rods only in 1956 and '57. This one has two tips, which apparently was discontinued (on other models) by 1963. This 6.5-footer weighs just under 4 ounces on my old postal scale. Has only a stripping guide on the butt and 5 snakes + tip-top on the tips. All guides and the reel seat are plated/gold colored. No line recommendation. Lettering on butt reads:

Wright + McGill
"Ambassador" AMF - 61/2'

Then under that, in very tiny all caps, I think it says TRADE MARK, but very tough to see.

Did W&M make a particular reel at that time (1956-57) that would be a good match for this - maybe one of the EC or AD models?

Post 27 Sep 2021, 13:03 • #6 
Guide
Blast! I just told my wife that I didn’t want anymore fly rods and that I was “done for a while.”

I am adding this rod to my wish list.

Thanks so much for posting.

Doug

Post 29 Sep 2021, 14:59 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Very cool. I learn something new all the time about W & M rods. Here, I never knew there was a 6.5ft version of that rod. I thought the shortly later Featherlights introduced the first sub-7ft offerings by W & M. So I'd imagine that there are probably other models in that length that were made in the late 50's too when Lee Wulff was in earnest evangelizing the merits of short rods.

New Topic Add Reply