It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 06:16

New Topic Add Reply
Post 24 Sep 2021, 19:45 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
Any difference besides cosmetics?

Post 25 Sep 2021, 04:57 • #2 
Guide
https://youtu.be/1ILyQbcFE54

Based on the above review pretty much cosmetics is the main difference.

Post 25 Sep 2021, 07:33 • #3 
Master Guide
I think it looks kind of vintage I rather like it although I don't own one or plan too, too many yellow ones around lately, besides glass should be brown, I heard someone say that once.

Post 25 Sep 2021, 07:46 • #4 
Guide
I think the old ones were quite photogenic.

Post 25 Sep 2021, 07:53 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
I din’t mind the yellow. The new one looks like three people were working on the sections simultaneously and not telling each other what they were doing.

Post 25 Sep 2021, 12:35 • #6 
Sport
Crustybugger is spot on. Could not agree more! Totally looks like a bad compromise between 3 designers.

Post 25 Sep 2021, 13:39 • #7 
Master Guide
CrustyBugger wrote:
I din’t mind the yellow. The new one looks like three people were working on the sections simultaneously and not telling each other what they were doing.

Agreed. It is reminiscent of some of the South Bends, but misses the mark.

Post 26 Sep 2021, 08:29 • #8 
Guide
cappy wrote:

I have to disagree. Even in the review, when he realized he had the rod line with a Rio Grand -- a full line weight heavy -- he conceded that the action must be different than the original.

In my experience, the newer model is quite a bit faster (that is to say it's a medium action) than the original, which in my hands seemed very slow.

Post 26 Sep 2021, 08:40 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
That’s what I thought. The Rio Grand fly line is a joke. I can just hear the Marketers saying “Let’s market a line that’s a full line weight heavy!! That way fisherman can say they have a 4wt line on their ridiculously fast, oversized 5wt rods that are labeled as 4wts. We will be selling out of spec lines but why should we care? Those fly fisherman are so vain and stupid, they just might buy it! ” The sad truth is those marketers were right. That line has been on the market for years now.

Post 26 Sep 2021, 10:33 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
I only have the 6wt -

The line pictured here is an older Airflo Bass / warmwater WF6F. I'm not entirely sure what the grain weight is on the line, but it matches the color scheme well :)

I also own the Fenglass 6wt -

The line used here is a half weight heavy Cabelas Prestige something or other (the one with two loops).

Later I started using the Butter Stick with an Orvis Bass WF6F line I got on closeout, which has a short head and is about a half weight heavy. It is textured and works well.

My experience with the Fenglass and the Butter Stick 6wt's is that the Fenglass is a bit faster. The Butter Stick roll casts well, being a bit longer. Just my opinion (such as it is :) ).

Post 26 Sep 2021, 10:39 • #11 
Guide
Aesthetics are big for me, and I have to agree with CrustyBugger that IMHO the new version is just too busy! Best, Bob

Post 26 Sep 2021, 11:14 • #12 
Guide
redietz wrote:
cappy wrote:

I have to disagree. Even in the review, when he realized he had the rod line with a Rio Grand -- a full line weight heavy -- he conceded that the action must be different than the original.

In my experience, the newer model is quite a bit faster (that is to say it's a medium action) than the original, which in my hands seemed very slow.
I didn't watch the whole video as I'm not interested in the Redington glass rods. ;)

New Topic Add Reply