It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 11:03

New Topic Add Reply
Post 19 Sep 2021, 12:18 • #1 
Sport
Hey all - I’m headed out to the Conifer/Foxton area southwest of Denver on the 28th of this month for 5 days. I’ll be seeing Tyler Childers at Red Rocks two nights but packing my gear to fish the area during the days. Reaching out for some help from the locals here, I have a guide booked for Friday on the south platte but I’d like to fish some other streams prior to. Any suggestions for streams around that area (willing to drive a bit) and fly patterns that you like to fish this time of year there. I’ll be tying up all week and I could use all the help I can get. Much appreciated in advance!

Eric

Post 21 Sep 2021, 10:27 • #2 
Sport
It’s been a few years since I lived in the area and I was a bit north of Denver but I always liked fishing the Poudre outside of Ft Collins and the Big Thompson up near Estes Park. Of course, Rocky Mountain Nat Park is fun and spectacular as well.
Fly wise I used a hopper/dropper (actually a stimulator or humpy and a 18-22 rs2) or any softhackle nymph primarily. On the poudre, a #14-16 pheasant tail seemed to be a good match as well.
Paul

Post 21 Sep 2021, 11:06 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
I've only fished around Boulder and in town and it was always really good. Standard dry/dropper worked great for everything, streamers worked great for larger (but fewer) fish.

Post 22 Sep 2021, 06:56 • #4 
Sport
Thanks for the input guys. I've tied up a bunch of darth baetis in a few colors in size 20, two bit hookers in golden stone, and some mini leeches. I'll be adding a few caddis variations tonight to include my dry option. I'll be somewhat close to boulder so I might check out a couple streams through there.

Post 22 Sep 2021, 11:09 • #5 
Sport
Forgot to mention the Conejos down by Alamosa. It’s a bit of a drive but if you’re starting on the south side of Denver it’s a doable day trip. I really liked fishing there and the valley is really unique with the sand dunes. Big trout. Really big.
Paul

Post 22 Sep 2021, 13:42 • #6 
Sport
Doable if sleep isn't important... :lol

Post 23 Sep 2021, 11:56 • #7 
Sport
Sounds like a challenge, I'll map it out. Thanks Paul!

Post 23 Sep 2021, 12:54 • #8 
Guide
A couple of other options near Denver: Clear Creek above Idaho Springs, Boulder Creek between Boulder and Nederland and MF of St. Vrain above Lyons. All three have easy access and are great medium-sized streams. If you have a full day, I would go up Boulder and down the St. Vrain - the drive between the two is worth the trip alone.

Chris

Post 26 Sep 2021, 07:58 • #9 
Sport
Thanks Chris - sounds like a great option in proximity to red rocks

New Topic Add Reply