It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:38

New Topic Add Reply
Post 15 Sep 2021, 13:34 • #1 
I’m looking for a 4wt between 7’ and 7.5’ but it need to be a 4 piece. Does anyone have and experience with the Epic 476. I’ve heard they are pretty fast and may fish closer to a 5 wt. Any comments would be appreciate.

I also understand that Orvis is going to be “reintroducing” their fineglass line this December. Has anyone heard if it’s going to. E changed in any way from the older fineglass models?

Thanks

Post 15 Sep 2021, 17:12 • #2 
Guide
Following for new Orvis news. I’ve been trying to get my hands on the SFG 4wt.

Post 15 Sep 2021, 18:10 • #3 
Master Guide
I have an Epic 476 built out by Chris Barclay. It’s the original three piece version. I’m usually surprised when I take it out to cast at how nice a rod it really is. I’ve tried it with a 5wt line, but I definitely prefer it with a 4wt. I would say it’s on the faster side of a medium progressive action, so the line it works best with is going to be a largely personal choice. Quite pleasant to cast, but not a rod I have much need to fish, since I have several other (mostly bamboo) rods that fill that need.

BTW, Orvis still lists their Superfine glass rods as in stock. I take you’ve heard they are being revamped in some way? A cosmetic refresh, or complete redesign, I wonder…..

Post 15 Sep 2021, 19:13 • #4 
Guide
Cross Creek, if you select a glass rod on the Orvis site it shows a shipping date of December. Same when I visit a shop, none available.

Post 15 Sep 2021, 19:21 • #5 
Master Guide
I personally would not say the Epic's are "fast", even though they advertise them as "fast glass". The term Fast, Medium Fast, Medium and Slow should be used to say where the rod will initially flex when put under a load.

I've found the Epics to be a "medium even flexing blank" when referring to the short and lower line weight models. The Epic 476 is a decent blank, will load a DT4 line well, pleasant casting rod. CTS has in my opinion a better 7'-6" 4wt, almost the same flex profile, but in a lighter in hand feel to the blank.

Post 15 Sep 2021, 20:25 • #6 
jrod88
I spoke to Trident several days ago and they had a new SFG 4 wt in stock. I believe they are 3 piece however, I’m lookin for a 4 piece. You might give them a call.

Talking with two different Orvis store managers, they “think” there “might” be few changes in the new 2021 rods released in December but are not sure. Guess we’ll have to wait and see.

I’m semi aware of the CTC/EPIC story and was wondering if their 476-4 blanks are similar and how they would compare to a ********* or Barclay in action /flex/“power”.

Thanks

Post 12 Nov 2021, 10:26 • #7 
I have an Epic 476 fastglass and I really like fishing it in small streams. It is very fun to cast and really fun to feel a trout tugging on the line.

Post 12 Nov 2021, 10:57 • #8 
Guide
Just a suggestion but check out the Tiemco line of yellow Fenwicks that Blue Dun has I thin one of them is a 7'7" 4piece 4wt.

Post 12 Nov 2021, 11:57 • #9 
Guide
I think Epic is better compared to the Orvis rod. The quality of the wraps on the Epic is so much better than Orvis. I really can't comment on the fishability on either as I have never fished then just the Superfine rod and the tip broke twice. It's no longer with me.

Post 12 Nov 2021, 12:48 • #10 
Master Guide
Cross Creek, that do look like an Airedale in your avatar!

Post 12 Nov 2021, 14:37 • #11 
Guide
I have the Epic 476-3 and 476-4. Also have the Orvis SFG 764-3. All three are accurate, fun to cast rods that will lay a fly where it needs to be within 40 feet. To me they are interchangeable. You would not go wrong with either. The Epics are a little pricey. I have four of them(also a 580-3 and 580-4), bought two on this site from folks building from a blank when they first came out, another used and another on closeout. If you are paying retail, the Orvis is the better buy. If money is less of a concern either will work. If it must be a 4 piece, would have to be an Epic unless the new Orvis is a 4 piece.

Post 13 Nov 2021, 08:57 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
The Epics and the CTS especially are somewhat higher performance material - which may or may not be crucial in a 7"6" 4wt rod. Agree that you would be well served by one or the other. Honestly an old Fenwick FF 75 or FF755 makes for a great 7'6" rod as well (but a 5wt not a 4wt).

Can't really go wrong here. If I was looking for something really special I would however have someone build a rod from a CTS blank (original supplier of Epic blanks).

Post 13 Nov 2021, 21:20 • #13 
I have an Epic 476-4 that I built. Love it. Use a DT4 line and it is a nice sweet casting rod. Actually pretty amazed at how well it does. Nice soft casts and roll casts are easy to do. Have caught browns up to 16” and handles them easily. Love the rod, it’s an absolute hoot to fish with.

Post 15 Nov 2021, 11:54 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
Txmiller wrote:
I also understand that Orvis is going to be “reintroducing” their fineglass line this December. Has anyone heard if it’s going to. E changed in any way from the older fineglass models?

Thanks

If by "fineglass" you mean "Superfine Glass" which is the current and only glass offering from Orvis, my sources at Orvis tell me they are unaware of any changes to the line coming in the near future.

Post 15 Nov 2021, 16:44 • #15 
Master Guide
CTS has a 4pc 764 option. i also think they CTS and similar Epic rods are quick to recover and can be pushed to generate higher line speed than some other blanks out there. the Orvis super fine 7' 3wt is a very light in hand 4 wt. i was just out front casting it with a 3wt DT peach line and a SA DT 4wt line. both worked well but since the 4wt line didn't seem to stress the blank i would call it a solid 4. all that being said, i fish an epic 764 a lot more than the orvis.

New Topic Add Reply