It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 19:15

New Topic Add Reply
Post 14 Sep 2021, 14:54 • #1 
Hello!
My first message here. I have been fly fishing over 42 years now, but I bought a new glass fiber rod after 40 years with graphite rods. It is an Epic 686, older model, 3 piece.

I have been testing a lot of different lines: a very short head wf-5-f ( Air Flo Xceed, quite ok), some cheap normal wf-5 (impossible to cast, powerless), a very long belly new wf-6 (Guideline Highwater Evolve, quite ok, but felt light), and a very very old Cortland DT-7.

Very odd, the old, I think more than 35 years, Cortland peach 444 dt-7 felt best of all. It was smoothest to cast, and also flew as long as those wf-lines. Which lines should I still try? Would a DT-6 feel even better? I have had not a dt-6 to dry, and nore any one of my friends. What lines would you recommend for me?

KaitsuH

Post 14 Sep 2021, 16:28 • #2 
Administrator
Hi KaitsuH, Welcome to the Forum!

If the rod feels best to you with a DT7, then use the DT7. Don't make the process difficult. Spend your time fishing with your new rod before winter comes. Next spring you can decide if you need something new and different.

Tom

Post 14 Sep 2021, 16:35 • #3 
Master Guide
SA MED6
Which is the Scientific Anglers Mastery Expert Distance WF-6-F... the rod was designed around that line.

Post 14 Sep 2021, 18:13 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
fred good call.

Post 14 Sep 2021, 19:21 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
I have that rod and it is probably my very favourite all around single hand rod, from trout to warm water. For me it’s a solid 6wt that can handle a 7wt with authority, but I know others prefer it as a 7wt.

I’ve tried a ton of lines on it over the years, and the ones I use regularly now are:
-Rio Trout LT 6wt (if I need it to be delicate)
- Epic Glassline WF6 (all around)
- Rio Smallmouth 6wt (bass bug type)
- OPST Commando Smooth, 200gr with 7.5 ft OPST tips or Rio Light MOW tips.

It’s a GREAT single hand spey rod with that OPST line. So much fun.
I agree that the SI 6wt Expert Distance is a great casting match as well.

Have fun! It’s a great great rod.

Post 14 Sep 2021, 19:30 • #6 
Master Guide
I have the first generation Epic 686 in a four piece configuration. My line preference depends on the size of the flies I fish. For 6wt trout flies (ie. chubby Chernobyl with a dropper or two), I like the 406 DT6.

However, I use the Epic 686 more often with 3-5” streamers and bass poppers. For bigger flies, I like WF 6.5 or 7wt lines. The overweight Orvis bankshot or warm water 6wt lines work well, and I’ve also been using a Cortland clear Camo intermediate WF7 for streamers.

I think of the 686 as a 6/7wt rod, so I wouldn’t use anything lighter than a solid 6wt line.

Last edited by El Duderino on 15 Sep 2021, 08:09, edited 1 time in total.

Post 14 Sep 2021, 21:39 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Good feedback so far. Fish what you like on it, first and foremost.

I have the 4-piece version of the 686, built about 10 or 11 months after they transitioned from three pieces to four. I wouldn't want to fish it with less than a true 6-weight line. It handles anything from a true 6 to a 7 fine for me. I just bought an old SA GPX to use the next time I take it out, and I think that will be just about right.

Post 15 Sep 2021, 07:58 • #8 
Thank you very much for your answers! I am going to keep my DT 7, but, I also get a SA Mastery Expert Distance wf-6. I managed to swap an other line for that.

I would also like to test an OPST Commando some day.

Kai Heltola

Post 15 Sep 2021, 08:44 • #9 
Guide
I have the 3 Epic 686 too. Best trouty 6wt I ever fished. I use a Sci-Angler Heritage Ultra 6WT WF line on it for dries/poppers and nymphing. I I also use a Teeny T-200 sink tip of a type VI Sci-Angler full sinker for streamers. The Heritage Ultra was designed for glass rods, but sadly its discontinued. I also liked it very much with a Cortland 444SL 6WT WF line too.

Enjoy that rod, the 3 piece Epics are hard to find these days.

Post 21 Sep 2021, 12:59 • #10 
Hi!
I got a SA Expert Distance wf6 -line. I was just testing it, it is very good! Or not very good, it is best! Thanks a lot, now I have the best allround kit I can think.

Post 21 Sep 2021, 18:01 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
Ruff Hunter wrote:
I have the 3 Epic 686 too. Best trouty 6wt I ever fished.

Yeah. It’s such a great rod. It does everything well.

Glad you like the Expert Distance! It is a superb match for pure casting pleasure. When it came to fishing I found it hard to turn over larger flies with that line, but it was a joy to cast.

Post 26 Sep 2021, 14:24 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
Expert distance is a great line. Very versatile line with nothing extreme about it, true to weight as well I believe.

I remember the 686 (I gifted one I made to a friend) as being a pretty versatile rod. I can't help thinking that the best line is always the one that suits the purpose at hand best. Depending on the fishing application you can comfortably use anything from a DT 5 to WF7 on it but for overall casting pleasure, efficiency and versatility the Expert distance 6 is the ticket.

New Topic Add Reply